Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I understand the motivation behind those of you who don't want a smart phone. Learning something new can be a real PITA and if you are happy with what you have, why go to the trouble and expense of "upgrading"?

While I don't seek the latest and greatest smart phone, I do try to keep moving forward with newer technology. I find it interesting and enjoyable, plus the challenge of learning new things keeps me 'in the game' and gets far fewer eye rolls from my teen grandkids.
True sometimes, but that's not always the case. For me, it's not about learning the tech - I have a tablet (android), the family has iPads, and I have access to smartphones in the family, and do most (all?) of the tech support. But I just very rarely have the need for data, or even need to make a call while I'm out myself, and I just would rather save the $ for now. At my current usage, I've got several years of minutes banked, and can just add $10 per year to keep my T-Mobile Gold status grandfathered in, so that is tempting.

I do get the eyerolls when I pull out my ancient flip, but the people that know me know I'm a techie at heart, and this is just a choice I make (I actually like that the dumb-phone stays charged for weeks, and I'd rather use my tablet for somethings that I'd do with a smartphone - but yes, I need wifi, there are limitations).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I understand the motivation behind those of you who don't want a smart phone. Learning something new can be a real PITA and if you are happy with what you have, why go to the trouble and expense of "upgrading"?

While I don't seek the latest and greatest smart phone, I do try to keep moving forward with newer technology. I find it interesting and enjoyable, plus the challenge of learning new things keeps me 'in the game' and gets far fewer eye rolls from my teen grandkids.

Its stereotyped people like me who keep older people from ever getting jobs when unemployed...Resistant to change. I always seem to embrace things half a$$ed... Pay half my bills online, the other half by mail. Use credit cards, but always carry good chunk of cash around. Dropped the landline but don't have a smartphone. Use a computer constantly but don't even know how to use Microsoft programs. I guess that part doesn't matter anymore because I don't even own a true laptop anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Don't feel bad, I was trying to clean up DW's contact list after I loaded her contacts from the SIM of her previous phone, and several times I thought I was just viewing the contact, and all the sudden it's dialing them! Quick, how do I 'hang up'?!!!

Some of this stuff isn't as obvious as it should be, but probably handy once you get used to it. In this case, I think maybe the 'favorites' or 'resent' contacts in the list I was looking at act more like 'speed dial' - just touch them and away you go. think that if I was in the normal list, touching it would have just bought up the details. I'd have to try again to see.

-ERD50
On many Android smart phones, if you swipe the contact name to the right it will call the number, and if you swipe left it will create a text. To disable this feature open go to settings, contacts, and uncheck "Swipe to call or send message."
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about Android phones, but on my iPhone I set a long password with both upper and lower case and special characters for my password. Yes, I can just use a 4 digit password but there is a lot of confidential information available through my phone.

I hadn't really thought about this before but my son who is a senior majoring in CS with an Information Assurance concentration pointed out that one of the big things is my email. There is a lot of sensitive information in email. I thought about that and immediately created a long password that I use only for my phone. A 4 digit password is entirely inadequate.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I don't know about Android phones, but on my iPhone I set a long password with both upper and lower case and special characters for my password. Yes, I can just use a 4 digit password but there is a lot of confidential information available through my phone.
And a long password combined with the easy access of biometrics works great.

(You only have to enter the long password occasionally - after a reboot or after leaving the phone locked for a long time)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
The ability to use complex passwords has been available for Android longer than it has been for iOS. However, biometrics on new iOS devices makes the use of complex passwords easier and more practical for users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
And a long password combined with the easy access of biometrics works great.

(You only have to enter the long password occasionally - after a reboot or after leaving the phone locked for a long time)
48 hours for iOS.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:11 AM   #47

Quote:
That's the issue, though. Are people "happy" with what they have? For most people the answer is yes, but there are some who claim that they're happy when in reality they harbor animosity toward the changes in society that make the new technology affect their happiness. "Why do I have to get an email account when I've been happy with paper mail?" ... the answer being that many activities that people wish to avail themselves of now increasingly rely on email for communications.

The point is that "happiness" should clearly imply, in this context, "Even though times have changed, and people in general are expecting others to embrace those changes, I am still happy with the old, and don't feel that others should refrain from embracing the new to accommodate my use of the old," rather than, "I want to be able to be happy with the old, and the rest of the world should stop changing (or revert back) to accommodate my desire to be happy with the old." This is because nostalgia has never governed the progress of society.

I don't think smartphones are anywhere near email yet, in that regard, but I suspect it will happen eventually. I think the whole nature of communications is still in the early stages of a quantum change. I saw a Facebook post last week positing that many folks today don't even recognize a rotary dial on a phone. But I think in the end the quantum change may result in folks someday not recognizing what is meant by a "land line"; not recognizing what the difference is between what we today call a "telephone call" and what we today call an "internet voice or video call" (a la Skype). I wouldn't be surprised if within the next thirty years or so, most calls take place between smartphones (or something even newer), both in the home and away from home.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Dashlane for my iPhone and PCs. I'm pretty sure they also have Android version. It syncs across all devices and has finally relieved my password recall stress. Totally worth the $20/year to me. Highly recommended. (Your passwords are never stored "in the cloud", btw.)
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
. I wouldn't be surprised if within the next thirty years or so, most calls take place between smartphones (or something even newer), both in the home and away from home.
That's already happening today. The only people I know with a land line are my parents and some relatives in their 70's. And bit by bit they are slowly dropping the land lines for cell phone...usually getting a hand-me-down from their kids.

No one in my circle of friends (I'm 53) has a land line anymore. They all have smart phones except for one friend who has an old flip phone...but he makes up for it's lack of "smartness" with an I-Pad.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That's already happening today.
Of course people are moving to the new technology but it is not yet the case that "most calls take place between smartphones".

I could see it taking less than thirty years, but probably not less than ten years.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Of course people are moving to the new technology but it is not yet the case that "most calls take place between smartphones".

I could see it taking less than thirty years, but probably not less than ten years.
Well lets see.

Less than half of households even have landlines any more

Only About 40 Percent of US Households Still Have Landlines | Digital Trends

Roughly 2/3rds of American adults own a smart phone

6 facts about Americans and their smartphones | Pew Research Center
Old 01-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #52

Wow. The metric is changing so fast that I cannot keep up. I like relying on the CDC data for it. Their 2013 survey shows that the number of homes with landlines was still over 50%. I just found an update six months later showing that same metric dropped 6%. That's incredible.

However, those numbers only consider households. It doesn't factor in businesses. I cannot believe that businesses will be moving wholesale to smartphones for their employees, so I think that it will still be a long time before "most calls take place between smartphones".
Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #53

In a similar vein:

For the First Time, More Are Mobile-Banking Than Going to a Branch - MoneyBeat - WSJ

Quote:
Last year, roughly 30% of adults in the U.S. used a mobile banking service weekly, while just 24% availed themselves of a physical branch service as often, Javelin’s survey of 3,100 people found. That’s the first time in the history of the survey that mobile users (and that means just smartphones and tablets, not via desktop computers) outpaced branch users, Javelin said.
I do the vast majority of banking online, though I do visit a branch to use a safe deposit box (I keep my offsite backup disk there).