New fridge recommendations

MuirWannabe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
After 2 years of fighting with the warranty company, we have finally been granted a refund of our money for our last fridge purchase. So, now it’s time to be finding a new model.

Our last fridge was a Samsung French door with ice maker and door dispenser. What a lemon it was. We definitely will not be considering another Samsung.

I’ll be checking Consumer Reports, but wanted to ask this consumer group of experts about your experiences. Any models to avoid? Any you have that you love?

Our desire is for the French door type, with freezer on bottom, or a side by side. We would like the ice dispenser in the front door although the actual ice maker can be inside the freezer itself. Just want a reliable fridge, with reliable ice maker. Doesn’t seem like too much to ask. But appliances these days are........bad.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Muir

Last year we bought an LG with french door, freezer on the bottom. Ice maker and water in the door. The shelves are all spill proof (slightly lipped). Has a large drawer that you can adjust temperature for deli, produce, meats, along with three smaller drawers.
I love it! It has the space for my largest pans and casserole dishes.
Water and air filters need to be replaced about every 4-6 months (control panel will let you know)--this is the only ongoing extra expense, but worth it for us. Our previous model was a Jennaire side by side, which was Ok, but n to roomy enough and it was over 20 years old.

Another satisfied customer of LG. My built-in fridge is a ginormous GE Monogram side-by-side, 16 years old, but I was having issues with limited refrigerator space whenever making large stewpots of food or DH wanting to stash more and more beer in the fridge. Finally last year I sprang for a 2nd fridge in the garage, a French door LG with freezer on the bottom. Because I didn’t really need a door ice-maker in the garage, I opted for the ice maker inside the bottom freezer. Trouble-free so far, no complaints. Can’t really gauge the noise level, being in the garage. I also have an LG high efficiency washing machine I bought 8 years ago, and have been completely satisfied with that machine.

I'm no help because we're very happy with our 8-year old Samsung french door fridge. Sorry you got a lemon.

Our next fridge will definitely have a bottom freezer with a pull-out drawer. Our lake home fridge has this and it is very easy to find things. Our home fridge has a door, then a couple of full width pull-out baskets which are constantly jammed with stuff that is wedged in between them, stuff jammed along side them, and occasionally something falls out the back of the basket and keeps us from pushing it back in. Then we have to unload and remover the whole thing. Grrr .... Never again.

We would like the ice dispenser in the front door although the actual ice maker can be inside the freezer itself. Just want a reliable fridge, with reliable ice maker. Doesn’t seem like too much to ask.

When we were shopping for a fridge I was told by a few different salespeople that over 95% of repairs and complaints with them are due to the ice dispenser. We got one that makes ice, but just drops it into a bucket in the bottom of the freezer, so we have to pull the drawer out to get the ice. It's no big deal, and actually works better than any ice dispenser I've ever seen. Those suckers take forever to dispense a few cubes. You might want to look into something like that.

Our five-year-old Kitchenaid-labelled French doors, full depth (not counter depth) has an icemaker in the freezer and water through the refrigerator’s interior left jamb. We like it but it had a software glitch very early, later needed the icemaker replaced (Abt, a Chicago appliance retail institution, honored the slightly expired warranty), and something else last year caused it to leak on the kitchen wood floor but we caught that before the floor was damaged. Other than that I highly recommend it!

Last edited:
We also replaced a Samsung French door refrig. It had a design flaw that caused it to leak water and freeze. :facepalm:

We purchased this model Whirlpool French door from Costco last June. The installed cost was $1,537. The MSRP at Whirlpool is $2300. I did not see this model currently at Costco. But others have it. I would recommend it.

Edit: Upon further investigation it appears this model may no longer be available or it has been discontinued. This appears to be the current similar model carried at Costco. It is $1699.

Last edited:
Another satisfied customer of LG. My built-in fridge is a ginormous GE Monogram side-by-side, 16 years old, but I was having issues with limited refrigerator space whenever making large stewpots of food or DH wanting to stash more and more beer in the fridge. Finally last year I sprang for a 2nd fridge in the garage, a French door LG with freezer on the bottom. Because I didn’t really need a door ice-maker in the garage, I opted for the ice maker inside the bottom freezer. Trouble-free so far, no complaints. Can’t really gauge the noise level, being in the garage. I also have an LG high efficiency washing machine I bought 8 years ago, and have been completely satisfied with that machine.
We probably have the same fridge, sans any ice maker. Great fridge, lots of space and a great big freezer. We don't have any icemaker, it came with the house so it was the prior owner who ordered it that way. I understand his logic and it's not hard to make ice.

I probably had the only lemon LG french door refrigerator . It died at 3 and a half years old and Lg customer service was awful.

I feel pretty lucky ! My old Norge purchased in early 1982 is still going ! Dang, I probably just jinxed myself.

Our last fridge was a Samsung French door with ice maker and door dispenser. What a lemon it was. We definitely will not be considering another Samsung.

OMG! Flashbacks here!

We bought a Samsung from Best Buy probably 13 to 15 years ago. Within 2 or 3 years it had an issue - the one Samsung repairman in the state didn't even want to come out to look at it and said "just throw it away and get a new fridge". So pissed off. Never again.

Anyhow, only GE appliances since then. Never disappointed.

Thanks swakyaby. Can you tell me what model LG? I’m probably fine with an ice maker inside the freezer, instead of a door dispenser. Like the older fashioned types that actually worked. Was that an option on your model, or just the way it came? When I’ve looked, it seems these days all French door type fridges come standard with the door dispenser and ice maker.

When we were shopping for a fridge I was told by a few different salespeople that over 95% of repairs and complaints with them are due to the ice dispenser. We got one that makes ice, but just drops it into a bucket in the bottom of the freezer, so we have to pull the drawer out to get the ice. It's no big deal, and actually works better than any ice dispenser I've ever seen. Those suckers take forever to dispense a few cubes. You might want to look into something like that.

I suspect this is spot on. The problem is it seems every French door model comes with door ice dispenser as standard. I’d be fine having to go inside the freezer to get my ice, given that method seems to actually work. And I couldn’t agree more about how slow those door dispenser suckers are. I’ll be social security eligible before my cup fills with ice. And they grind loudly as well. Just having trouble finding a model with ice maker like you describe (with French doors so DW is happy).

The problem is it seems every French door model comes with door ice dispenser as standard.

We have one - an 8 year old Samsung French door bottom freezer without a TTD ice dispenser. Heck, we don't even use the icemaker as we don't drink our well water. It has been trouble free, so at least one more non-lemon Samsung out there.

I've got a Whirlpool Gold french door with freezer door on bottom. It's got a cold water dispenser *inside* the left door. The best of both worlds.

I didn't want to lose the refrigerator space that an in-door water and ice dispenser takes up, but I did want cold, filtered water on tap. There is a water spout mounted on the inside wall of the fridge just inside the left door. You press a button and you've got cold water.

Something to consider if you want cold water but also want the full storage space inside the fridge.

I feel pretty lucky ! My old Norge purchased in early 1982 is still going ! Dang, I probably just jinxed myself.
darn you got me beat by a bit. My 1987 Kenmore is also still doing quite well. it will be a sticker shock experience I'm sure when i do have to replace it.

I have never even had a side by side, much less a French door refrigerator; nothing stylish at all. Not even water through the door. I admit it, I'm kind of stingy (although I usually do spring for an icemaker in the freezer).

That said, I've never paid much for a refrigerator and I have never had one break. I wonder if perhaps the simpler the refrigerator, the less likely it is to break? I have no idea. Anyway, food for thought.

Here's the frig that I had in my last house for 10 years with no breaking or trouble, and no repairs needed. I sold it with the house as an incentive, and bought a new one of the same model for my dream home. It's just a cheap Sears freezer-on-top model with an icemaker. It keeps my food cold at the right temperature, which is really all that I need. It is perpetually on sale, and right now it is under $599.99. If you are lucky, in the past sometimes it has been $100 less than that. I seriously doubt that anyone here would even consider a frig under $600, but just in case I am wrong, here's the link:

Sears.com

I have never even had a side by side, much less a French door refrigerator; nothing stylish at all. Not even water through the door. I admit it, I'm kind of stingy (although I usually do spring for an icemaker in the freezer).

That said, I've never paid much for a refrigerator and I have never had one break. I wonder if perhaps the simpler the refrigerator, the less likely it is to break? I have no idea. Anyway, food for thought.

Here's the frig that I had in my last house for 10 years with no breaking or trouble, and no repairs needed. I sold it with the house as an incentive, and bought a new one of the same model for my dream home. It's just a cheap Sears freezer-on-top model with an icemaker. It keeps my food cold at the right temperature, which is really all that I need. It is perpetually on sale, and right now it is under $599.99. If you are lucky, in the past sometimes it has been $100 less than that. I seriously doubt that anyone here would even consider a frig under $600, but just in case I am wrong, here's the link:

Sears.com

Thanks W2R. I’ll consider a fridge at that price. DW....not so sure. Guess I’ll find out.

I do think the simpler models fail less. I agree with that theory. What’s funny is French doors don’t sound like they should be a technical complication. It’s not like I’m wanting a fridge that sings to me.

At home, we have a Kenmore french-door with bottom freezer and ice and water in the door that is made by LG. While we did have a couple issues with it early on... just after the manfacturer's warranty expired but before the credit card extended warranty expired, since those repairs to replace the compressor and one door... it has been trouble free.

Those early issues may have something to do with it falling out of my truck on the interstate at 60 mph, but who knows.

Anyhow, I almost bought a similar unit on sale this week for $1,750 until DW nixed the fridge.

In any event, the manufacturer's warranties these days are skimpy... typically a year... so be sure to pay for it with a credit card that extends the mfg warranty. My Citi Double Cash Back card adds an additional 2 years.... so a total of 3 years.

Kenmore 70343 27.2 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator - Stainless Steel

Last edited:
I would get a Sub-Zero with a 12-year warranty.
Of course, you will have to redesign part (maybe, all) of your kitchen.
But, you are going to live many more years, so go for it. (That is what we did.)

What was the issue with the Samsung? I’ve had one since 2010 and although it makes an annoying loud popping noise once in a while (I suspect from thermal contraction) it’s otherwise been trouble-free.

We have the LG with French doors and bottom freezer. Overall, it's been a good unit. I do think it's a bit loud, but our kitchen opens to our family/TV room so it's probably just more noticed.

Back
Top Bottom