New Windows?

Pharmmgr

Dryer sheet aficionado
Would appreciate some opinions on the following question. I am currently 45 and planning to leave full time employment and be FI by 55. We currently live in a house that is nearly paid off and is in need of new windows. Wife and I have desires to live in the south in a small condo / town home, at least during winters (live in PA), after 55. We are undecided regarding the sale of our primary residence. We believe Andersen Woodwright windows are the best for our budget but could get Vinyl for about 40% less. All my research and feedback from two contractor friends tell me the Anderson wood clad is the answer. Questions:

1. Do we spend the money for a better?

2. If we sell in 10 years, would a better quality window help house sale?

3. anyone keep their primary residence and purchase a second home after retirement and FI?

Thanks much

Patrick

If homes like yours, in your area, usually have "upscale" windows (wood clad, etc) then your home might sell more quickly if you've got the upscale windows. If comparable homes typically have vinyl windows, or if there's a smattering of both, then you are very unlikely to see an appreciable payback on any extra money you spend for wood/wood clad windows over vinyl. As far as comfort and function, good-quality vinyl windows will be just as good as wood-clad windows.
We're very happy with the Alside vinyl windows we had installed about 9 years ago.

Last edited:
I think you should ignore the potential effect on resale and just get the proper windows for the house -- ones that you will enjoy seeing and using.

Our house is 157 years old and located in a historic district full of similarly aged houses. When we bought it, the original double hung windows were still in place. But they were drafty and could be opened and closed only with difficulty. Five years ago, we replaced every window in the house (all 30 of them) with Marvin Ultimate all wood windows (Marvin Double Hung Windows for New Construction & Remodeling). They were quite expensive, but were the closest we could find to the originals. We love the way they look and work. And it was the proper thing to do for the house, which we hope will continue to please generations after us, as it has before us.

Gumby +1

It has been a while since I was doing residential real estate appraising, but I never remember giving a house more value for the type of windows. Like Samclem said, it really depends on what is around you. High end windows may increase the likely hood of a sale, but generally not the price paid.

Back
Top Bottom