New Shrimpy Wall St Journal

ESRBob

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Did this get a thread already? How do people feel about the new WSJ size and format? I was really underwhelmed the first few weeks but now I don't notice it much. Still, it seems a lot less classy than the old reliable widescreen version...

I think The WSJ did a lot of research to make it relative and hip to the crackberry crowd, but I think it stinks. On second thought I think it s**cks. These are my reasons:

The letters to the editor are stuck somewhere in the back after the corporate jet listings. The quality of these letters is supurb and they deserved to be on the editirial page. Maybe they want us from now on to expound in a chat room or some such.

Prior to the change, The WSJ was my breakfast buddy. I can lay it out on the kitchen table and get through my bowl of oatmeal without having to turn a page. With the narrower format I might as well suscribe to the New York Post; but that edification of fine journalism is not available for home delivery in Jackson, MS. Better yet, maybe I can suscribe to one of them London rags with the page three girls. Whatever.

Can't comment on anything else 'cause I can't find anything anymore.

Maybe I can get a crackberry of my own and join the 21st century with an on-line version of the WSJ. "Never in life..." as they used to say in His Majesty's Royal Navy.

Capt Curmudgeon said:
I think The WSJ did a lot of research to make it relative and hip to the crackberry crowd, but I think it stinks. On second thought I think it s**cks. These are my reasons:

The letters to the editor are stuck somewhere in the back after the corporate jet listings. The quality of these letters is supurb and they deserved to be on the editirial page. Maybe they want us from now on to expound in a chat room or some such.

Prior to the change, The WSJ was my breakfast buddy. I can lay it out on the kitchen table and get through my bowl of oatmeal without having to turn a page. With the narrower format I might as well suscribe to the New York Post; but that edification of fine journalism is not available for home delivery in Jackson, MS. Better yet, maybe I can suscribe to one of them London rags with the page three girls. Whatever.

Can't comment on anything else 'cause I can't find anything anymore.

Maybe I can get a crackberry of my own and join the 21st century with an on-line version of the WSJ. "Never in life..." as they used to say in His Majesty's Royal Navy.

Captain, it's obvious that you're bucking for promotion and you think a few last minute theatrics will get you some recognition and a leg up to O-4. Nice try, but the promotion board has seen all this before.

My advice is if you are passed over, just forget about it. Somehow "Major Curmudgeon" doesn't have the same panache as your current moniker. ;)

Well, I don't know about the re-org of the contents (not familiar enough with the before/after) but I like the slimmed-down pages. It is a LOT easier to read it now when I'm on an airplane. I'd be happier stil with a tabloid-style.

The WSJ is my favorite paper. If I weren't so cheap, I'd get it at home. As it is, I read the free ones at the Marriott when I travel.

Not a fan, but I suspect like anything new it is just a matter of getting use to it.

My complaint? As a New Yorker who reads the paper on the subway you get adept at folding the newspaper in quarters in such a way so you can turn the pages without inconveniencing the person next to you. But for that to work, you need the columns split evenly down the center of the page (e.g. two columns on the left half and two on the right - or some such configuration). With the new smaller format, they often have a column right in the middle of the page so the only way you can read it is to have the paper fully open. The fully open paper is still too big to turn pages on a cramped subway car. You'd think the WSJ of all publications would have anticipated this design flaw.

samclem said:
I like the slimmed-down pages. It is a LOT easier to read it now when I'm on an airplane.

You need to learn the "NY Fold" - of course that no longer works with the new version.

3-Years,
You just need to move out to the 'burbs.
Seems the research team all live out here, because their express reason (the only one besides cost savings in paper and availability of more printing presses that could handle this size) was that this size worked better for people who commuted on Metro North and the Long Island Railroad. Clearly the bigwigs get all their reading done before they get to the subway for the ride downtown?

I have to say I miss the old format. But it may not be all bad -- now I can better ignore the paper in the morning and move on to more interesting things like sculpting or hanging out here. Maybe some day I can drop the subscription and reach full escape velocity from the world of finance and business -- write poetry, walk on the beach, play with grandkids or whatever else it is people do when they've stopped caring about anything markets-related beyond the annual rebalancing... ;)

Martha said:
I find the new format easier to read when lying on the couch.
I don't read the paper at all.

But I enjoy the occasional Sunday WSJ link from our local "newspaper" website.

REWahoo! said:
Captain, it's obvious that you're bucking for promotion and you think a few last minute theatrics will get you some recognition and a leg up to O-4. Nice try, but the promotion board has seen all this before.

My advice is if you are passed over, just forget about it. Somehow "Major Curmudgeon" doesn't have the same panache as your current moniker. ;)

Roger that, REWahoo.

Big deal at the office this week, the CEO announced his ER! Memo from the owner said a search for replacement is ongoing and he will announce soon. Everybody is waiting by the phone for the call! The gardener declared he would not accept the appointment if offered. With him out of the way that means I moved up a notch! Yeah, baby!

I am wsj.com online only. It is great. My main concern is verifying that I can automatically daily pull over the entire set of complete-length wsj.com articles via RSS feeds (instead of just the headlines and first paragraph) to my soon-to-be-purchased Linux mobile internet tablet to be read later off-line. This may not be a mainstream concern :) :) But it should be :)

The paper size is neither here nor there to me, as I have not purchased one for several years. I do pay $120/year for the online subscription.

My understanding is that the content of the paper was reduced somewhat, but about half of the reduction involved the decision not to include as many of the previous day's trading prices, since this no longer serves as much value in the internet age.

Kramer

I have only been subsribing to the WSJ for about a year but I for one like the new size. It fits much better in my backpack on my bike rides to and from home and it fits much better on the tiny tables at my favorite coffee shop.

As mentioned above- I really dont like the new location of the letters to the editor. On the days I cant get through the paper I started on the Op-Ed page. Now its all over the place. Other than that I guess Ill just have to get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom