Join Early Retirement Today

new large shower -- walk-in versus enclosed
Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

new large shower -- walk-in versus enclosed

We're planning to remodel our master bath. I read the old threads about tub vs. bigger shower and for us, it's a no brainer for bigger shower.

We have plenty of space, so I'm looking for input on walk-in versus a large traditional enclosed. In either one, the main shower space will be roughly 5'x5'. I'm especially interested in input on two considerations for walk-ins:

1) Does it feel cold? With a smaller enclosed shower now, I've noticed the heat and steam build up in the enclosure and it can be a little chilly when first opening the door and stepping out. I'm concerned a large open walk-in might be an issue there?

2) Slippery/fall risk -- how big of an issue is this? I love the visual look and no chance of toe stubbing on the "one floor" design the accompanies walk-ins. Plus obviously the future proofing. But what about issues with slipperiness? A lot of porcelain and ceramic tiles can be dangerously slippery under the right amount of moisture whereas an enclosure can/often uses a shower pan engineered to be non-slip.

Plus any other pros or cons to either shower option and then shower design in general. Any surprises in terms of ability to clean in both the short and long term? What about considerations for a DW and shaving legs? Is a fixed bench or a movable seat/stool better?

someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is what we did a few years ago when we remodeled our bath. Does not feel at all cold. No problems with slippage even with the large tiles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shower2.JPG (44.4 KB, 342 views)

And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We did a walk-in up north - glass block and subway tile, an unnecessary curb at the entrance, granite corner benches (unused except to hold bottles of shampoo & squeegees), and an unglazed floor tile to address slipping. Down south we have a big enclosed shower in the 5x5 area. Shiny "rustic" Mexican tiles laid by a lesser mason for a contractor. The reduced grout area on the tiles up north make them easier to clean, as does the more regular tile surface and superior craftmanship. Colder weather up north, and the hot water is appreciated more - once under it I don't notice any further issues, including drying off time. I am more concerned about falling over while standing on one foot drying off and trying to catch myself on the glass door of the enclosed shower than the transition from unglazed to glazed floor tile up north. I really really like the open shower more.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My walk-in shower is one of the things I like most about my custom build home, especially when I consider "out of the norm" things. There are plenty of showers that have tile floors instead of a pan, so you should have no problems finding "grippy" tile. I don't feel issues with it being cold, though I guess I don't get a nice steam in there like more enclosed showers have. I always hated dealing with shower doors that could get a bit sticky, leading to issues of how hard you have to open or close them without breaking anything.

Shower.JPG
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Here is what we did a few years ago when we remodeled our bath. Does not feel at all cold. No problems with slippage even with the large tiles.
Very nice looking bath. What do you do for shaving legs?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #6

Preview
[QUOTE=someguy;1974672]We're planning to remodel our master bath. I read the old threads about tub vs. bigger shower and for us, it's a no brainer for bigger shower.

We have plenty of space, so I'm looking for input on walk-in versus a large traditional enclosed. In either one, the main shower space will be roughly 5'x5'. I'm especially interested in input on two considerations for walk-ins:

1) Does it feel cold?

2) Slippery/fall risk -- /QUOTE]

We had our remodeled in January. You might have seen a thread where I had asked similar questions... had a garden tub that had to go..

1. Have your contractor install a ceiling heater/fan. Solves the heat problem on chilly days. Our contractor does a lot of remodels for older folks and he's the one who suggested it. pic attached
2. We chose pebble floor. No chance of slipping. There are several to choose from... some would even hurt your feet.. pebbles too large... ours are perfect. pic attached.

good luck... would be glad to send you additional pics if you like.. we love the 'open channel' faucets we chose..very cool looking and functional.
(hope the pics post correctly, they were inverted in the preview)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171205_092157.jpg (525.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20171205_092136.jpg (298.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20171205_092147.jpg (421.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20171205_092206.jpg (748.4 KB, 101 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
gone traveling

My next bathroom remodel will be something like above, without a shower door
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We also put in a pebble floor and love it. We used glass pebbles in sea glass blue/green color.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #9

This is from during the remodel, but we went with a walk-in. The right side has a bench (below the rain showerhead). The right "ledge" has glass going up and the left side has a glass door.

No problems with cold or slippery conditions (smaller tiles on the floor provide decent grip).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0149.jpg (301.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0148.jpg (352.8 KB, 85 views)
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I replaced my bathtub with a shower when I remodeled my bathroom a few years ago - same dimensions as the bathtub. I still have a four inch threshold to get into the shower, but a lot easier to cross than stepping into a bathtub and no leakage into the rest of the bathroom as could happen with no threshold. The dimensions remain the same, so I do have touch stability on both sides of the shower, if needed, and as I age, I can add a stability handle to the wall. I did choose flooring tile that has a pretty good grip to it as I stand on it. I have a corner ledge about 14" off the floor to put my foot on while I shave - it works just fine. I love it!
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

WOW! You people are making me want to go out and spend a few thousand dollars right now!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

A while back we had Panasonic Whisper fans put in and they are quieter and move a ton more air than the original builder-grade junk.

Do you live in a warm enough climate where putting the shower valve on an outside wall isn't a freeze concern? For us, that is one logistical issue with a walk in -- our lay out is similar to yours except both of the two "full" walls are outside walls. So we'll have to have a furred wall for the shower head.
We could have them add a 48" furred out wall on the other outside wall which might double as a storage ledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Preview
We had our remodeled in January. You might have seen a thread where I had asked similar questions... had a garden tub that had to go..

1. Have your contractor install a ceiling heater/fan. Solves the heat problem on chilly days. Our contractor does a lot of remodels for older folks and he's the one who suggested it. pic attached
2. We chose pebble floor. No chance of slipping. There are several to choose from... some would even hurt your feet.. pebbles too large... ours are perfect. pic attached.

good luck... would be glad to send you additional pics if you like.. we love the 'open channel' faucets we chose..very cool looking and functional.
(hope the pics post correctly, they were inverted in the preview)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #13

Beautiful stuff. I do not see a lot of grab bars, however. With DW's hip replacement in February, I added a grab bar to our conventional tub/shower. We both actually like having it and, in the future, as we get older and more decrepit, I'm sure it will get more use.

Ours is an ivory/tan color that is an excellent match to the travertine marble that was already there. The surface of the bar is lightly textured, not rough. If I had a bath where I wanted some other color, it would be a simple matter to have the bar sand blasted and powder coated to suit. This would not be cheap but in the context of a new shower, the cost would probably not move the needle.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post

Do you live in a warm enough climate where putting the shower valve on an outside wall isn't a freeze concern? .
Central TX... cold not an issue.

One thing about our shower... the whole remodel revolved around getting rid of as much glass as possible. Hard water = horrible spotting, even if you squeege diligently. Thus, the pony wall was built up and a little glass on top. Easy clean.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Beautiful stuff. I do not see a lot of grab bars, however.
No reason whatsoever you couldn't add one or more to a walk-in shower. Tailgate's photo has one, and so does exnavynukes, and you can't see if mine does or not. Only one that clearly doesn't have one. I don't know why you bring that up as an issue.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Very nice looking bath. What do you do for shaving legs?

Ummmmm....NOYB?
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 12-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
No reason whatsoever you couldn't add one or more to a walk-in shower. Tailgate's photo has one, and so does exnavynukes, and you can't see if mine does or not. Only one that clearly doesn't have one. I don't know why you bring that up as an issue.
We built in reinforcement behind the tile when we did the bath for later placement of grab bars if needed.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #18

Even though we went the walk-in (no curb, no door) shower route because of DH's disability, I love it. We have a built-in bench tiled like the walls (DH sits on it, I use it for shaving legs, and we both store things on it). There are lots of non-slip floor tiles available. We have the fan-heater combo and it works great on the chillier days; upgrading above builder-grade for quietness is highly recommended. We have a half-wall with a "textured" clear glass above - the texture hides all the water spots so I don't have to squeegee but we still get light in the shower (no window in the room). Personally, I'd go ahead and put in the grab bars whether you need them now or not - I do find them handy on occasion.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #19

Without a bathtub does it still qualify as a full bath or just 3/4? I only have one bathroom and would love to do a big shower but I'm afraid it would effect the resale value (it might be a negative for people with children).
tinlizzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Beautiful stuff. I do not see a lot of grab bars, however. With DW's hip replacement in February, I added a grab bar to our conventional tub/shower. We both actually like having it and, in the future, as we get older and more decrepit, I'm sure it will get more use.

Ours is an ivory/tan color that is an excellent match to the travertine marble that was already there. The surface of the bar is lightly textured, not rough. If I had a bath where I wanted some other color, it would be a simple matter to have the bar sand blasted and powder coated to suit. This would not be cheap but in the context of a new shower, the cost would probably not move the needle.
Mine is fully handicap accessible with grab bars on both sides and sized to meet ADA requirements for wheelchair use. It was a requirement of the remodel so that my mom could use it.

exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote