Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not just housing:

America’s Insatiable Demand For More Expensive Cars, Larger Homes And Bigger Debts

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post

It is easy for me to say those large houses are a waste since I have 1500 sq. foot which is too much for mostly just me. But if a wife and 2/3 kids were dropped into my home, I would certainly up the debt load to get myself some more space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 06-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Most of the rest of the world seems to get by just fine with less sq ft -

Average Home Sizes Around the World | Apartment Therapy

Our relatives in the old country think the house and car sizes here are nutters. I use to just chalk it up to cultural differences, but lately I am starting to see things more from their point of view.

When I was growing up houses in the U.S. just weren't as big, so this breaking away from Euro size houses in the U.S. is something that has occurred within the past several decades:

"Consider: Back in the 1950s and '60s, people thought it was normal for a family to have one bathroom, or for two or three growing boys to share a bedroom."

Behind the Ever-Expanding American Dream House : NPR
Old 06-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

It may have been "normal," but my sister and I distinctly remember hating it. Parents got to use the "big bathroom" (with the bathtub) and kids had to use the "little bathroom" unless we were taking a bath. We each had our our own bedroom (albeit small) and felt sorry for kids who had to share. If we had had to share a bedroom, there would have been two child deaths in our family.

I like space. I don't like the idea that every surface in the home must be continually "updated" to match whatever homebuyers are seeing on TV, even if it isn't really an improvement. It broke my heart to have to replace beautiful waxed hardwood floors, which never showed a scratch, with easily-scratched "gleaming" finished hardwood because "buyers don't like to have to polish their floors."

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post

"Consider: Back in the 1950s and '60s, people thought it was normal for a family to have one bathroom, or for two or three growing boys to share a bedroom."

Behind the Ever-Expanding American Dream House : NPR
Old 06-04-2014, 01:56 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think we are getting richer and be able to afford bigger houses. IMHO, it is the Super-size-it syndrome. We want a bigger house even if both of us has to work, put in OT whenever, work extra part-time job, etc. at the expense of retirement saving.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I get your point. Still, a higher savings rate means less current consumption, which usually has a deflationary impact, which is generally not a good thing.

To paraphrase St Augustine, Give us thrift, but do not give it to us yet?
I get your point, and I've long wondered what a "healthy" savings rate might be. Obviously 100% would kill an economy, and 0% or less is troublesome. Here's a chart including countries of varying fiscal health. And of course there's China which is much, much higher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savings-Rate-Germany-ECD.jpg (58.3 KB, 3 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote