Join Early Retirement Today

New Smartphone, Growing Pain Questions
Old 01-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New Smartphone, Growing Pain Questions

Okay, I finally went to the dark other side and got a smartphone. My initial goal is to get that to work like, well, a phone. But do have some other hopefully not too newbie questions.

So, for browsing websites that require id and passwords (like this site), what do you do? Do you somehow have passwords synced from computer and phone? Or do you have to enter the id/password individually onto the phone? Or use a password manager app on the phone?

I'm just trying to get a feel to see what to expect .

Oh, my phone is using Android OS.

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, for browsing websites that require id and passwords (like this site), what do you do? Do you somehow have passwords synced from computer and phone? Or do you have to enter the id/password individually onto the phone? Or use a password manager app on the phone?
If it's an iPhone, enable iCloud and Keychain syncing and it'll just work. This will securely share all your accounts/passwords on your Mac with your iPhone and vice versa.

If you don't have an iPhone and a Mac, well, can't help you...
mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Opps, never mind...
Old 01-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you haven't tried searching YouTube, I'd recommend it. Lots of short little how to videos for specific phones and tasks. Also similar info with a Google search. As a last resort, read the manual.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #5

LastPass will sync between your computer and phone but they do charge extra to sync to different devices.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I'll prob looking into a password manager app or maybe not make the password so complex that only a computer can understand .
Old 01-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. I'll prob looking into a password manager app or maybe not make the password so complex that only a computer can understand .
Once you use an app, the password stays in the smartphone, so you don't need to constantly input the password.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Once you use an app, the password stays in the smartphone, so you don't need to constantly input the password.
Yes, that's what I was thinking (once I figure how to install an app ). Using a password manager similar to on a PC. I won't try and duplicate access to all the sites I have for the pc (probably over 100) but just ones I'd frequently visit or really need on the road.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, that's what I was thinking (once I figure how to install an app ). Using a password manager similar to on a PC. I won't try and duplicate access to all the sites I have for the pc (probably over 100) but just ones I'd frequently visit or really need on the road.
If you were happy with a flip phone, you don't need to use any more capability of the smartphone than the calling function.

Ease into it.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay, I finally went to the dark other side and got a smartphone. My initial goal is to get that to work like, well, a phone. But do have some other hopefully not too newbie questions.

I'm just trying to get a feel to see what to expect .

Thanks.

For this site you want to use an android app, type in login and password, and play.

I'm very cautious about what is stored on phone. For example, I use bank app to scan and deposit checks. But I always reenter login details and don't store on device.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Right, I don't generally store passwords on my phone. The phone is too easy to lose, so if someone else finds it and starts poking around they can get into my accounts. But I also do have a pin lock on my phone after 30 minutes so hopefully that keeps them out.

If I did lose my phone my first action would be to get to my computer and change my email password, and probably any other financial or personal password.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Be sure to put a password/pin on the phone, so when you turn it on, it requires correct entry to use.
Note that even with a password/pin set, you can still immediately answer a phone call,or call 911.
The password/pin login only affects using the phone for other stuff (apps, or phone calls out)
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
For this site you want to use an android app, type in login and password, and play.

I'm very cautious about what is stored on phone. For example, I use bank app to scan and deposit checks. But I always reenter login details and don't store on device.
Yes, as smart phones are essentially, hand held computers. The method of always reentering login details begs the question though, to use a recommended long length, complex password or a human friendly one as the latter contains risks too.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes, as smart phones are essentially, hand held computers. The method of always reentering login details begs the question though, to use a recommended long length, complex password or a human friendly one as the latter contains risks too.
Many newer phones make use of biometrics - fingerprints.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Thanks. That sounds like a very nice feature.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #16

I access almost no sites on my android requiring a login/PW (Uber is one exception that comes to mind). I personally would never access any sites containing personal financial information, and I would never consider placing my password manager on my phone. I've gone to some pretty elaborate lengths (IMHO) to safeguard such information and want it in as few locations as possible. Some use a dedicated computer for accessing personal financial sites, although I have yet to go that far.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Quote:
Thanks. That sounds like a very nice feature.
I love the fingerprint feature and always click the screen off when I finish using it, don't wait for any timeout. I have a long password to unlock the phone but the fingerprint means I rarely need it.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I access almost no sites on my android requiring a login/PW (Uber is one exception that comes to mind). I personally would never access any sites containing personal financial information, and I would never consider placing my password manager on my phone. I've gone to some pretty elaborate lengths (IMHO) to safeguard such information and want it in as few locations as possible. Some use a dedicated computer for accessing personal financial sites, although I have yet to go that far.
That's very interesting and surprising for me to read. Not that I don't doubt this and better safe than sorry. But I've heard folks say all the time that they rarely use a computer anymore as they use their phones so much. Maybe they do the cloud and automatically synced thing. i was getting flustered just sending a two sentence email on my phone as a test which took me about 30 minutes (note, smartphone newbie ).
Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #19

Nope. I have no faith in the security of the cloud either (too many breaches). I store no sensitive documents there (plenty of debates regarding that, however). I would never personally use cloud storage for either tax returns or a password manager, either.

My brother has specialized in many aspects of the cloud (including security) in the tech industry since its inception and has advised it is not at all as secure as the public has been led to believe.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Look at using swype for typing. It's a lot quicker than hunt and peck, and I'm pretty amazed at how often it is either correct or gives me the desired word as an alternate choice. On my droid phone it's an option setting under My Devices, then Language and Input. Settings get moved around release to release so it could be elsewhere for you.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote