Join Early Retirement Today

New Job Offer
Old 07-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Job Offer

I just received a job offer in a neighboring state. My current state has no income tax, but the neighboring state does. So, I would pay income tax at the new job.

Does anyone know of a good online paycheck calculator to determine the impact of the income tax? I guess I am looking to see if taking the position would make sense financially (more $, or break even) or end up at a loss.

Thanks,
Bill
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New Job Offer
Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My employer sends us to Paycheck City for various calculators - don't know of any others, but the paycheck calculator is "state aware".
Da Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are close enough money-wise that you have to figure out state taxes, there had better be other reasons to take the job other than money.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is my observation that each state nips you one way or the other to pay for services. You probably pay sales tax now and if you are young and buying 'stuff' it adds up. Except for places like NYC, MA, and CA your total tax burden is probably a push.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
It is my observation that each state nips you one way or the other to pay for services.* You probably pay sales tax now and if you are young and buying 'stuff' it adds up.* Except for places like NYC, MA, and CA your total tax burden is probably a push.
According to his posting history, Bimmerbill is 39 with a brand new baby, so he probably has to buy quite a bit of "stuff". Having said that, there are many differences between states/localities: income taxes, property taxes on houses on cars (sometimes), sales taxes, etc. On top of that, housing and insurance may be considerably less/more expensive than what you are used to. You really want to take a close look at the whole picture.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been lucky with buying "stuff." We received a massive amount of hand me downs from everyone- the benefit of having a kid later in life after most of my family/friends already have older children.

The new job is a GS12, up from a GS11, so the raise would be pretty good. I just hate the thought of paying income tax. I never have.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

« Am I nuts? | Hats »