Join Early Retirement Today

New twist on Old Scam
Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
New twist on Old Scam

Received this as part of a recent internet "offer". Looks like the fellas in Nigeria have broadened their search for benefactors. Other than the obvious misspellings and poor use of the language it still is crazy that anyone would fall for this.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Quote:
I'm U.S. Army General by name (Gen. John F. Campbell). I am currently
saving as the Commander, International Security Assistance Force and
United States Forces in Afghanistan on August 26, 2014. However, I
really want to establish a true relationship that may lead into a
business partner after resigned from my job. I saw your email through
my searching from internet and I pick interest to know you better for
mutual interest, please let continue our conversation through my
private email box or you can also Click the link below to know more about me.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Tip off: Really bad English...even for a General
Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, this isn't the first General who has been picked for these scams. Luckily everybody who knows them knows not to fall for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had a friend who sent an e-mail to all his contacts explaining that he'd be out of touch in the near future because he was going to be doing contract work in the middle East, and he was very happy because he hadn't had much work recently. A few days later he told us it had turned out to be a scam. Fortunately he hadn't sent them money or enough personal information to do any damage, but he must have been pretty embarrassed.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #5

Got a scam phonecall the other day. A guy with a thick accent told me he was calling from the Dept. of Legal Affairs at the US Treasury. He told me I was being investigated and gave me the name and number of a guy to contact. He wouldn't tell me what I was being investigated for - kept telling me I should have received info in the mail.

The whole thing was sketchy and my spidey senses were in overload that this was a scam. (I'm not the type to run afoul of the Dept. of Treasury... I pay my taxes etc... and when the guy wouldn't tell me what it was about....)

I googled afte rward and found out this is a new form of scam - they do these calls repeatedly if the person is nervous when they call... they get the target worried/nervous/panicked... then offer to "settle" for a smaller amount. Obviously the money doesn't go to the government.

I can totally see people falling for this though.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

When I was still working I belonged to a computer and network security professional organization that had a lot of feds and local LEOs as members. I was at a conference one time and sat in while one of the FBI guys was telling about a high end DC lawyer who got sucked into a 419 scam (Nigerian). This guy was bright as hell, but must have been one greedy SOB. He sent money, then kept sending money, and ended up being out several hundred thousand dollars. I couldn't believe it! I didn't think anybody actually fell for these scams, but the FBI guy said they got reports of it all the time.

This was a decade or so ago, so hopefully everybody knows not to buy in these days. But still...just another example of pigs getting slaughtered, I guess.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Got a scam phonecall the other day. A guy with a thick accent told me he was calling from the Dept. of Legal Affairs at the US Treasury. ...

I can totally see people falling for this though.
Apparently, people do fall for it, or the bad guys wouldn't bother. Though they don't need a very high hit rate - a few suckers out of hundreds/thousands of hang ups is probably enough to keep them profitable.

But I think it's scary that anybody would fall for it. The rule I live by is ignore any sort of cold call. If I didn't go looking, I don't need it. The IRS has official ways to contact people, and it is not by phone call.

I once got a call about suspected fraud on my CC. Even though it turned out to be legit, no way was I going to pick up, or call the number they left. I call the number on my card or statement, or go directly to the web site.

If everyone did that (and that's not rocket science, just common sense), these people would stop.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
When I was still working I belonged to a computer and network security professional organization that had a lot of feds and local LEOs as members. I was at a conference one time and sat in while one of the FBI guys was telling about a high end DC lawyer who got sucked into a 419 scam (Nigerian). This guy was bright as hell, but must have been one greedy SOB. He sent money, then kept sending money, and ended up being out several hundred thousand dollars. I couldn't believe it! I didn't think anybody actually fell for these scams, but the FBI guy said they got reports of it all the time.
When I was doing fraud and computer crime investigations we ran into that sometimes. I worked for a local govt. agency so what we saw was more limited. Nevertheless it confirmed that P.T. Barnum was right.

After reading a bunch of books on neuroeconomics I suppose it's akin to a gambling addiction or taking Jim Cramer's advice.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

There was a story not long ago on the morning news about this member is church who got one of these IRS calls. He was terrified that trouble would ruin his reputation so ended up losing thousands by buying money cards and coughing up money that way. Some people have no shame.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
There was a story not long ago on the morning news about this member is church who got one of these IRS calls. He was terrified that trouble would ruin his reputation so ended up losing thousands by buying money cards and coughing up money that way. Some people have no shame sense.
I don't mean to be mean, but I have to assume that anyone who would fall for the money card part of the scam shouldn't be managing their own affairs anyway. That's such an incredible giveaway. The US Gov't won't accept their own printed money as payment?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

"419" by Will Ferguson is a thriller written about the Nigerian scam industry. Not great literature, but quite interesting.

http://www.amazon.ca/419-Will-Ferguson/dp/0143176013
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote