Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I can see leaving the home without the Watch but never the phone.

And in home you have Wifi.

So I think the value of the LTE Watch would be for people who want to jog without having to carry the phone.
Actually I am just the opposite. I plan to wear the Watch 24/7 except when charging and showering (I can shower with it but don't want to -- that will be a good time to charge).

I don't jog but I can think of a few situations where the LTE version is helpful.

1. At the Y when I am doing strength training. I can carry a phone in my pocket but it tends to easily fall out as I move. There aren't good places to put it down except the floor. With my Fitbit I had to bring the phone in because I used a chest strap for that activity and it couldn't talk directly to the Fitbit. It can talk to the Apple Watch.

So I will keep the phone in the car while I am at the Y. I like having the Watch be functional without the phone there.

The above is enough alone to make me want the cellular version. But a couple of other situations.

2. Outdoors at home.

3. Walking in the neighborhood.

4. Going in a store with DH where I don't need to pay so don't need my phone or credit card. I can just leave the phone in the car.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

The Apple Watch has GPS, so it can track me cycling or walking in the neighborhood or swimming. I don't need the phone with me to monitor or record the exercise.

I can't receive a phone call or text in those situations, but that is not a problem for me. I can catch back up with those communications later.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I play pickleball for a few hours every day and I don't keep my phone on me when I'm on the court, so the watch allows me to stay connected when the phone is far away in my gym bag. And when I swim I don't take the phone into the pool with me but the watch keeps me connected as long as I'm not under water. It's also great at keeping track of my pace when swimming laps.

When I go for a walk I don't like to carry my phone. It's too big to fit comfortably in my pocket. So there are many times I'd prefer not to have a phone on me but still want to stay connected in case someone is trying to reach me.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I thought watches were going out of style since everybody has a clock on their phone?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I thought watches were going out of style since everybody has a clock on their phone?

That is so yesterday.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I play pickleball for a few hours every day and I don't keep my phone on me when I'm on the court, so the watch allows me to stay connected when the phone is far away in my gym bag. And when I swim I don't take the phone into the pool with me but the watch keeps me connected as long as I'm not under water. It's also great at keeping track of my pace when swimming laps.

When I go for a walk I don't like to carry my phone. It's too big to fit comfortably in my pocket. So there are many times I'd prefer not to have a phone on me but still want to stay connected in case someone is trying to reach me.
In the laps example - I leave my phone at home and swim in the pool, and the watch tracks my laps and pace just fine.

As far as I can determine, with the LTE connection:
You can receive calls and texts.
You can stream a lot more music.

All the workout related things don't require the phone to be with you.

If you have an LTE capable watch without an LTE plan, you can still make emergency calls.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #67

I picked up a new Series 4 watch this morning. The Apple didn't have all the models available on day 1, but they had the one I wanted.

There was no "activation fee" with at&t for the cellular service . It's $10/m and the first month is free. Don't know what the "taxes & fees" are yet. They'll show up on the next bill.

The screen seems enormous actually. It's not really, but the extra size is nice. Physically it's a tad bigger too. I had a 42mm and now have the 44mm. Fits my wrist the same as best as I can tell.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I picked up a new Series 4 watch this morning. The Apple didn't have all the models available on day 1, but they had the one I wanted.

There was no "activation fee" with at&t for the cellular service . It's $10/m and the first month is free. Don't know what the "taxes & fees" are yet. They'll show up on the next bill.

The screen seems enormous actually. It's not really, but the extra size is nice. Physically it's a tad bigger too. I had a 42mm and now have the 44mm. Fits my wrist the same as best as I can tell.
How crowded was it? We decided not to go today expecting huge crowds and will pick up our new watches next week.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Anyone order?

I ordered an iPhone XS Max (gold 256) which will be delivered on 9/21. This was a year where I think a lot of people will skip upgrading as it is a more incremental year. Next year is probably a "better" year to upgrade.

I upgraded for 2 reasons. First I do the Apple upgrade program. I have to pay the sales tax on an upgrade but otherwise the monthly amount doesn't change much. Of course, I was halfway through paying for the Apple X and now I have a new 2 year agreement so I understand that I am paying for it.

If Apple had only offered the iPhone XS for this year I don't think the upgrade would have been worth even using the upgrade program.

But, I did decide to go for the bigger screen of the XS Max. It was a bit debatable because I did like the X being smaller in width/length than my 7 Plus had been. That said -- the extra screen real estate on the Max is attractive. I particularly was swayed by the option of a split screen in horizontal mode for some apps. That is very, very attractive to me.

Still - if I hadn't been on the upgrade program I might have waited for next year's model.

I also today decided to order an Apple Watch 4. I have been on the fence about the Apple Watch ever since it came out. I have long used a Fitbit and been happy with it. In fact, I have the Fitbit Versa smartwatch which is only a few months old. (DH will likely inherit it from me).

I felt that the Apple Watch fitness stuff wasn't as good as on Fitbit and I didn't like that it didn't measure heart rate continuously.

Also, battery life isn't as good and many people have to charge the Apple Watch overnight. I would want to use it at night with sleep tracking apps.

But -- I finally decided this was the year to switch. The big draw for me was couping the Apple Watch with cellular with the iPhone Max.

Currently with my Fitbit, it doesn't measure calorie burn/heart rate very well when I am at the Y doing strength training. So I use a chest strap heart rate monitor. Fitbit won't allow the chest strap to directly attach to it. Instead the chest strap has to talk to an app on my phone and then that app sends the heart rate data to Fitbit and I get better calorie burn data.

The negative is that I have to have my phone with me while exercising. That is tolerable with the iPhone X but I don't look forward to it with the iPhone Max.

The Apple Watch 4 solves this problem. No -- it isn't any better at measuring calorie burn and heart rate during weight lifting. But -- it will let you directly sync a chest strap monitor with it. So, I don't have to have my phone there. Now -- I like having a phone available however.

That is why I am getting the cellular version of the Apple Watch. It will act as a phone in the absence of my actual phone. That way when I am places where a large iPhone would be inconvenient to use I can just use the Apple Watch.

I think the battery life will be OK. I can charge it when I am getting dressed, showering in the morning and then charge again in the evening when getting ready for bed. That should be enough to get me through most days.

The Watch isn't scheduled to be delivered until 10/12 to 10/19 but maybe it will arrive earlier....
As an Apple stockholder, I thank you for your purchases.

Actually, I wasn't aware that the Apple Watch allows synch from a chest strap HRM. I'm currently using BOTH a Fitbit (for all day/night HRM) as well as a Garmin 230 - for which I use a chest strap HRM when running. I was intrigued with the new series 4 watch, now I am even more so. Thanks.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
How crowded was it? We decided not to go today expecting huge crowds and will pick up our new watches next week.
Not really crowed. Partially because the cheaper phone wasn't release, just the Xs and Xs Max.

I'd call your local store and ask them if it's worthwhile to stop in. I did that yesterday and they said they would have a number watches and phones available in the morning). My DS was able to pick up his watch at Best Buy. So that's another option to check (also Target and the phone stores at&t/Verizon/etc).
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
As an Apple stockholder, I thank you for your purchases.

Actually, I wasn't aware that the Apple Watch allows synch from a chest strap HRM. I'm currently using BOTH a Fitbit (for all day/night HRM) as well as a Garmin 230 - for which I use a chest strap HRM when running. I was intrigued with the new series 4 watch, now I am even more so. Thanks.
I didn’t either. I’ll check it out. My polar chest strap may be too old. I’ve been running it simultaneously with the polar app just to have an easy to see distant display while I’m doing my weights/cardio combo.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #72

I picked up my Apple Watch Series 4 today at the local Apple store. I preordered it so I was hoping the lines would not be too long. When I got there, there was only one person in line ahead of me. My total wait time was less than one minute. They even agreed to buy back my old watch for the same price as the online quote I got and I only had to give them the watch unit itself. They let me keep my wrist band and all my accessories. I had my new watch up and running before I walked out of the store, all in less than fifteen minutes from start to finish. It was a very pleasant experience.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I picked up my Apple Watch Series 4 today at the local Apple store. I preordered it so I was hoping the lines would not be too long. When I got there, there was only one person in line ahead of me. My total wait time was less than one minute. They even agreed to buy back my old watch for the same price as the online quote I got and I only had to give them the watch unit itself. They let me keep my wrist band and all my accessories. I had my new watch up and running before I walked out of the store, all in less than fifteen minutes from start to finish. It was a very pleasant experience.
Nice!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Which online place, Gazelle?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It must be at apple.com to pick up in the Apple Store.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #76

Quote:
I went with the Apple Buy Back program. When I placed the order for the new watch they offered me a trade in of $225 (series 3 cellular). Initially they were going to send me a box to ship the watch back, but when I got to the store they quoted me the same $225 if I just hand the watch over to them, so it worked out quite well.

I checked the other buyback companies and none were offering $225. I think the highest was Maxback, which offered me around $200, so the Apple buy back turned out to be both the most convenient and highest paying option.

I love the new watch too! The larger screen is great, especially with the new watch faces specially designed for the Series 4.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

DH and I received our XS Max watches on Friday. We both like them. I particularly enjoy web surfing in horizontal orientation. I bought the Max for the larger screen real estate and I think I will be pleased with it.

My Apple Watch was supposed to be delivered between 10/12 and 10/19 but it will be here this Monday. I am actually more excited about it than the phone because I haven't had the Apple Watch before. I have been in the Fitbit ecosystem for over 5 years so switching to something else is a little worrisome, but the research I've read is promising.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
That is so yesterday.
Darn! The calendar on my watch is off by a day.

Aren't they called "Clock Bracelets" today?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I love my Apple 2 watch, but until it dies, I see no need to upgrade to the 3 or 4.
I have Series 2...my own impression is that its a nice convenience but not terribly useful. I like that alerts/texts go to the watch as I can more politely keep an eye on the action during meetings.

I also use it as the most expensive alarm clock in history, and I don't get too much use out of the fitness features.

I find many of the iwatch apps to be borderline unusable however as it takes so long to sync/retrieve data from the phone that I can more easily just pull out the phone and do whatever I'm trying to do.

The Uber iWatch app is a great example. Its only of those things I desperately want to work well but at the moment seems like negative value added.

If the Series 4 delivers a major leap in app-level utility, I may get pulled over but likely not.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #80

Ordered a new iPhone XS for DW to replace her 6. She uses it constantly as a camera, and the camera improvements make it worthwhile for her.

Apple originally promised delivery by October 6, then changed it to Sep 27, and today they changed it to Sep 24 (tomorrow!). I've read that the XS Max is the more popular version, so I guess they have more of the regular size phone available than expected.