Join Early Retirement Today

New Skills You've Been Meaning To Learn
Old 04-09-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Skills You've Been Meaning To Learn

I want to get better at guitar and start learning piano.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New Skills You've Been Meaning To Learn
Old 04-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I used to play piano quite a bit and haven't much at all for years. A few years ago I bought an electronic piano, hoping I would get into it again. I could always use the earphones when practicing. But I haven't got back into it yet. Still want to.

I would like to learn how to play the Sitar, I love Indian music. The odds of this are pretty slim. Who is going to teach me.

I have been trying to learn about digital photography and read the Dummies book.

I enjoy "identification" hobbies, like wildflowers, birds, stars . . . I am good at the wildflowers and just started this year on the birds.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

I would like to learn how to play the Sitar, I love Indian music.* The odds of this are pretty slim.* Who is going to teach me.*
Wow, yet another shortcoming of living "upnort" in Minnesota.* Not only do we have numerous private Sitar instructors available here, Sitar classes are even given in the adult ed program of the local jr college.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #4

I'm am endeavouring to be better at SEX. Starting to enjoy the lessons.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Wow, yet another shortcoming of living "upnort" in Minnesota. Not only do we have numerous private Sitar instructors available here, Sitar classes are even given in the adult ed program of the local jr college.
Where are you?

Old 04-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
I'm am endeavouring to be better at SEX. Starting to enjoy the lessons.
If you want to get better at it, stop with the young ones and have an older woman teach you the ropes.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
If you want to get better at it, stop with the young ones and have an older woman teach you the ropes.
B&D ?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #8

as a kid i had at least 2 years of piano lessons and 4 of guitar. on piano i couldn't coordinate my two hands and feet. on guitar i could play lead but couldn't coordinate chords. was very frustrating. most everyone in my family plays piano. mom played beautifully even through part of stage 6 (of 7 stages) of alzheimer's disease. we got an upright for her room so she could continue playing.

i also envy people who can draw. i studied architecture for 2 years but my renderings were awful and eventually i gave up. the guy next to me would draw what looked to me like a polaroid picture in a 1/2 hour. i'd be working until 4 in the a.m. and wasn't 1/2 way done.

my current endeavor is learning all this financial stuff. sure hope i do better than i did on the piano.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #9

I've always wanted to learn how to throw pottery. I am just mesmerized by someone that can take a hunk of clay and in a few minutes come out with a perfectly formed bowl or vase. I also want to learn the whole process, from clay to finished product.

Martha, I have a feeling now that OAP is retired he doesn't want ANYONE "telling" him what to do But you're right, he needs to take lessons from the masters instead of the students.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I've always wanted to learn how to throw pottery.
When we were first married, DW was really good at it. But she only threw it at me after it had been fired, shipped to a retailer and received as a wedding gift.
After 37 years together, she's perfected throwing verbal barbs and given up pottery.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"New Skills You've Been Meaning To Learn"
Tae kwon do black belt. Then I'll have to figure out if I want to keep training for 2nd dan, teaching, coaching, & running tournaments. I enjoy teaching but the rest sounds like work.

Cutbacks, floaters, hanging 10, and perhaps someday a helicopter. The moves look so easy when you read about them in a book...

"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain."

Betty Edwards also has a book out on color. It turns out that color actually has physics, rules, & procedures-- just like engineering! Spouse will still be in charge of the décor decisions, but at least I'll understand what the heck she's talking about. Or maybe I'll discover that she's been making it up as she goes along...

Figuring out how to learn a different language. I used to be highly proficient in French-- naval technical spoken & written-- for all the good that's done me in the Pacific fleet. So I'm not talking about learning a different language, I'm talking about learning & understanding the system by which I can best learn a new language. I'm intrigued by spoken & written Hawaiian, Japanese, & Thai. I'm probably going to find out that it's all a lot of drudgery & immersion work with a lot of memorization, but that's what it took to make it through nuclear engineering.

Grandparenting. No hurry on this one, the kid is only 13. But, as experienced as I am at coping with one of the world's more frustrating teenagers, I would like to understand what puts that goofy look in her grandfathers' eyes.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I've always wanted to learn how to throw pottery. I am just mesmerized by someone that can take a hunk of clay and in a few minutes come out with a perfectly formed bowl or vase. I also want to learn the whole process, from clay to finished product.
I managed to do it, so can you...just take a class get some tools and keep doing it...took a while on the wheel to get a bowl - much longer to get a cylinder, the fun part is glazing and then seeing what you get after the firing...did wonders for my ego....I ended up with loads but the kids keep asking for pieces - makes great presents...
Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where are you?
NE Illinois.* And just kidding about any negative feelings concerning "upnort."* We love Minnesota and do serious damage to your walleye population every year and love canoeing your lakes and rivers.* But I'm a big city boy and Lake Wobegon, while absolutely wonderful in the spring, summer and fall, would drive me nuts in the winter.* So we choose to live down here and visit up there.

Here's some Sitar info for ya:

* http://www.sitaremporium.com/

This place is all the way across town from me. But, I think they're the ones who provide the instructors for the adult ed classes in Sitar at the local jr college, just down the street.

youbet
Old 04-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
B&D ?
No kidding. I see some old lady coming at me with ropes and I'm hightailing it.

I had alllways wanted to learn to play the piano. Got a keyboard and some software that plugged into the midi port on my laptop. Started when I first ER'ed. Had fun with it and got through about a weeks worth of lessons. Then the software had me do a little "concert" for fake people on the screen, who would applaud if you did well and sit quietly if you didnt. It was at that point that the software became unusually picky about my timing of playing the music. Very quiet crowd. Then it told me that I sucked and had to redo all the lessons again. I went through it ten times with the same results. It wouldnt let me proceed until I "passed".

That was the end of that.

Piano lessons behind me, i'm learning how to be a parent. Its a little harder than piano but a lot more rewarding...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #15

Grace in my internet posting.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

So then you've finally learned the truth and its time to pay off the mortgage and convert the rest of your funds to gold?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
So then you've finally learned the truth and its time to pay off the mortgage and convert the rest of your funds to gold?
I'm thinking gold plated dryer sheets . . . or maybe a golden kayak.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm trying to get up to speed with CAD/CAM/CNC software/programming. I feel sympathy for Sysiphus some times.

cheers,
Michael
Old 04-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm working on learning flatpick/old-time/bluegrass guitar. I can play some basic rhythms and melodies but when I listen to the experts (Doc Watson, Clarence White, Tony Rice) it sounds like they are playing at twice the tempo. It's a race against time.... muscle memory vs. fatigue/age.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Martin D43?