Join Early Retirement Today

New range - slide in or free-standing?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

New range - slide in or free-standing?

My fiance, the Beautiful Princess, has been cooking on a gas stove for years, and I'm all-electric, so need to replace my 3 year old electric range . She's making the selection, and I'm looking for experiences for input to her/our decision.

From the shopping I've done, looks like there are 2 choices - a "free-standing" range with controls on a raised panel at the rear or a "slide-in" with no raised back panel. The current unit is free-standing.

If she elects a slide-in, I'll need to get a back panel over the wall board behind the range that compliments the existing counter top. There is plenty of cooking splatter on the wall board as it is, can't imagine what another 6-8" of unprotected wall would look like. A free-standing gas unit would be a direct replacement, so I know what that would be like.

Also, some of the gas unit are "dual fuel" with gas on the cooktop and electric ovens (purportedly for consistent oven temperature control).

Would like to get opinions from anyone who has made the switch, or has one or the other and has found aspects they wish were different. Any experience with "dual fuel" units would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

ETA after Sunset's post-Added images of both styles.

Here's what I am calling "free-standing" - panel with a display at the back
And a slide-in - no upright panel at back of the cooking surface
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medium01.jpg (120.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg medium01 (1).jpg (142.2 KB, 45 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I've used both a lot.
I like electric because you can put the element on low and leave the house for hours while it cooks (slow simmer), with gas I don't do that as I'm afraid a little breeze will snuff out the flame and then fill the house with gas.

I also find the electric is easier to control the heat, but the change in temp is slower compared to gas.

Finally out new gas stove, the front burners are a little too hot on low, I've burned a few things because I left them too long on the low setting, now I move the pot to one of the back burners as they are smaller and put out less heat.

Our gas stove just slid in (but maybe this is what you call free-standing) , it has a raised back on it, but the controls are at the front edge. The back raised panel just has the clock and light controls on it.

So to be clear our stove looks something like this (except our oven control is by the clock and is digital) :
Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
gone traveling

If you are going to have a gas cooktop, then you want dual fuel.
Electric ovens are way more precise than gas.

But, what you should do is go with an induction cooktop. Precise control. Energy efficient. She will love it.

On the other hand, this is the perfect excuse to gut and renovate the kitchen completely. You do love her?
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
My fiance, the Beautiful Princess, has been cooking on a gas stove for years, and I'm all-electric, so need to replace my 3 year old electric range .
How many years has she cooked on an electric stove? Oh well, I am sure that if you chose her to marry, she is intelligent, unspoiled, and perfectly capable of adjusting to whatever stove is in place sweetly and without complaint. So my two cents are that you should wait until the electric stove actually needs to be replaced (worn out, not working) and replace it at that time as an anniversary present.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:57 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are currently shopping for a new gas stove. Free standing seem to be less expensive than the slide in models. That solves that question for me....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We went from an electric “slide in” to a gas slide in. If we had it to over again, we’d probably go dual fuel with a gas top and an electric oven, as the latter is more consistent. Induction sounds intriguing but it’s quite a bit more expensive and we’d have to replace almost all our (mostly expensive) pots and pans too.

As for slide in vs “free standing?” Free standing looks nicer to me, but slide in is probably less messy as the OP suggests.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:16 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We have the GE Profile freestanding stove with the electric glass top surface. What we like most is that there are double ovens below--one large convection and one small conventional oven. If this unit came with dual fuel, it would be perfect.

We recently got a countertop air fryer, and we're surprised how much we use it. Much of our cooking is on it and a gas grill.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:50 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We've just finished remodeling our kitchen from the studs up. My wife always used a gas range, but I never had. We got a 36"wide all gas range, and so far it's been great. I didn't like the kind with the controls on the back, so we went with a backsplash down to the surface.

While the oven is gas, it's also convection, so it seems to work better than our previous non convention electric. The gas stovetop is fun for me - like a science lab with flames. We did everything except the countertop and the backsplash ourselves but it took several months.

sdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Our previous house had a dual fuel. Present house is electric top and bottom. Much of our cooking is done in a counter top oven as there is only the two of us.

While we would like to go dual fuel again, we are just going to go single fuel (gas). The extra $$ are hard to justify now, considering our lifestyle. We do want to go freestanding for the "backsplash) but have the knobs on the front. Gotta watch out for the loose fitting clothes when reaching over to the top knob type.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I like having all controls in front. No reaching over anything hot. Worst case, if one of you is wearing a robe with big sleeves, having it catch fire dropping onto a lit burner. Probably silly, but it's just a thing with me.

The backsplash will need to complement the rest, but certainly doesn't have to match.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #11

We have a slide-in, all gas. I like the look better. For safety and convenience, I like the controls on the front, not on an upright panel in the back. Our next unit will definitely be dual-fuel. Our gas oven is convection but still leaves a lot to be desired. Slow to heat up, uneven heat, and the igniter has to be replaced every 2 years. As for the cooktop, I will only cook with gas for the instantaneous control of temperature. We also plan to replace the microwave above the stove with a high-CFM exhaust hood. The microwave just doesn't move enough air. We like the idea of a built-in microwave in a more convenient location.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #12

Slide-in here, it's what DW wanted. Slide-in cost more, not really sure why as the same basic controls. Probably just the fact they are the more popular style now and so can get the premium on the price. I'm out int he country a bit, so we have all electric version, glass cooktop Whirlpool model with convection cooking oven.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
But, what you should do is go with an induction cooktop. Precise control. Energy efficient. She will love it.
+1 on the induction top

I took a cooking class in Italy that used only induction cooktops and it was a real eye opener. I asked the chef if he every used gas and he replied "Solo per BBQ". I don't think I need to translate that.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Our store called the slide-in version “island trim”—even though of course that means it would work in a kitchen island, every time I hear it, it makes me think I’m in Hawaii or the Caribbean ��. Our stove is all-gas and five years later would probably prefer the dual fuel version but it was pricey enough. I’m looking at a good countertop oven to replace our basic toaster-oven to supplement the stove.

DS, who cooks all the time, has a new induction cooktop and it is virtually as fast as gas in temperature control—takes me a while to remember what button to touch for which element but it really is amazing.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I hate electric stoves and find them harder to cook on.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I hate electric stoves and find them harder to cook on.
No. You hate electric resistance cooktops.
You would love electric induction. Very easy to cook on. Easier than gas.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #17

Slide in have no side panels an include a trim component so there is no space between the stove and the counters. So that's a point in their favor. I have a free standing with a back panel, but other than the oven/clock/cleaning controls, all the stop top controls are on the front.

If you have gas, I'd stick with it. If she prefers electric, an electric induction or an electric glass cooktop (no drip pans, no raised cooking grids) are perfect! But, it may affect the use of cookware.

As for the backsplash, it is relative easy to have someone come in and add a tile back splash behind the stove, or behind the entire counter for easy clean up.

- Rita
Old 04-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #18

I appreciate all the experiences and ideas, thank you!

I had not considered an induction cooktop before. While they are more expensive, I have to pay to extend the gas line, so it's probably a push on costs. I'll raise the idea, but her only comment about my kitchen was the lack of a gas stove. I got the message

Looks like dual-fuel will be the way to go.

Thanks again, will let you know how it works out.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We have a gas (propane) free standing at home and an electric slide-in at our winter condo.

I really like the clean look of the slide in... our white subway tile backsplash was installed at the same time we got the slide-in as part of a bigger kitchen renovation project. The other benefit to the slide in with the controls on the front you don't need to reach over hot burners to access any controls. Slide-ins are more expensive but I found a great deal on ours and I wanted that look.

DW prefers an electric over for baking... more consistent heat... also, with the gas oven you hear an occasional pop each time the oven restarts. And we both prefer gas for the stovetop.

So my ideal would be a dual slide-in... gas cooktop and electric oven. If you do go all gas, definitely get a convection oven to circulate the heat.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #20

Just got a quote from the gas company to extend the line to the kitchen side of the house from the existing connection - 150 feet.

Was hoping it would come in under $1,000, but no......$1,650.

Think I'll be working the Beautiful Princess toward a free-standing gas unit to save about $1,500 on the unit itself plus several hundred on the back splash. If I'm successful, that would put the total cost ~$3,500. For that money, an induction cooktop is a good option. Will see what she thinks about that.