Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New Skills You've Been Meaning To Learn
Old 04-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
That's very cool!!* I can actually fake it through a few of his songs.* Did you ever catch Mississipi John Hurt?* He's another favorite of mine.
You bet JB, John Hurt, (Well all you ladies gather round, That good sweet Candy Man’s in Town…) Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Johnny Shines (a bottle neck slide player, I think from Memphis via Chicago) - we caught most of those old acoustic acts.. Yeah, and Big Mama Thornton, Odetta... Didn't miss much, acoustic or electric. Blues was super popular back then, and of course it is going around again now. It’s music with soul, which isn't always easy to find today. I liked (and continue to like) a very heavy backbeat, so my favorites were the electric guys out of Chicago and Texas mostly. All these guys, even Muddy Waters, Albert King, Albert Collins, played in small clubs or dancehalls for cheap tickets. None of this $100 bullshit like today.

Albert Collins got the girls so worked up that they damn near bruised your leg.

Keep up your guitar playing; anybody who can play that axe is blessed.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
You got that right Ha!

Since you mention Chicago artists Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, DW and I spent 2 - 3 evenings a week hitting the clubs on Wells Street, in Old Town and on the south side in the 60's listening to live acoustic music.......... folk, jazz and blues.* Chicago is still a good town for live music, but not quite like it was then.

Despite the fact that I am a huge fan of outdoor sports, fishing, canoeing, etc., it's tough trying to decide to up and move to a rural location for RE.* It would be hard to give up the availability of live music and entertainment anytime you want, even weeknights.* Of course, it's hard giving up living on a good walleye lake and having your boat tied up a few feet from the house ready to go..........

Too bad I can't afford a highrise condo in Chicago and a house on a lake in Minnestoa and still retire early.* Darn! *
I hear you. I live where I have what I used to consider a fairly easy drive into the city, but at the same time surrounded by eagles, deer - I even had some otters in my pond one morning. I could head into town for a night out, and breeze home in the early morning hours. But lately, I am just too damn tired to safely drive home after the clubs close, even with no drinking. A few times I tried crashing in my car, but I am usually hot and sweaty from dancing and it is kind of a sticky and eventually cold experience. Not to mention that in summer anyway, it is hard to fall asleep at 2:30 and then be awakened at 4 by dawn.

Still, I am not sure i want to move back into the everyday social intensity of street life in a big city. I have actually been considering some sort of stealthy van rig, combined with a 24 hour Fitness Gym membership so I can clean up in comfort.

Ha