Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm surprised at that - I thought the compatibility was very high.

Were these macros in the spreadsheets? I think macros may be a problem for them, even simple ones.

-ERD50
Mm, I don't think so.

The calculations are relatively simple - taking #'s from various columns and multiplying/dividing etc. So I was surprised it didn't work either. When I tried to save them it would say that some of the calculations wouldn't be preserved...or when opening something made in excel, that they couldn't open them...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #42

I just took a look at my budget spread sheet. It works as advertised. It is a complex spread sheet with several vlookup tables, and multiple linked tables within. It has the inflation data and dow data histories in it, and when you put in a date it applies the increase and decreases to various columns to form a 25 year forecast. There is also a tax system that figures approximate income tax on earnings. This has a social security section to calculat how much is taxed. The thing figures a 25 year forecast of income and expenses based on two savings columns, 4 income colums, and the budget column. So it is a fairly complex spread sheet. It has some macros, but they were used for printing and I have not checked to see if they work. There are also no financial or other functions used. I have office just have not installed it as it is too much like business!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Mm, I don't think so.

The calculations are relatively simple - taking #'s from various columns and multiplying/dividing etc. So I was surprised it didn't work either. When I tried to save them it would say that some of the calculations wouldn't be preserved...or when opening something made in excel, that they couldn't open them...
I suspect there was something else going on. Maybe some complex formulas or macros that were ther,e but that you didn't see? I ended up hitting the macro key by mistake once, and somehow got a macro saved in my sheet, and it took me a long time to figure out where it was and how to get it deleted. Some of those ss can carry a lot of old 'baggage' with them.

I've played around a bit with an old (2007) version of OO - I just checked again and it read some of my fairly complex SS just fine, including one with simple formulas, but lots of graphics and formatting. It looked just fine. In fact, it looked so good I think I'll try Dl'ing the newest versions and give them a spin, I'm sure they have improved a lot from 2007-2009.

-ERD50
Old 04-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #44

I don't have the time, tech ability or patience to figure out why!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I have played around with Linux. Puppy and Ubuntu. I came back to XP. I run Web Expressions to update a couple of websites. It only runs in Windows.

I liked Linux, but in the end returned to XP because of several programs I run. I have two other laptops and a desktop.
Just curious - if it was not for those few programs, would you have stuck to Linux?

-ERD50
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #46

Maybe. Ubuntu is a lot like Windows or Mac in that it is a strong gui interface. It is easier to get things working with Mac/Windows than Linux. Printers, Scanners, WebCams, and such. It was easy getting my wireless working on Puppy and the laptop. It was H*LL getting Ubuntu to do the same thing. Broadcom wireless that you can turn off and on require a download from Broadcom and there is not a public domain driver. Took some internet searching to make it work in Ubuntu. All three major browsers, Ie, Firefox, and Opera worked well with both linux installs.

I got the printer, an hp all in one, working in both, but never got the scanner workiing. I got the webcam working but not for all applications.

So I would have no problem using either if it came installed on the computer and configured for use and I was surfing the net. If I wanted to expand it, or add new programs, it is not plug and play. Windows/Mac make it easy to add stuff, Linux does not. Having said that, I do have a desktop with Ubuntu on it. It is connected to the TV and it streams video through the net.

By the way, Puppy is much faster booting than Ubuntu, and Ubuntu seems to boot a little faster than Windows. I think I am going to try Puppy on a flash drive on this Asus and see how it works.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Puppy does boot very fast, I use it booting from flash drive on my laptop at work. Since it runs from a ram drive everything runs very quickly, it's a great option to make an older laptop perform well if you've got enough memory in it.

The version I have doesn't run Star or OpenOffice is uses Abbiword which I've found to be fairly compatible with Word, and Seamonkey web browser which does occasionally give me drama with fonts and css.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #48

I have downloaded firefox and opera, used it on both puppy and ubuntu. I prefer it to seamonkey.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Linux is behind on printer/scanner/fax drivers as many manufacturers (e.g., Canon) don't bother to produce Linux drivers and it is darn hard to write one without their co-operation. There is one commercial Linux driver package, but I don't know if it works for any multi-function printers (print/scan/fax) or how many printers it actually deals with.

This, and having to use Windows programs for work stops me from using Linux for my business machinery.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Linux is behind on printer/scanner/fax drivers as many manufacturers (e.g., Canon) don't bother to produce Linux drivers and it is darn hard to write one without their co-operation. .
Thanks for the replies all.

As far as printer drivers, back in the early days of Mac OS (10.2), I got my MIL's Mac to run with her unsupported old Epson printer by installing C.U.P.S. - it worked great, it just didn't have all the bells and whistles from the Epson drivers (cleaning, test prints, etc, but all could be done with buttons on the printer panel).

That was years ago, it probably is much more functional now.

CUPS

-ERD50
Old 04-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
By the way, Puppy is much faster booting than Ubuntu, and Ubuntu seems to boot a little faster than Windows. I think I am going to try Puppy on a flash drive on this Asus and see how it works.
That's what I was thinking. I was looking at some 8-16 GB USB flash drives (don't have one now) and see what I think of Puppy on my new 1000HE Asus Eee since I understand it can be booted from a flash drive and the entire OS can fit in memory (and I have 2 GB memory). It came with XP and if the "Puppy experiment" works well, I'd probably flatline the whole machine and reconfigure it to boot either Puppy or XP (and perhaps Win 7 in the future -- no way to Vista).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

2GB is a ton for Puppy, especially if you're mainly running the default lightweight apps they've bundled with it.

My coworker boots from flash too but he run Mint. That's a great distro and all but man that poor guy boots up then goes to get coffee for 10 minutes while his rig comes to life.

The version called Puppeee is supposedly built to have everything on your Asus configured to run correctly I'd be curious if that's your experience.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I was looking at some 8-16 GB USB flash drives (don't have one now) and see what I think of Puppy on my new 1000HE Asus Eee since I understand it can be booted from a flash drive and the entire OS can fit in memory (and I have 2 GB memory). It came with XP and if the "Puppy experiment" works well, I'd probably flatline the whole machine and reconfigure it to boot either Puppy or XP (and perhaps Win 7 in the future -- no way to Vista).
This is getting interesting. I see that amazon has the ASUS 901 for $280, free shipping.

That pupeee version sounds great, running from a flash drive sounds nice for security. I have a trip coming up, I am thinking about getting one to have a nice travel computer, and also thinking about adding a USB ext hard drive and using it as my music player at home.

Can you run Netflix streaming with this (boxee)? If so, this is incredible function for the price.

-ERD50
Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #54

I have streamed netflix with the asus. So far however, I have not been able to get a copy of puppy to boot to the asus from a usb. Could be the usb's but I doubt it. I have not tried it with my big computer yet.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Pulled the trigger today...
Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Pulled the trigger today...

So I've been curious about these netbooks and Linux for a while now. We will be taking a short trip end of May, so I decided it would be nice to have a very portable laptop to take along.

So I ordered the Asus PC 901 from amazon, $280, free shipping.

I'm poking around the linux, pupeee, and ASUS forums. I think my plan will be to get the basics working with the supplied linux distro, but then I'd like to try out pupeee.

In addition to just having a portable machine, I hope to use this (with an external USB drive) as my main music server, using the boxee app.

If things go well, I may go with Linux for my main machines going forward, but just looking at the forums, there sure seems to be a lot of "gobbledygook" to get through with installs and mods. Maybe it is not so bad once you get your feet wet.

I was tempted to go with the Dell mini 9, as that can be 'hackintoshed' to run OSX (a fallback if I really don't like Linux). But by the time you get comparable SSD, webcam and Bluetooth on the Dell, the price was > $400. I'll take the chance that Linux will be fine for me.

I'll update as I move along.

-ERD50
Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #56

I installed Windows 7 RC1 on my EEE 1000HE last night. It came with two partitions and the second one was unused, so now I have a dual boot with XP and Windows 7. There were a couple of hacks and drivers I had to manually reinstall, and out of the box the wifi driver in Win 7 doesn't work for this EEE model, but I was able to install one designed for XP that works.

So far I'm fairly impressed. The performance is pretty good, at least with 2 gigs of RAM. I'm using it now.

I've also installed a variant of Puppeee on a USB flash drive that I play with from time to time. I think the next version of Puppy Linux (version 5) will be more netbook-friendly so maybe I wouldn't have to use special homebrewed distros.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer, laptop