Join Early Retirement Today

New Obama thread
Old 10-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

New Obama thread

I did not want to dignify the previously titled Obama thread with a response, so that is why I started a new one.

DH and I went to see him last night. It was part of his book tour - it was the biggest crowd for the book tour so far.

A lot of this may be projecting on my part, but I see him as the genuine article. He seems very sincere, funny and so intelligent. I believe that he is above the partisan bickering - time will tell I guess.

He signed my book and shook my hand and smiled a beautiful smile at me - I like this guy!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New Obama thread
Old 10-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i agree that he is, to date, quite impressive. but it is what has not yet been said that will be the deciding factor in his political future. need to wait and watch.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
I did not want to dignify the previously titled Obama thread with a response, so that is why I started a new one.

DH and I went to see him last night. It was part of his book tour - it was the biggest crowd for the book tour so far.

A lot of this may be projecting on my part, but I see him as the genuine article. He seems very sincere, funny and so intelligent. I believe that he is above the partisan bickering - time will tell I guess.

He signed my book and shook my hand and smiled a beautiful smile at me - I like this guy!
The american population elected GW Bush TWO TIMES!!!

His only real experience was being his fathers son and a bad gov of Texas.

RUN OBAMA RUN!!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about a Clinton/Obama ticket? After 8 yrs of Hillary as Pres, Obama could move up from his VP slot and take his turn for 8 yrs. He's a young guy and that scenario would give him 16 yrs in the White House. Anything more and we'd have to have a coronation.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
How about a Clinton/Obama ticket? After 8 yrs of Hillary as Pres, Obama could move up from his VP slot and take his turn for 8 yrs. He's a young guy and that scenario would give him 16 yrs in the White House. Anything more and we'd have to have a coronation.
I dunno, Hillary just does not do it for me. She should have left Bill, but then again what in the world do I know. The american people are not going to elect Obama, look what they did the past two elections.

I feel depressed about american politics.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
TWO TIMES!!!
Wow! You can count to two!

What the hell does FIRE have to do with political BS. Yeah, it's "other topics" but.....

I'd love to see a Political thread added to the forum..I'll donate $100.00 to help create it and have all political crap sent there.

I'm here to have fun, gain knowledge, not to be bored/annoyed with political commentary.

JFK was more Conservative than GWB. He's let the Republicans down in more instances/policies than I'd care to think about.

Still rather live here than any place in the world. Alec Baldwin even stuck around after flapping his' lips (assume you recall).

Dory, where do I send the check.

Thx,

W
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygador69
Wow! You can count to two!

What the hell does FIRE have to do with political BS. Yeah, it's "other topics" but.....

I'd love to see a Political thread added to the forum..I'll donate $100.00 to help create it and have all political crap sent there.

I'm here to have fun, gain knowledge, not to be bored/annoyed with political commentary.

you can ignore my posts.

got a problem?

Geesh..

JFK was more Conservative than GWB. He's let the Republicans down in more instances/policies than I'd care to think about.

Still rather live here than any place in the world. Alec Baldwin even stuck around after flapping his' lips (assume you recall).

Dory, where do I send the check.

Thx,

W
Old 10-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I dunno, Hillary just does not do it for me. She should have left Bill, but then again what in the world do I know. The american people are not going to elect Obama, look what they did the past two elections.
Naw....... Hillary is not GWB. And "anybody but Bush" is the answer. Therefore Hillary is for you. Beside, for the moment, you almost live in New York.

Obama would take a lot of flack for his inexperience if running for Pres. But as VP....... hey, that's where he could get his experience. And with Bill back in the White House as First Gentleman, he'd be there as a mentor to guide him along. He could sit with him as he presides over the Senate whispering in his ear, etc. It'll be a snap for Bill and Obama could really learn all the ropes.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Naw....... Hillary is not GWB. And "anybody but Bush" is the answer. Therefore Hillary is for you. Beside, for the moment, you almost live in New York.

Obama would take a lot of flack for his inexperience if running for Pres. But as VP....... hey, that's where he could get his experience. And with Bill back in the White House as First Gentleman, he'd be there as a mentor to guide him along. He could sit with him as he presides over the Senate whispering in his ear, etc. It'll be a snap for Bill and Obama could really learn all the ropes.
and bush had experience??

Look I do NOt like Clinton!

So what will you say about that.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and bush had experience??

Exactly. Bush failed to show you could handle the presidency without experience. I think that would be bad for Obama who also has little experience.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #11

The only people who have experience are the ones who have done the job. But most of them are dead or can't run again . . . .

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
The only people who have experience are the ones who have done the job. But most of them are dead or can't run again . . . .
There ya go. Hillary as Pres. Obama as VP with First Gentleman Bill as his mentor showing him the ropes and guiding him each step of the way.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #13

Shiny, wanna start again with the New, Improved Obama thread--with enhanced rant-fighting formula? : 8)
Old 10-28-2006, 06:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Hillary (President)
Barak (VP)
Bill C (Sec State)

Don't even think about responding Wallygator. If you were true to your statement you wouldn't be reading this thread
Old 10-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #15

I really like Obama from what I have seen also. I like Hillary. I think that she is a very intelligent lady and she does have a lot of political experience. Unfortunately, I don't think that our country would elect her and I doubt that they would elect Obama either. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and that our country would elect either a female or a black to the presidency, but I think that there are still too many "good old boys" out there.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:26 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
I really like Obama from what I have seen also. I like Hillary. I think that she is a very intelligent lady and she does have a lot of political experience. Unfortunately, I don't think that our country would elect her and I doubt that they would elect Obama either. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and that our country would elect either a female or a black to the presidency, but I think that there are still too many "good old boys" out there.
Dreamer...... Why create a self-fulfilling prophesey? If they don't run, they can't win.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Hillary (President)
Barak (VP)
Bill C (Sec State)

Don't even think about responding Wallygator. If you were true to your statement you wouldn't be reading this thread
Saw Ed Koch on Fox News this morning predicting it'll be Clinton vs. McCain. That would be interesting . . .

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #18

Personally, I'd like someome with experience as an executive. Obama has none. In fact he has less than 2 years in the Senate! and you guys are talking about Presidential aspirations? I have some land for sale in south Fla. Can I interest any of you Obama fans??
Old 10-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
Did you have your husband along to restrain you?

Ha
Old 10-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Personally, I'd like someome with experience as an executive.
I'd like someone who can apply intelligence and good judgment to solving problems and moving in new directions, who treats all justly (no preferential treatment for the wealthy or the religious, for example), and who is capable of hiring great people and making great decisions--not necessarily a person with a specific previous job experience.

Someone who commands respect among national and world leaders--instead of in the frat house. Not someone whose father's friends/colleagues are needed time and again to set him up in business/government and bail him out of financial and governance mistakes. I want someone who actually understands economics and international relations, chooses wise and diverse advisors (and avoids yes-men), and shows a preference for rationality over irrationality, ethics over partisanship, and understands that what makes America great isn't rah-rah jingoism, but taking the Constitution seriously.

I don't know yet if Obama is this person, but I do know that he's a lot closer than the guy we're stuck with at the moment.