Join Early Retirement Today

New SEPP Rules for 2004 Federal Tax Return
Old 01-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

New SEPP Rules for 2004 Federal Tax Return

If you are under age 59-1/2 and currently taking penalty-free withdrawals from your IRA, here's some "news you can use."

For the 2004 tax year, the IRS did away with "exception code 2" on Form 1099-R. The only code you'll see on Form 1099-R is exception code 1. See link:

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r/ar02.html#d0e220

You'll have to file IRS Form 5329 with your return to claim the exception for "substantially equal periodic payments" (SEPP) and escape the 10% penalty. Here's a link to form 5329 and instructions.

Instructions for Form 5329.
http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i5329/ch01.html

Form 5329
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5329.pdf

intercst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New SEPP Rules for 2004 Federal Tax Return
Old 01-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
For the 2004 tax year, the IRS did away with "exception code 2" on Form 1099-R. The only code you'll see on Form 1099-R is exception code 1.
Are you sure about this? I thought you should always have a code 2 except when the SEPP is modified within 5 years of the first payment.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Are you sure about this? *I thought you should always have a code 2 except when the SEPP is modified within 5 years of the first payment.
That's what the 2004 IRS instructions for Form 1099-R says. For 2004, a SEPP is coded as a "1" (meaning "no exception applies") and it's up to you to file Form 5329 to claim the exception on your own

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r/ar02.html#d0e220

intercst
Old 01-07-2005, 10:37 AM   #4

I don't think I would interpret the reading that way since it would cause too many people to file with a penalty. If I were preparing 1099-R forms for SEPPs I would still code them as 2.

Code 2 was established for exceptions to the 10% penalty under Code Sec 72(t) which SEPPs clearly are.

Even though I am the first to admit that many times tax laws do not follow common sense, I think it's beyond even that conception to predefine an item as subject to penalty from the origination point of the IRA trustee even though the originator has full knowledge that it is not subject to a penalty.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Intercst is correct.

I got my Vanguard 1099Rs and called to complain about being coded as "1" (no exception) instead of "2".

They said pretty much what Intercst said -- they were told by IRS not to use "2" anymore - use "1" and let the taxpayer deal with it using form 5329.

dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
I got my Vanguard 1099Rs and called to complain about being coded as "1" (no exception) instead of "2".

They said pretty much what Intercst said -- they were told by IRS not to use "2" anymore - use "1" and let the taxpayer deal with it using form 5329.
Maybe instead of using the poor excuse that they were told by the IRS, Vanguard should do their own tax research like I did. Looks like a typo on the part of some shmuck at the IRS on the original instructions. You'll see the instructions back to normal next year, I'm sure. I posted the answer below, but you can get it at the source almost at the end of the page at http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article...109875,00.html

Notice — Change to 2004 Instructions for Forms 1099-R and 5498: Guide to Distribution Codes

The Explanations for Codes 1 and 2 shown in the Guide to Distribution Codes for box 7 have been changed. If you have issued a Form 1099-R (or applicable substitute), you may have to issue a corrected return based on the change in the chart below.

Distribution Codes
Explanations
Used with code ... (if applicable)

1—Early distribution, no known exception
Use Code 1 only if the employee/taxpayer has not reached age 59˝ and you do not know if any of the exceptions under Distribution Code 2, 3, or 4 apply. Use Code 1 even if the distribution is made for medical expenses, health insurance premiums, qualified higher education expenses, or as a first-time homebuyer, under section 72(t)(2)(B), (E), or (F).
8, D, L, or P

2—Early distribution, exception applies
Use Code 2 only if the employee/taxpayer has not reached age 59˝ and the distribution is:

A Roth IRA conversion (an IRA converted to a Roth IRA) or a reconversion.
A distribution made from a qualified retirement plan or IRA (Roth IRA) because of an IRS levy under section 6331.
A section 457(b) plan distribution that is not subject to the additional 10% tax. But see Section 457(b) plan distributions under the box 7 instructions in the 2004 Instructions for Forms 1099-R and 5498 for information on distributions that may be subject to the 10% additional tax.
A distribution from a qualified retirement plan after separation from service where the taxpayer has reached age 55.
A distribution that is a part of a series of substantially equal periodic payments as described in section 72(q), (t), and (v).
Any other distribution subject to an exception under section 72(q), (t), and (v) that is not required to be reported using Code 1, 3, or 4.
8, D, or P

This information supplements the 2004 Instructions for Forms 1099-R and 5498 which are not being revised at this time. --09-AUG-2004