Join Early Retirement Today

New Gas Range shopping
Old 09-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Gas Range shopping

We finished our new kitchen and that included replacing the refrigerator and dishwasher. So far we've kept the old gas range. Everything works well and it looks fine. But it's white, from 1992, and all our new things are stainless steel. I'm not in a hurry to replace it, I want to take some time and learn about the current gas stoves.

I'm finding features like convection baking, steam cleaning in addition to Self Cleaning. Also, all the new ranges have the "edge-to-edge cooktop" and many have the large oval burner in the center. Some of them have a griddle option for that center burner.

So, if you have one of these newer gas ranges, what features do you use all the time and love? What feature do you never use? I'm thinking I might like to have the convection option, do you use that a lot? Does it make a big difference? Is the steam clean option worthwhile?

The griddle option appeals to me, I think I'd use that a lot. Do you have that and use it? Any drawbacks?

Here's my biggest question. My current range has drip pans on the stovetop. When you cook and make a mess (spatters, spillovers, etc) you can take the drip pans to the sink and soak them and scrub them. The new stoves don't have drip pans! Is this a problem? Do the spills wipe up easily from the area under the grates?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’m on my second gas range. My suggestions in order:
  1. Pay close attention to BTUs for each burner. The first one I bought (GE) was above builder grade but below premium, and I wish it had had more high BTU burners. It had 5 burners and only 1 was strong enough to boil a large pot of water for pasta (without waiting an hour - exaggeration but...). I’d want approximately one at 12-15K BTU, one at 10-12K, one at 1000-2000 BTU would be useful, and two medium BTU like 7000 BTUs. Unless you’re a pro, a 25,000 BTU burner is just for bragging rights.
  2. The tops on both ranges were one piece, easy to clean, no trays needed. But you can’t clean without moving the grates. The GE we had to take the 3 grates off to clean, and find someplace to put them while cleaning - a minor PITA. On the current range Whirlpool, we can take the 3 grates off to deep clean, BUT they’re hinged in the back so I usually just tip them back against the backsplash and clean away - FAR better than the old range grate config. Works very well, not a concern IME.
  3. I had 5 burners on both. The last one I rarely used for center burner, but we don’t griddle much. With the current range the center burner is the most powerful, so we use it often. See #1. But it’s rare we use more than 2-3 burners at a time, so 4 would work for us.
  4. We had a convection oven, and it’s nice for some things but you don’t want to use it for everything - baking in particular. DW would only use the oven with conventional times and temps, convection off. But convection is fine for most other oven cooking, speeds up cook times which can be handy.
  5. Self Clean works well, we don’t have steam clean.
Good luck.
Quote:
This is the key question, right? A home stove has, on average, about 7000 BTUs per burner. Some burners are lower, designed for simmering and low-heat cooking, and may put out 3000 to 5000 BTUs. And there may be one monster burner on a range that goes up to 12,000. (That’s the one you always put your pasta pot on!). Pro-style ranges for the home typically offer high-output burners varying from 15,000 to 25,000 BTUs.

New York chef Marcus Samuelsson offers his take on powerful ranges for the home user (in this case, himself). Despite the passage of time and the increase in BTUs offered on ranges, his comments still seem on target: “Flexibility,” he says, “is most important in a range.”¯ A variety of burners, one with high BTUs for fast stir-frying, and one with super-low BTUs (200 or 300) for simmering, offers the most flexibility for cooking. And Samuelsson points out, ”You can create a high-heat effect, like leaving the heat on with a cast-iron pan, but you can’t fabricate a low heat.”

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

You wrote "gas range". Is the oven gas or electric?
What is the width of the current range?
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #4

It's natural gas for both stovetop and oven. The appliance sites call it a range.

And it's 30".
Old 09-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
It's natural gas for both stovetop and oven. The appliance sites call it a range.

And it's 30".
Funny timing. Just bought one today. Did a bunch of research last week prepared to pay $700ish for a notch or two above builders grade ( big box and locals). Walk in today and it's post-labor day special price is $550. Guess they didn't move as many as hopped over the holiday weekend.
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lili View Post
Funny timing. Just bought one today. Did a bunch of research last week prepared to pay $700ish for a notch or two above builders grade ( big box and locals). Walk in today and it's post-labor day special price is $550. Guess they didn't move as many as hopped over the holiday weekend.
30", and we have propane so BTU less if an issue but new rig is 18,000.
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #7

We bought this one about two years ago, it's actually a little cheaper now than it was on sale back then: https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appl...x58h5600ss-aa/

It was very highly rated for a mid-range stove, and we've been very happy with it. We don't use the griddle, but do use the convection function sometimes. But mostly it is just nice to have a stove with digital temperature and timer controls, our last one was really basic.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #8

1. If you can bring 40 amp service to this location for a reasonable cost, then do it and get a “dual fuel” range. Electric ovens provide much greater control.
2. For us, a 20K BTU burner was a must as we love cooking with a wok.
3. We just dispensed with the range and remodeled the kitchen for $51K. But it was a 6.5-year-old kitchen. I got my Sub-Zero fridge and wine fridge.
4. For us, a convection oven is a must have.
5. Griddle useless as we have a 30 cm cast iron skillet.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife & I decided to totally remodel our kitchen a few years ago, & since we both love to cook, we splurged on a dual-fuel Thermador gas range: https://www.thermador.com/us/product...nges/PRG486WDH Not cheap, but we love all the features, from extremely-low burners, to one that looks like it's blowing our wok right off. Having dual ovens is a huge time-saver, when we're baking in one, & broiling in the other. The built in thermometers are extremely accurate, so if it says 350 degrees, that's exactly what it is. The griddle is also incredibly useful, allowing us to grill steaks right in our kitchen. If you cook a lot, it might be worth checking out these ranges.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We bought a Kenmore gas range when we rebuilt our home in 2011. Pretty happy with it.

DW isn't too keen on the gas oven.... would prefer electric oven and gas cooktop.

The oven does have convection and we use that more often than not... just annoying to hear the quiet "poof" as the oven burner lights every so often.

Our cooktop has 5 burners including an oval center burner but I find we rarely use the oval burner... occasionally for a griddle but splatter (bacon) creates enough of a mess that the whole cooktop needs to be cleaned so I usually cook bacon by putting the griddle out on the Weber grill.

We do like the turbo burner (one of the other 4 burners) that brings water to a boil very quickly.. Once water is boiling I then turn the turbo burner off and slide the pot to the rear burner for simmering.

There is a warming drawer below but we've never used it... we store pans in it.

Ours has three grates that we just pile on the adjacent counter while cleaning below the burners.

I've never heard of steam clean for ovens.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #11

We have a Wolf has cooktop that I love. It’s my favorite appliance from our 2015 remodel. Features I use regularly include ultra-low heat (simmer feature) on every burner and the “power burner” is great for pasta. Removing the grated to clean is easy. Just note that no matter how careful you are, over time, a stainless steel cooktop will get some scratches in it.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We've just moved into an existing house, and are annoyed by with the smooth-top electric range. Once I'm at home full time in the fall, we'll be looking at bringing in natural gas, which is already available on our street.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #13

We bought a GE Adora gas range to go with the microwave and dishwasher when we upgraded our kitchen from the contractor grade appliances.
It has 5 burners, the middle is a griddle we never use. It also has 2 regular burners, a big power burner, and a small simmer burner. We are very happy with it, especially DW, who does most of the cooking.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a dual fuel Kitchen Aid. I wish I hadn't bought it. Unreliable.
I would buy a gas range again for sure as I love the instant heat/temperature change.
BUT! If anything spills over, it burns real good to the outside of the pan. The burner is circular and burns towards the outside, so if you are boiling a pan of water, you can actually see the temperature difference where the flame is touching the pan. I would buy a star shaped burner or a burner that has a flame that points in multiple directions.
Absolutely love my convection. Would never go without. Convection is only good if you have no sides to whatever you are roasting/baking.
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #15

So not to put a damper on this discussion but was just reading an article today in the daily fish wrap that some metropolitan areas and states are considering prohibiting installation of gas appliances in new builds. I guess this is a bigger risk than farting cows. Obviously this won't affect your purchase but an interesting overreach again by those who know best.

BTW this reminds me that last night a young lady fro NW Natural stops by and asks me if I want to pay $4/mth to help offset the effects of cow manure. She looked so sincere but I couldn't stop laughing and wished her good luck
Old 09-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
So not to put a damper on this discussion but was just reading an article today in the daily fish wrap that some metropolitan areas and states are considering prohibiting installation of gas appliances in new builds. I guess this is a bigger risk than farting cows. Obviously this won't affect your purchase but an interesting overreach again by those who know best.

BTW this reminds me that last night a young lady fro NW Natural stops by and asks me if I want to pay $4/mth to help offset the effects of cow manure. She looked so sincere but I couldn't stop laughing and wished her good luck
I call bull!

Why are cow farts a problem now? The number of cows worldwide has been pretty stable.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-since-1990/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote