Join Early Retirement Today

New tires are over 2 years old!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

New tires are over 2 years old!

First time this has ever happened. Wheel Works. Purchased 4 tires. Came home. 3 tires mfg. 2016, week 22. 4th tire. 2016, week 36.
My plan: 1. Ask for 4 replacement tires. 2. If they refuse. Ask for 1/3 $ refund. 3. If they refuse. Dispute the charge on my credit card.

This is based on, current information. At 6 years, tires should be replaced.
Age does matter. ie. rubber drys out, etc. I've already used up 2 years.

Been a customer probably over 30+ years. Will see if they have any goodwill.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They do age better in a warehouse since they don't get direct sunlight but the
last time I bought 4 new tires for my truck my tire guy call his distributor and asked him to send over 4 fresh ones (recently manufactured) I sold my 6 yr old tires to a guy who would wear them out in 1 yr.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never looked at my tires to see when they were made. They all lasted a long time (wear bars showing) Never had a problem.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have never looked at my tires to see when they were made. They all lasted a long time (wear bars showing) Never had a problem.
I have never looked on the cars but I do on the bike tires, I can roll the dice when on 4 wheels but not 2.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #5

In my past ignorance I allowed a punctured tire to be replaced in 2014 and never asked about the date. The "new" tire was made in 2010.

Now granted I had no problems with it but it irritates me I have to insist on "new" being "new" and "verify" that it actually is true. I remembered this time though. . .
badatmath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just rolled out on 9 yr old bike tires yesterday. Still posting. Bikes are in the garage -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
I just rolled out on 9 yr old bike tires yesterday. Still posting. Bikes are in the garage -
You need to ride more miles or have fewer bikes.
I only have the one bike and when I get two season out of a set I'm pretty happy.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This is one reason why we always buy tires at Costco. Lots of fresh stocking moving through and a no nonsense warranty and return policy.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

From what I read it is 8 years, not 6....

But looked and some tire mfg say up to 10.... here is an article...

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how...our-tires.html
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
From what I read it is 8 years, not 6....

But looked and some tire mfg say up to 10.... here is an article...

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how...our-tires.html
Just read your reference article.

Page 2/8. How long does a tire last? "....Nissan and Mercedes-Benze tells consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life."........" Continental and Michelin say.....10 years,
provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.

Page3/8. Make sure You're getting a "Fresh" tire. "......It is fair for a consumer to expect that "new"
is not several years old,"......

So, who do you believe. The person who sells the tire. Or the Consumer groups. ?.

Thanks for letting me vent.....
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:04 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I have never looked on the cars but I do on the bike tires, I can roll the dice when on 4 wheels but not 2.
I HEAR YA! I never checked the codes on my bike tires but probably should have. They were always replaced before a year anyway. I started trailering and that saved me a bunch of worn out tires. Tires last many years stored in a wear house (which is probably environmentally controlled).
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:18 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

From experience, Old stale tires lose their grip noticably in the wet (not referring to aquaplaning) as the ozone affects the rubber. Heat cycles affect the effectiveness too. I would go back to the tire shop and ask for fresh tires. The inspection that tire shops look out for are cracks on the sidewall which ignores the lost in performance of the tires as they age.

Not sure if any of you have had the soles of new shows crumble on you from just sitting in a shelf for years. Imo it’s the same thing that tires go through.

I personally change tires out after 4 years regardless of visible condition. It’s a relatively cheap safety insurance.

2020 or bust!
Or
Perhaps 2021...2022...NVM
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

This is one thing that keeps me from wanting to purchase tires from Internet providers. I have asked in the past and they say they cannot (will not) guarantee any date range.

OTOH I had purchased a set of Michelin’s for a truck I didn’t put many miles on and after 5 years they had sidewall cracks (truck never garaged). Took it back to Discount tires and they gave me $300 (IIRC) credit on a new set since they still had significant tread left. They continue to operate in a manner that keeps my business.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:43 AM   #14

Quote:
I think the problem relates to sudden failure of tire due to structural integrity, not gradual wear of tread.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
This is one reason why we always buy tires at Costco. Lots of fresh stocking moving through and a no nonsense warranty and return policy.
another data pt for Costco.....checked date codes (for first time) and age was < 1 yr old when bought.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

How long does it take for you to wear out a set of tires?

Two of my cars have ultra high performance tires--40 and 45 series low profiles. They scarcely last longer than 20-25k miles. I buy tires for vehicles yearly anyway.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
How long does it take for you to wear out a set of tires?

Two of my cars have ultra high performance tires--40 and 45 series low profiles. They scarcely last longer than 20-25k miles. I buy tires for vehicles yearly anyway.
I wish I could get that kind of mileage out of my performance tires. I just bought a new set of 295-45's after only ~13k miles and 6mos of use. (Bought the car new in January) Wear bars were just starting to show. Almost $2k for a set, and they have to be special ordered. One of the downsides of owning ultra high performance cars.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Just read your reference article.

Page 2/8. How long does a tire last? "....Nissan and Mercedes-Benze tells consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life."........" Continental and Michelin say.....10 years,
provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.

Page3/8. Make sure You're getting a "Fresh" tire. "......It is fair for a consumer to expect that "new"
is not several years old,"......

So, who do you believe. The person who sells the tire. Or the Consumer groups. ?.

Thanks for letting me vent.....

I do not remember seeing consumer groups in the article....

I think the car companies are CYA at 6 years.... also, the article says there is a difference in a tire being used and one that is not... from my reading that means a 6 YO tire that has been on a vehicle is worse off than a 6 YO tire that was on the shelf for 2 to 4 years and is now on a vehicle....

Either way, I have asked how old the tires are every time I buy tires....

NOW, the one thing that I have not done is change out the spare!!! I have never thought about that one... so will have to think about it since one car is hitting 10 years and another will do so next year...
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
This is one thing that keeps me from wanting to purchase tires from Internet providers. I have asked in the past and they say they cannot (will not) guarantee any date range.

OTOH I had purchased a set of Michelin’s for a truck I didn’t put many miles on and after 5 years they had sidewall cracks (truck never garaged). Took it back to Discount tires and they gave me $300 (IIRC) credit on a new set since they still had significant tread left. They continue to operate in a manner that keeps my business.

Yea, I love Discount Tire.... I had a trailer tire that de-laminated (whole tread came lose) and since I had bought 3 tires from them they could see that the other had plenty of tread.... gave me full value back on that tire.... I then bought a higher speed rated tire and they gave me money back for the one that was still 'good'...

But I have also been disappointed with them.... I bought some Michelin tires that were supposed to go 90K miles... got about 40K from them... I did get the money back for the tires BUT I had also bought the extended warranty for road hazards since they were supposed to last so long... I got nothing back for that... I argued that I had bought warranty for a 90K tire but would not have for a 40K tire... nothing....
Old 07-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #20

OK. You made me look. About 9 months from manufacturing date when purchased in 2016. Since they were made in Korea (Nexen) I consider that pretty "fresh".

I used the local Midas shop, owned by a friend and managed by his son. He buys from a warehouse as needed. He can get any tire I want, and recommended Nexen as a good value for my 2012 Altima. I average less than 7,500 miles per year.