Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Regarding Sleep Number beds- the original company that made these beds is called Comfortaire. After awhile, the partners split the company and one partner left to make the higher priced Sleep Number beds. We actually saved a lot by getting the Comfortaire version and it's basically the same bed.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

I got my new Sealy Queen 2 weeks ago and it's simply fantastic! My 'old' one was only around since mid-20 08 but 'my side' was already soften up and became somewhat unleveled. I figured it was about time for a new one. The top quilting gives just the right softness while the extra firm coils (which I specified) provide the perfect support for my back. I honestly haven't been sleeping that well for years. I must say this is the best investment (for $399) I had even made. And absolutely without regret. Period.
However, it felt a bit narrow on the first couple of nights (as my last one was a full King Size) but got used to it much quicker than I thought. After all, I'm no longer married and Queen Size is indeed big enough for me and my dog. My doctor says a firm bed is always much better for the back and I perfectly agreed. I would never recommend anyone to take the comfort option, really. I'm constantly getting back pains so I actually need very firm bed for lumber support. But unfortunately, my former husbands (now deceased) all preferred softer bed and I had never insisted. In retrospect, I should have. Anyway, just glad I finally got it right - despite 25 years too late. Highly recommended!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #23

I pulled the trigger and ordered a king split adjustable base Sleep Number from QVC last Sunday. Saved us about $1,500 over what the "sale" price was in the S.N. store.

It came today. OMG. 8 boxes big enough to contain human bodies. DH is just thrilled. not... I'll bet the UPS man was ready to spit this morning.

And, panacea said:
Quote:
I was thinking about the sleep number but I'm afraid to pull the trigger because I've had such bad luck with everything else we've tried. Sorry I'm no help to the OP but maybe I'll learn something from everyone else here. Here's a stupid question... what exactly is this adjustable base that a couple of you have referred to? Thanks!
FYI, QVC allows you to sleep on it for 30 days and then send it back if you don't like it. Sleep Number has a similar deal, but I believe you can only return it for in store credit. I'd rather have my cash back. But then you have to keep those 8 body-sized boxes around for 30 days so you can dismantle the sucker and package it back up. Just thought I'd mention.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBay View Post
FYI, QVC allows you to sleep on it for 30 days and then send it back if you don't like it. up.
Who pays the shipping? Then you get to piss off the UPS man again.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #25

Buyer pays the shipping, but it's better than being stuck with a very expensive bed that hurts your back for the next 20 years. YMMV.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any idea why you can't sleep on your side on a "air" sleep number bed? Does it sink in in the wrong spots. I have trouble already with arms falling asleep-when they are both numb it is hard to pull yourself up.

I'm about ready to give up my queen size bed for a twin. I sleep so close to the side anyway, might as well try for the middle of a smaller space.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBay View Post
I pulled the trigger and ordered a king split adjustable base Sleep Number from QVC last Sunday. Saved us about $1,500 over what the "sale" price was in the S.N. store.

It came today. OMG. 8 boxes big enough to contain human bodies. DH is just thrilled. not... I'll bet the UPS man was ready to spit this morning.

And, panacea said:

FYI, QVC allows you to sleep on it for 30 days and then send it back if you don't like it. Sleep Number has a similar deal, but I believe you can only return it for in store credit. I'd rather have my cash back. But then you have to keep those 8 body-sized boxes around for 30 days so you can dismantle the sucker and package it back up. Just thought I'd mention.
Thanks, Melbay. We went to the sleep number store yesterday and spent a bunch of money. DW loved the bed and although I was in too much paid from our current bed to really enjoy it, I think it'll be a nice improvement. And it sounds like returning for cash is no problem in that first 30 days... hopefully we won't need to worry about that! DW won't let me return it anyway.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #28

I sleep on my side and so does my husband. We don't have a problem with our sleep number bed.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've been very happy with the "Pure Health" mattress we bought from Anderson about 10 years ago. They've been making these air beds for a long time and the quality is good. We found the features compared favorably to the Sleep Number bed, but the cost was a lot less (no brick and mortar stores, no national advertising, etc). A queen-size mattress with memory foam atop the air channels (like the higher-end sleep number beds) is priced at $1875 with free shipping.
The web site is a bit funky, I think it's a small operation that builds their own products. Anyway, the price was right and we've been happy with the mattress.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

panacea -- I think you're going to love your new bed! It's amazing how much your life improves when you aren't in pain after sleeping!
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...(snip)...It actually feels better than the Rhapsody to me, now. So, I spent $59 instead of $10K and I sleep like a baby.
So what is the $10K going to do now? Just sleep in your account?
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
So what is the $10K going to do now? Just sleep in your account?
Good question!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I've never known anyone who sleeps as well as my cat.
Well, obviously you never met my late dog/daughter Emily Ann, who, as a puppy, slept in my office as many people traipsed in an out and all held conversations with me. She also slept securely in her cage at many a machine gun shoot, happily snoring away as the .30 and .50 cal autos blasted away and the dynamite laced targets exploded. She slept through dozens of fireworks shows also. I always used to say that I wanted to be as happy as she was and sleep as well.

I still miss her a real lot. Her passing away has left a giant, sad hole in my life.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #34

UPDATE:

Several nights of sleep on the adjustable base California Split-King Sleep Number Bed. I wake up when daylight peers through the curtains. For me, this is amazing because I usually wake up 3-4 times a night and try to get comfortable so I can fall back asleep. I'm sleeping straight through now (other than an occasional bathroom visit), so for me the 4 hours of "some assembly required" of putting it together was worth it.

We're both loving it! Just thought I'd close the circle on this.