Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

New trend -- hiring older workers
Old 06-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New trend -- hiring older workers

Interesting....

"“I can assure you this is not temporary,” says Glassdoor’s chief economist, Andrew Chamberlain. “This is a long-term shift that has been going on for years.”
The reason is demographics. With longer and healthier life spans, seniors are staying in the workforce – sometimes because they’re worried about running out of money, sometimes because they’re worried about getting bored. Older workers are the fastest growing part of the labor force, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It projects that between 2014 and 2024 the number of workers age 65 to 74 will rise 55% and those 75 and older will increase 86%. By 2024, a quarter of all workers will be 55 or older."

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2...=pocket-newtab

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My guess is that it’s more of a economic need than boredom.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

75 year olds don't sling fries bc they like the heat, the standing, the great pay and the friendly customers
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We only ever stop at fast food places when driving long distance. But the times we have stopped in the last couple of years, an over-65 person was always behind the cash register. Still looked like all youngsters back in fry basket hell.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

There was this great deli in Sacramento that made awesome Italian food that we went to whenever in town. The owner was a WW2 veteran. As he aged his kids took over but he still worked the cash register and cleaned the tables. I noticed he was telling the same stories all the time but super pleasant. Finally it was tables only. He had Alzheimer’s but kept working until at 92 he got to bad. Shortly after he died they closed the business.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

50 years of spending money you don't have on things you don't need to impress people you don't know.
And it all ends at a McDonald's fryolator.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
There was this great deli in Sacramento that made awesome Italian food that we went to whenever in town. The owner was a WW2 veteran. As he aged his kids took over but he still worked the cash register and cleaned the tables. I noticed he was telling the same stories all the time but super pleasant. Finally it was tables only. He had Alzheimer’s but kept working until at 92 he got to bad. Shortly after he died they closed the business.
It started out so pleasant. I followed along, expecting something uplifting at the end - then got crushed.

Happy D-Day tomorrow.
AnonEMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have noticed that many of these jobs require some level of physical labor. Personally I would much rather use whatever physical activity left for enjoyable pursuits and not for work.

Just for grins I had registered with a local temporary work agency to see what might pop up. I usually get a notice about every other week for a job, but it almost always requires physical labor. No thanks.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #9
gone traveling

Maybe it's because none of the kids want to work these days, hard to find good help that shows up on time, minus the drama.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
75 year olds don't sling fries bc they like the heat, the standing, the great pay and the friendly customers
Why, sure they do! And they fantasize about hanging out with the kids they would work with, and the free food!

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ker-97231.html

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Anon, the old guy and his son’s were great and I liked that they let him keep coming to the store until he couldn’t. Everyone enjoyed seeing the old guy.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #12

Hiring them for what?? In tech, 50's was old. From tech to fast food or retail?? No thanks. Glad I saved some $$
Old 06-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Hiring them for what?? In tech, 50's was old. From tech to fast food or retail?? No thanks. Glad I saved some $$
Ditto...
When I thought about retiring too early, I thought:
  • OMY at HIGH pay,
or
  • 20 years as a part-time Walmart Greeter.
Pretty easy choice.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I happily lose money as a 'hobby' farmer. More fun than the gym and past 70 I feel the need to spend excess RMD after my pals at the IRS get their cut.

I'm waiting for some solar tractors to IPO and gain some market traction.

heh heh heh - back in town - Grub Hub and Uber are two of my latest sightings of grey hair. I have a friend post 70 who just went back to work ? Home Depot or Lowes? Retired Ad executive.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #15

Back in the day, I w*rked with a guy who was in his 80's. Told me he kept working to avoid being at home with his spouse all day.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We had an ancient (80's) where I worked. Story was that they would never retire, because the divorce agreement gave the ex-spouse half their pension, skipping over the current spouse. Last time I saw this person in the halls they were probably in their late 80's, and looked it, but apparently still functioning in the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Back in the day, I w*rked with a guy who was in his 80's. Told me he kept working to avoid being at home with his spouse all day.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

When looking at my high school classmates, most never made it to retirement age before retiring. Most retired in their late 50's. I know only one that's working a job at age 69. There are some self employed truckers still working, however.The

This goes against the article.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We had an ancient (80's) where I worked. Story was that they would never retire, because the divorce agreement gave the ex-spouse half their pension, skipping over the current spouse. Last time I saw this person in the halls they were probably in their late 80's, and looked it, but apparently still functioning in the job.
That must have been one very bitter divorce!
Old 06-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Why do folks assume that most older workers returning to work become greeters at WM or sling Fries, that is short sighted? Those folks most likely are the ones that never saved enough for retirement or had a financial mishap (Probably because of Medical Bills). I would not do that if I wanted to go back to work because of boredom. Other than being mind numbing, It would be a poor use of a Masters Degree in Electronic Engineering. OK, I am not up to designing complex circuits anymore (Never was really). But I am sure I could find something more rewarding to do if I was looking, and if anyone would hire me.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

From all accounts, it was not just bitter, it was kind of weird. Nobody could figure out the "why's" of that breakup. The pension business made the Law Review or some such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
That must have been one very bitter divorce!