New saddle for cyclists

You don't actually have to go noseless to prevent pressure in the perineum.

SaddleSideBySide.jpg

The saddle on the top is one that I have had for about 15 years. To be on the safe side, I changed to the one on the bottom recently. The top one was so cushy, that you'd sink down, perhaps eliminating the benefits of the groove. Also, my new saddle is about a pound lighter.

All of my weight is on the "sit bones" or on the soft tissue immediately in front of them.

There is nothing to discuss....here is what my hiny rests upon. and it serves me well.

I thought noseless saddles had been around for a long time. I remember seeing a beach-cruiser model a decade ago.

To be on the safe side, I changed to the one on the bottom recently.
I have a seat like that, and those cold breezes through the hole are murder...

View attachment 12022

The saddle on the top is one that I have had for about 15 years. To be on the safe side, I changed to the one on the bottom recently. The top one was so cushy, that you'd sink down, perhaps eliminating the benefits of the groove. Also, my new saddle is about a pound lighter.

All of my weight is on the "sit bones" or on the soft tissue immediately in front of them.

Generally, how expensive are the seats like you just bought? I'm looking to get into bicycling for exercise and I'm just to the point of looking at CL bicycle ads.

Those "time erect" stats are disturbing. Show them to the cops and no wonder they switched seats :)

View attachment 12022

I have the one on the top and really like it. Initially, my sit bones got really sore but now I guess I'm used to it. Or that I don't ride for very long trips. Either way, much better than the old fashioned kind of saddles.

Generally, how expensive are the seats like you just bought? I'm looking to get into bicycling for exercise and I'm just to the point of looking at CL bicycle ads.

The one I got is a Specialized Alias, they are around $120 news, I got mine used for $46 from someone on bike forums. I tried a number of saddles for $1 or to from garage sales. Lots are fine until you do a ride over 70 miles or so. The exact height, tilt, handlebar height, and shorts type make a huge difference in comfort as well.

Some people go through a lot of saddles until they find one that works for them. Be sure to read this:

A Comfortable Saddle

The one I got is a Specialized Alias, they are around $120 news, I got mine used for $46 from someone on bike forums. I tried a number of saddles for $1 or to from garage sales. Lots are fine until you do a ride over 70 miles or so. The exact height, tilt, handlebar height, and shorts type make a huge difference in comfort as well.

Some people go through a lot of saddles until they find one that works for them. Be sure to read this:

A Comfortable Saddle

Thanks for all the info! :)

psssst....get a brooks.

I rode 330 miles this weekend, and my b17 was not a source of any issue.

T-al is correct, everyone's butt is different, so are their needs. good luck on your quest!

I have a nice broad saddle on my Schwinn Hollywood coaster bike and on top of that I put a gel seat and for good measure I wear those biking shorts with padding in the rear.:LOL:
And I will only go a max of 25 miles on a flat rail trail...and that in perfect weather (not too hot and not too cold). I like it if there is also a nice place to stop for lunch and a clean restroom break along the way. As you can tell, I am not into roughing it.

...I will only go a max of 25 miles on a flat rail trail...

unfortunately, that is all I have around here in New Orleans. I like to get in the woods on trails with my mountain bike, but there aren't many options when you are surrounded by swamps.

Anyways, the seat thing is not simple, as Tr-Al has pointed out. I have seen a big difference in comfort even when using the same seat, by simply moving it about a half inch. The seat angle seems to be the most important factor for me.

I tried a nose-less saddle many years ago. Almost immediately discarded it because of the resultant lack of steering control. Your legs are more important to this than you think.

I agree that seat position and angle are extremely important. If it feels wrong, adjust it.

(snip)Some people go through a lot of saddles until they find one that works for them. Be sure to read this:

A Comfortable Saddle
I did read it, and what it seems to boil down to is, "the most likely reason you are finding your saddle uncomfortable is that your bum isn't tough enough". Well, my bum is never going to be tough enough. I don't ride often enough or far enough "to re-accustom [my] derrière to cycling" and don't ever plan to. What I need is something comfortable for short, occasional rides: a seat (not saddle) like what was on the bike originally—a broad triangular thing with springs and padding. Are these still available, or am I going to have to go buy a beater bike at the Goodwill store, just to get the seat?

P.S. It cost you $46 for a second hand bicycle saddle? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom