Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

New Sayings for New Technology
Old 11-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New Sayings for New Technology

Enough of wasting our time on trivial issues like the fiscal cliff, social security, pensions, medical costs and other such things.

We need to deal with the real issue of how to change old sayings in light of new technology. For example, years ago if somebody talked to much we would say "She was vaccinated with a Victrola needle." Somebody who repeated the same thing over and over was a "broken record." Even the site "Youtube" goes back to the days when TV's actually had a picture tube. How quaint!

Some things have survived using their abbreviation. We don't 'carbon copy' people today we 'cc' them.

What are your suggestions for rewriting old, technology sayings using modern technology?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heck, the common icons most software still uses these days are way out of date already. Floppy disks to indicate saving a file? An old phone handset to indicate answer or hang up your cellphone? Clipboards and erasers?
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know, right now got to go get a beer out of the icebox. Later I need to pay my light bill.

Seriously I get a hoot about everything being "wireless", now. Thats what they called radio when it was first invented. It's as if people suddenly started saying "horseless carriage" again!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
What are your suggestions for rewriting old, technology sayings using modern technology?
Why mess with the lingo when we can turn the tech back on itself?

iRetroPhone – Rotary Dial Phone App for iPhone | GeekAlerts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dial an iPhone.jpg (19.0 KB, 5 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I don't know, right now got to go get a beer out of the icebox.
+1. I too have an icebox. DW gives me grief for calling it that all the time but I notice my kids call it that too and I actually like the anachronism.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Why mess with the lingo when we can turn the tech back on itself?

iRetroPhone – Rotary Dial Phone App for iPhone | GeekAlerts
Yeah, but do you actually dial that app or do you just push the numbers. If the former, AWESOME!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Yeah, but do you actually dial that app or do you just push the numbers. If the former, AWESOME!
And it has to be difficult enough that you slip once in a while, and have to start all over. The sensitivity should increase on longer numbers.

Trivia: The most populated areas originally got the lower digit area codes, to cut down the time it took to dial (Chicago 312 for example). The middle digit was always a 1 or a 0, so the system could tell an area code from an exchange.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know but it seems like I'm often "too quick on the trigger" when sending an e-mail and then instantly realizing I forgot the critical attachment.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I don't know but it seems like I'm often "too quick on the trigger" when sending an e-mail and then instantly realizing I forgot the critical attachment.
I use the Thunderbird email app in Ubuntu (available in Mac & Windows also), and it has a very handy feature. Before sending, it will remind you about enclosures if you used any keywords in the body of the email, like "enclosed, enclosure, attached", etc. The list is configurable. Saved me from this absent-mindedness more than once. I now make a point of using one of those keywords as soon as I start typing an email that I plan to add a document to.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Yep, the former. You also have to wait for the dial to rotate back counterclockwise to its starting position, and it even makes the tick-tick-tick-tick sound as it's "resetting".

My daughter views it with the same perceptual filter as manual automobile transmissions: she just doesn't see the point, and when it's explained to her she feels sorry that we had to live like such savages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Gmail will query you before sending if you if you use the word "attach" in an e-mail and do not actually include an attachment. It's not perfect but it's helped me avoid embarrassment a number of times.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I use the Thunderbird email app in Ubuntu (available in Mac & Windows also), and it has a very handy feature. Before sending, it will remind you about enclosures if you used any keywords in the body of the email, like "enclosed, enclosure, attached", etc. The list is configurable. Saved me from this absent-mindedness more than once. I now make a point of using one of those keywords as soon as I start typing an email that I plan to add a document to.

-ERD50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Gmail will query you before sending if you if you use the word "attach" in an e-mail and do not actually include an attachment. It's not perfect but it's helped me avoid embarrassment a number of times.
Thanks guys. Now I just have to remember the key word!

Tags
sayings technology