Join Early Retirement Today

New hybrid/electric car advice
Old 02-25-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

New hybrid/electric car advice

I am thinking buying a new car this year for city use, preferably below $40-50K, maybe SUV (if mpg is good) and would be nice either electric or hybrid that is capable to drive on electricity only for say 20-30 mil.

Any real work advice out there?

PS: Do they still give tax credit for those ^ ?

Thx

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 02:14 AM   #2
Administrator

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Plug-In Hybrid | Let's imagine the new possible.

Prius plugin hybrid is new this year, range of 20-25 miles as an ev.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:37 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No numbers, but do know a guy who bought a used Leaf and is very happy. He sometimes takes his brother with him to the local mall and gets a free charge while he eats lunch there (his new hobby). Says it is like getting a free fill up with each meal.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The manufacturers are kind of disguising the hybrids now, and there are far many more models on the retail market than you realize.

Toyota and Lexus have sold more than anyone so far. But the Ford system is also very good.

This is one of those market segments where you'd have to carefully analyze, block them out by price and go drive'em. I prefer a real hybrid vs. a plug in as you can actually go somewhere in them without fear. And they're now pretty driver friendly.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If I actually wanted a hybrid, and was going to give up my legacy cars, I would look at the new Chevy Volt (back seat room is not that great though)..
Old 02-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
If I actually wanted a hybrid, and was going to give up my legacy cars, I would look at the new Chevy Volt (back seat room is not that great though)..
+1

When I was looking to replace my 2004 Chevy in late 2015 I considered a Volt. Really like the concept of the hybrid but the back seat room was too skimpy to be practical for adults.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We bought a 2016 Toyota Camry XLE hybrid last year. Love it! Mostly in EV mode for our driving around town now. But has good power for freeway on trips. I think I fill the tank once a month or two. Gas expense went way down in retirement!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We have an '07 Toyota Camry Hybrid and a '12 Toyota Prius, we've been thrilled with both. We've looked at and may buy a plugin hybrid, but there's a better than even chance we'll jump straight to an EV (Tesla Model 3?). There are several with enough range, around 200 miles or more, to satisfy our needs. But we'll still have one conventional hybrid to make longer trips easy. Even when/if chargers become more readily available, having to wait to recharge will be an issue for us - even superchargers take time.

I guess to the OP, the technology is plenty mature with many (but not all) automakers, no need to hesitate. Just a matter of choosing something that fits your needs and budget.

Tax credits are starting to run out, I think the EV credits start to phase out in two years. And state credits vary from state to state. So you have to pick a vehicle and research available credits where you are.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've had a Ford Fusion for almost four years* now. It's a big sedan and you wouldn't really know that it's a hybrid. We looked at the Volt, but the back seat is tiny. My parents like their Lexuses. My dad has the sedan and my mom just got her second CT hybrid.

*My husband parked it under a eucalyptus which did what eucalyptuses do, so most of the body is only two years old. At least no one was in the car at the time.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #10

My wife likes her '07 Prius, but for me the seats get tiresome after about 75 miles. The hatch and fold-down rear seats are is great features, though. Love the HID headlights, too.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I am thinking buying a new car this year for city use, preferably below $40-50K, maybe SUV (if mpg is good) and would be nice either electric or hybrid that is capable to drive on electricity only for say 20-30 mil.

PS: Do they still give tax credit for those ^ ?

Thx
City use only? Can you live with a sub-$10k, 2 year old off-lease Nissan Leaf with less than 24k miles on it? Tons of them available around here for that price. Here's one local used car dealer's inventory (no junk add-on fees), you could buy one and have it shipped for less than $1k and still come out ahead.

http://www.bmvwcars.com/inventory.as...00&ordby=price

No way would I buy a new electric car if all I needed was 20-30 miles a day. These things are dirt-cheap used because no one wants them with cheap gas and range limits.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post

*My husband parked it under a eucalyptus which did what eucalyptuses do, so most of the body is only two years old. At least no one was in the car at the time.
What do eucalyptuses do to cars?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #13

Here's a link with Federal and CA credits.

https://driveclean.ca.gov/pev/Costs/Vehicles.php

I'm in CA and purchased a used 2015 Prius Plug-in last year. It had the green HOV sticker (out of stock now) already assigned to the car so I can drive in the carpool lane alone until Jan 2019. This helps as I use it everyday for work and saves me about 30 minutes per day, sometimes more.

The car I replaced was a 2006 Nissan getting about 20 mpg in stop and go traffic. Without charging the Prius, I average 50 - 52 mpg in stop and go traffic. I might be able to get 54 - 55 mpg but I have to gun the car at times due to lane changes.

It works fine for my personal needs at this time, not my ideal fun car, but it serves a purpose. I think my RE will be aligned with the HOV sticker expiration as I value it more than the gas savings. YMMV
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
No way would I buy a new electric car if all I needed was 20-30 miles a day. These things are dirt-cheap used because no one wants them with cheap gas and range limits.
Though sales of EV's, Plug-Ins & Hybrids have recently hit a wall, they've been growing by leaps and bounds over the past 5 years. "No one wants them" may be a little strong, but used cars are always a better value for all cars, ICE models included.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #15

Make sure to drive a Ford Focus Electric FFE. We had one and loved it, a bit of a cheap Tesla for the driving feel but limited to 75-80 miles. We replaced it with a Ford Fusion Energi, a plug in hybrid. Only get 25 miles on electric but about 7k mi of 10k mi have been electric but we no longer have any range concerns. A used Leaf or FFE is a good way to go but if you have any range concerns then a plug in hybrid is a good idea, they really just work and I don't look for charging stations anymore, just charge at home. In any case you will want a 240v charging system.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

When I was looking to replace my 2004 Chevy in late 2015 I considered a Volt. Really like the concept of the hybrid but the back seat room was too skimpy to be practical for adults.
The Chevy malibu has a hybrid also gets about 49 mpg, I don't know about the electric only driving range. But the back seats have more leg room. (The Volt is a Cruise in disguise in that the seats etc are the same, and in the Cruse, if you put the front seats all the way back, the back seats are only for kids in car seats. ) The Malibu hybrid runs about 30k.
It has a smaller battery so the range is about 5 mi. (basically it sounds like electric in parking lots etc)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
And what would have happened to anyone inside the vehicle?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #18

Chevy Bolt is all electric, if it's available in your area. BMW i3 would fit as well. Tesla Model 3 should be nice, but will be difficult to get for a few years as they work through existing reservations.
The Nissan Leaf would be a good value pick if you buy it used.
An all electric car won't have the problems a gas car would have with short trips and possibly infrequent use. DW's Mini quickly builds up carbon deposits if it doesn't get out on the freeway often enough. We hope to replace it with a Tesla Model 3.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
The branches like to fall off, especially if there's a car under them.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I saw several 2013 Leafs with less than 30K miles offered locally for less than $7K. Very tempted to get one just to drive to grocery stores or to the library, if I do not still have 3 cars that I do not want to get rid of.

There has to be something about the propulsion battery that makes the car depreciates that fast.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote