Join Early Retirement Today

New fridge recommendations
Old 04-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

New fridge recommendations

After 2 years of fighting with the warranty company, we have finally been granted a refund of our money for our last fridge purchase. So, now itís time to be finding a new model.

Our last fridge was a Samsung French door with ice maker and door dispenser. What a lemon it was. We definitely will not be considering another Samsung.

Iíll be checking Consumer Reports, but wanted to ask this consumer group of experts about your experiences. Any models to avoid? Any you have that you love?

Our desire is for the French door type, with freezer on bottom, or a side by side. We would like the ice dispenser in the front door although the actual ice maker can be inside the freezer itself. Just want a reliable fridge, with reliable ice maker. Doesnít seem like too much to ask. But appliances these days are........bad.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Muir

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year we bought an LG with french door, freezer on the bottom. Ice maker and water in the door. The shelves are all spill proof (slightly lipped). Has a large drawer that you can adjust temperature for deli, produce, meats, along with three smaller drawers.
I love it! It has the space for my largest pans and casserole dishes.
Water and air filters need to be replaced about every 4-6 months (control panel will let you know)--this is the only ongoing extra expense, but worth it for us. Our previous model was a Jennaire side by side, which was Ok, but n to roomy enough and it was over 20 years old.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Another satisfied customer of LG. My built-in fridge is a ginormous GE Monogram side-by-side, 16 years old, but I was having issues with limited refrigerator space whenever making large stewpots of food or DH wanting to stash more and more beer in the fridge. Finally last year I sprang for a 2nd fridge in the garage, a French door LG with freezer on the bottom. Because I didnít really need a door ice-maker in the garage, I opted for the ice maker inside the bottom freezer. Trouble-free so far, no complaints. Canít really gauge the noise level, being in the garage. I also have an LG high efficiency washing machine I bought 8 years ago, and have been completely satisfied with that machine.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

I'm no help because we're very happy with our 8-year old Samsung french door fridge. Sorry you got a lemon.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our next fridge will definitely have a bottom freezer with a pull-out drawer. Our lake home fridge has this and it is very easy to find things. Our home fridge has a door, then a couple of full width pull-out baskets which are constantly jammed with stuff that is wedged in between them, stuff jammed along side them, and occasionally something falls out the back of the basket and keeps us from pushing it back in. Then we have to unload and remover the whole thing. Grrr .... Never again.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
We would like the ice dispenser in the front door although the actual ice maker can be inside the freezer itself. Just want a reliable fridge, with reliable ice maker. Doesnít seem like too much to ask.
When we were shopping for a fridge I was told by a few different salespeople that over 95% of repairs and complaints with them are due to the ice dispenser. We got one that makes ice, but just drops it into a bucket in the bottom of the freezer, so we have to pull the drawer out to get the ice. It's no big deal, and actually works better than any ice dispenser I've ever seen. Those suckers take forever to dispense a few cubes. You might want to look into something like that.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Our five-year-old Kitchenaid-labelled French doors, full depth (not counter depth) has an icemaker in the freezer and water through the refrigerator’s interior left jamb. We like it but it had a software glitch very early, later needed the icemaker replaced (Abt, a Chicago appliance retail institution, honored the slightly expired warranty), and something else last year caused it to leak on the kitchen wood floor but we caught that before the floor was damaged. Other than that I highly recommend it!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #8

We also replaced a Samsung French door refrig. It had a design flaw that caused it to leak water and freeze.

We purchased this model Whirlpool French door from Costco last June. The installed cost was $1,537. The MSRP at Whirlpool is $2300. I did not see this model currently at Costco. But others have it. I would recommend it.

Edit: Upon further investigation it appears this model may no longer be available or it has been discontinued. This appears to be the current similar model carried at Costco. It is $1699.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Another satisfied customer of LG. My built-in fridge is a ginormous GE Monogram side-by-side, 16 years old, but I was having issues with limited refrigerator space whenever making large stewpots of food or DH wanting to stash more and more beer in the fridge. Finally last year I sprang for a 2nd fridge in the garage, a French door LG with freezer on the bottom. Because I didnít really need a door ice-maker in the garage, I opted for the ice maker inside the bottom freezer. Trouble-free so far, no complaints. Canít really gauge the noise level, being in the garage. I also have an LG high efficiency washing machine I bought 8 years ago, and have been completely satisfied with that machine.
We probably have the same fridge, sans any ice maker. Great fridge, lots of space and a great big freezer. We don't have any icemaker, it came with the house so it was the prior owner who ordered it that way. I understand his logic and it's not hard to make ice.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I probably had the only lemon LG french door refrigerator . It died at 3 and a half years old and Lg customer service was awful.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel pretty lucky ! My old Norge purchased in early 1982 is still going ! Dang, I probably just jinxed myself.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Our last fridge was a Samsung French door with ice maker and door dispenser. What a lemon it was. We definitely will not be considering another Samsung.
OMG! Flashbacks here!

We bought a Samsung from Best Buy probably 13 to 15 years ago. Within 2 or 3 years it had an issue - the one Samsung repairman in the state didn't even want to come out to look at it and said "just throw it away and get a new fridge". So pissed off. Never again.

Anyhow, only GE appliances since then. Never disappointed.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Thanks swakyaby. Can you tell me what model LG? Iím probably fine with an ice maker inside the freezer, instead of a door dispenser. Like the older fashioned types that actually worked. Was that an option on your model, or just the way it came? When Iíve looked, it seems these days all French door type fridges come standard with the door dispenser and ice maker.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
When we were shopping for a fridge I was told by a few different salespeople that over 95% of repairs and complaints with them are due to the ice dispenser. We got one that makes ice, but just drops it into a bucket in the bottom of the freezer, so we have to pull the drawer out to get the ice. It's no big deal, and actually works better than any ice dispenser I've ever seen. Those suckers take forever to dispense a few cubes. You might want to look into something like that.
I suspect this is spot on. The problem is it seems every French door model comes with door ice dispenser as standard. Iíd be fine having to go inside the freezer to get my ice, given that method seems to actually work. And I couldnít agree more about how slow those door dispenser suckers are. Iíll be social security eligible before my cup fills with ice. And they grind loudly as well. Just having trouble finding a model with ice maker like you describe (with French doors so DW is happy).
Old 04-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The problem is it seems every French door model comes with door ice dispenser as standard.
We have one - an 8 year old Samsung French door bottom freezer without a TTD ice dispenser. Heck, we don't even use the icemaker as we don't drink our well water. It has been trouble free, so at least one more non-lemon Samsung out there.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got a Whirlpool Gold french door with freezer door on bottom. It's got a cold water dispenser *inside* the left door. The best of both worlds.

I didn't want to lose the refrigerator space that an in-door water and ice dispenser takes up, but I did want cold, filtered water on tap. There is a water spout mounted on the inside wall of the fridge just inside the left door. You press a button and you've got cold water.

Something to consider if you want cold water but also want the full storage space inside the fridge.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
I feel pretty lucky ! My old Norge purchased in early 1982 is still going ! Dang, I probably just jinxed myself.
darn you got me beat by a bit. My 1987 Kenmore is also still doing quite well. it will be a sticker shock experience I'm sure when i do have to replace it.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I have never even had a side by side, much less a French door refrigerator; nothing stylish at all. Not even water through the door. I admit it, I'm kind of stingy (although I usually do spring for an icemaker in the freezer).

That said, I've never paid much for a refrigerator and I have never had one break. I wonder if perhaps the simpler the refrigerator, the less likely it is to break? I have no idea. Anyway, food for thought.

Here's the frig that I had in my last house for 10 years with no breaking or trouble, and no repairs needed. I sold it with the house as an incentive, and bought a new one of the same model for my dream home. It's just a cheap Sears freezer-on-top model with an icemaker. It keeps my food cold at the right temperature, which is really all that I need. It is perpetually on sale, and right now it is under $599.99. If you are lucky, in the past sometimes it has been $100 less than that. I seriously doubt that anyone here would even consider a frig under $600, but just in case I am wrong, here's the link:

Sears.com
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have never even had a side by side, much less a French door refrigerator; nothing stylish at all. Not even water through the door. I admit it, I'm kind of stingy (although I usually do spring for an icemaker in the freezer).

That said, I've never paid much for a refrigerator and I have never had one break. I wonder if perhaps the simpler the refrigerator, the less likely it is to break? I have no idea. Anyway, food for thought.

Here's the frig that I had in my last house for 10 years with no breaking or trouble, and no repairs needed. I sold it with the house as an incentive, and bought a new one of the same model for my dream home. It's just a cheap Sears freezer-on-top model with an icemaker. It keeps my food cold at the right temperature, which is really all that I need. It is perpetually on sale, and right now it is under $599.99. If you are lucky, in the past sometimes it has been $100 less than that. I seriously doubt that anyone here would even consider a frig under $600, but just in case I am wrong, here's the link:

Sears.com

Thanks W2R. Iíll consider a fridge at that price. DW....not so sure. Guess Iíll find out.

I do think the simpler models fail less. I agree with that theory. Whatís funny is French doors donít sound like they should be a technical complication. Itís not like Iím wanting a fridge that sings to me.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Itís not like Iím wanting a fridge that sings to me.
In that case you would be wanting our dryer. It sings every time it finishes. Drives me nuts. It's just a $#@% dryer.

flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote