New Orleans Comfort Food

LovesLife

Recycles dryer sheets
This was posted on the Good Morning America website. I made it for supper this evening and it was absolutely delicious. I substituted Emeril's seasoning for regular seasoning salt and next time I make this I will use less water (1/2 the amount) as I prefer a slightly thicker gravy.

Give it a try. It was wonderful.

Smothered Pork Chops

Ingredients
8 thinly cut (about 1/2 inch thick) pork chops (about 3 pounds total)
2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups thinly sliced onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
4 bay leaves
Two 14 1/2-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth, or 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cans water (measured in the chicken broth cans)
1 pound smoked sausage or andouille, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
Steamed white rice or rice pilaf, for serving

Directions
Season both sides of the chops with the Essence.
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over high heat.
Add the pork chops, 3 or 4 at a time, and lightly brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Remove the pork chops and transfer to a platter. Set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium.
Add the flour and stir constantly until the roux is the color of peanut butter, about 4 minutes.
Add the onions, salt, and black pepper.
Cook, stirring, until the onions are slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, bay leaves, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil.
Return the pork chops to the pot.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add the smoked sausage and the potatoes.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves.
Remove from the heat.
Serve with either steamed white rice or rice pilaf.

Makes 4 servings (2 chops each) or 8 servings

LL

Thanks, LL. My husband will take you up on this since you are from Iowa and you know a good pork recipe when you see it.

BTW, we did not go the Pella route. Instead we are getting ready to move to Charlotte, NC

Kaylem,

I read earlier that you guys were going there. Good luck with the move. NC looks like a beautiful place.

You guys are going to love this dish. It truly is devine.

LL

LL said:
This was posted on the Good Morning America website.  I made it for supper this evening and it was absolutely delicious.  I substituted Emeril's seasoning for regular seasoning salt and next time I make this I will use less water (1/2 the amount) as I prefer a slightly thicker gravy.

Give it a try.  It was wonderful.

Smothered Pork Chops

Ingredients
8 thinly cut (about 1/2 inch thick) pork chops (about 3 pounds total)
2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups thinly sliced onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
4 bay leaves
Two 14 1/2-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth, or 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cans water (measured in the chicken broth cans)
1 pound smoked sausage or andouille, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
Steamed white rice or rice pilaf, for serving

Directions
Season both sides of the chops with the Essence.
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over high heat.
Add the pork chops, 3 or 4 at a time, and lightly brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Remove the pork chops and transfer to a platter. Set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium.
Add the flour and stir constantly until the roux is the color of peanut butter, about 4 minutes.
Add the onions, salt, and black pepper.
Cook, stirring, until the onions are slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, bay leaves, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil.
Return the pork chops to the pot.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add the smoked sausage and the potatoes.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves.
Remove from the heat.
Serve with either steamed white rice or rice pilaf.

Makes 4 servings (2 chops each) or 8 servings

LL

Sounds yummy! Reminds me of the time my bachelor neighbor invited
me over for salmon (I was also a bachelor). It was fabulous. He said,
"You want the recipe?" Not wanting to appear uninterested
(although I was), I took it. It was about one third the length of the above
which was still about 3 times too long for me to bother with. I love
carefully prepared and presented meals, as long as someone else does all
the work. Left to my own devices................well, some of you might
recall the pickle juice pancakes story :)

JG

JG,

I know it looks lengthy but it was really easy to prepare. I have to admit I was a little turned off by the length, too, but I saw how good it looked on the show and wanted to try it. I was surprised by how well it went together and the ingredients were common in my pantry and freezer.

LL

LL said:
I know it looks lengthy but it was really easy to prepare. I have to admit I was a little turned off by the length, too, but I saw how good it looked on the show and wanted to try it. I was surprised by how well it went together and the ingredients were common in my pantry and freezer.

LL, it does look great, but around our house we tend to read recipies (especially lengthy ones) like we read science fiction. At the end we say, "Yeah, like that's really gonna happen..." ;)

LL said:
Add the flour and stir constantly until the roux is the color of peanut butter...

Main Entry: roux
Pronunciation: 'rü
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural roux /'rüz/
Etymology: French, from beurre roux brown butter
: a cooked mixture of flour and fat used as a thickening agent in a soup or a sauce

Hey, I had to look it up too. Now we'll all be able to sleep tonight...

Nords said:
: a cooked mixture of flour and fat used as a thickening agent in a soup or a sauce

Nice to know you won't rue looking up roux... ;)

REWahoo! said:
Nice to know you won't rue looking up roux... ;)
No, but we have an entire kitchen shelf full of recipes that we never get around to making... although we're getting very handy with crock pots.

Old age and roux

Zatarains has been bought out by McCormick - do the roux ;out of the can' so to speak - ??spice section of the grocery store?? My scratch roux was always hit or miss - sometimes good - sometimes 'less than stellar'.

BTY - step daughter in spare room has a standing order for 5 or 6 servings of her Red Beans and Rice - once we get 'settled'.

Heh, heh, heh

Nords said:

Nords,

Don't forget to scrape up all the little brown bits off of the bottom of the pan. That's what makes gravy so tasty.

LL

For those who like easy preparation here is a rib recipe you might like to try. Simple but good.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 1/2 pounds country style pork ribs
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons salt
* 1 cup barbeque sauce

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place ribs in a large pot with enough water to cover. Season with garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Bring water to a boil, and cook ribs until tender.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
3. Remove ribs from pot, and place them in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour barbeque sauce over ribs. Cover dish with aluminum foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until internal temperature of pork has reached 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

I usually cook these for about 45 minutes in step 1.

LL

We fixed ribs today too, but instead of barbecue sauce, my husband used a dry rub of his own concoction. As for me, to use up some leftover salsa fresca and pinto beans, I combined them in a saucepan with a can of corn, and warmed that up. And I made some cole slaw. We'll have the leftovers for a couple of lunches.

astromeria said:
We fixed ribs today too, but instead of barbecue sauce, my husband used a dry rub of his own concoction. As for me, to use up some leftover salsa fresca and pinto beans, I combined them in a saucepan with a can of corn, and warmed that up. And I made some cole slaw. We'll have the leftovers for a couple of lunches.

DW is an excellent cook (cute too. I am scanner shopping tomorrow) :)
She can throw together the most delicious food just by using whatever
we have on hand. Very creative that way. My mother is an excellent cook
but her dishes are limited and frequently repeated. DW can go for months
without repeating and she rarely looks at a recipe. It is certainly
a talent I do not possess.

JG

LL said:
JG,

I know it looks lengthy but it was really easy to prepare.  I have to admit I was a little turned off by the length, too, but I saw how good it looked on the show and wanted to try it.  I was surprised by how well it went together and the ingredients were common in my pantry and freezer.

LL
Plus, it's got a good beat and it is easy to dance to.
(Sorry, had to throw that in for the American Bandstand fans)
I'll go get another Corona now.

Thanks LL,
I was just staring at a bag of frozen pork filets this weekend, trying to figure out what to do with it....

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Gotcha covered Martha...this isnt 100% "authentic" but its good and easy. This recipe is for a lot, as I make it on football sundays, adjust as needed. Leave out or substitute any of the meat/seafood as needed to suit tastes...

Make the roux - this is the most important part. You can make this roux in bulk and freeze it if you want more spontaneous gumbo.

Saute 4-6 slices of bacon or bacon chunks or meaty salt pork or whatever have you along with a pound or two of andouille or other firm spicy sausage. Take out the bacon and sausage and leave the fat. Add one large chopped onion and cook until the onion is starting to become translucent, then lower heat and add 4 chopped cloves of garlic and stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes until browning starts. Remove onion and garlic and leave the drippings.

Add 1 1/2 cups flour slowly while stirring. If you dont have enough bacon fat left to make a paste, add butter until you do. Cook slowly, stirring often over low heat for up to 40 minutes until you have a nice dark brown roux. Color of beef gravy is about right. Put the bacon, sausage and garlic/onion mix back in to the roux and reheat.

While the roux is getting brown, in a large pot, boil 2 cups of water. Add salt to taste (teaspoon or two), 1/3 tsp crab boil seasoning (or to taste), 1/2 tsp thyme and a teaspoon of whole peppercorns. Add 1 1/2 lb chicken and long cooking seafood (uncooked crab, etc) and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until done. Add a cup of sliced okra and a 16 oz can of diced tomatoes to the pot.

Add a quarter to a half cup of the hot water from the pot to the roux slowly while stirring to loosen the roux. Scrape all of that back into the big pot with the water and chicken/crab and stir well.

Add 2lbs large cleaned shrimp and simmer until shrimp are almost done. Add a pint of raw oysters and simmer for just a minute or two.

Serve over rice.

My former boss taught me to cook ribs in oven at 325 smothered with beer then finish them on the grill with barbecue sauce .They turn out so tender.

Moemg said:
My former boss taught me to cook ribs in oven at 325 smothered with beer then finish them on the grill with barbecue sauce .They turn out so tender.
Don't just throw a tip ot, post the entire recipe. And add a photo :LOL:

T-Al - you are screen scraping all the New Orleans stuff for the book, right?

T-Al - you are screen scraping all the New Orleans stuff for the book, right?

Yes -- I grab the recipes and post to the recipe thread, but I posted this one here by mistake.

Back
Top Bottom