Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH, an architect, has used Andersen in both of our homes. When an issue arose Andersen fixed it.

The window itself is only half the issue when you replace, you need to make sure that they are properly installed and flashing is done correctly. You really want a knowledgeable crew and that the contractor is approved by the manufacturer if they have that process. This is a construction craft worthy of using Angie's List.

If there is a seasoned architect (someone retired, an old salt in the construction business) in the neighborhood pay him/her to make onsite observations during the installation process and raise a red flag if the work isn't being properly done.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Re: Andersons were installed at new construction of the house c 1974. We bought it about 7 years ago. The leaks were at all the wood seams, I suppose new gasketing would have fixed it. We wanted to do away with the double hung setup and the storm windows.

Also the triple pane cuts all outside noise short of explosions, ie kiddie cars with fart mufflers an harleys. Low E keeps summer heat out winter heat in.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Pella has always done a good job. Here is one survey: 2013 Windows and Patio Doors Satisfaction Study | J.D. Power

Consumer's Reports has a recent report on window manufacturers. There it depends on the Pella / Anderson line. I would provide a link but I don't know if that report is on the free or subscription side.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Brat, excellent idea about having someone knowledgeable oversee the install. We are finalizing the design of the master bath remodel which includes moving 2 of the 3 windows. We plan on coordinating those window installs with the whole house install so possibly our GC could handle that?

Spent some time online earlier today and found an 'authorized installer' for several brands that has a showroom about 10 miles away. Plan on visiting them this week.

I have a subscription to online Consumer Reports and will take a look at their window ratings.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #45

I spent a good day or so this week visiting showrooms, etc. One of the companies stated 80 - 90% of their installs are retrofits. Other than adding bulk, there are supposedly no other downsides. Has anyone done this type of install? At about $200/window less than full install, the savings on 30 windows are substantial.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
I spent a good day or so this week visiting showrooms, etc. One of the companies stated 80 - 90% of their installs are retrofits. Other than adding bulk, there are supposedly no other downsides. Has anyone done this type of install? At about $200/window less than full install, the savings on 30 windows are substantial.
Are you talking about "insert" or "replacment" windows like these? They're fine. We've got nine or 10 of them in our house. Most (if not all) vinyl windows are inserts, although you can also get them in wood, like the Marvins.

If you've got a showpiece window, you'd probably want to do a full replacement, but inserts are cheaper, install quickly and don't require restoration of interior and exterior trim when you're done. Win-win.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Are you talking about "insert" or "replacment" windows like these? They're fine. We've got nine or 10 of them in our house. Most (if not all) vinyl windows are inserts, although you can also get them in wood, like the Marvins.

If you've got a showpiece window, you'd probably want to do a full replacement, but inserts are cheaper, install quickly and don't require restoration of interior and exterior trim when you're done. Win-win.
Retrofit is hard to explain, but appear to be the 'inserts' you describe. In fact, I had to have the salesperson show me to fully understand the concept. In retrofit, our aluminum frame would stay in place and the new window, including its frame, would be placed over our existing frame. We would lose glass in that the framing would be thicker than if they replaced the entire window, removing our existing aluminum framing. Would definitely not want this on our large fixed windows.

This company, which I've scratched off, would also need to install expensive scaffolding to replace our 2nd floor windows. The advantage of retrofit, as you stated, is easy install from the inside only, not messing with the trim. We will most likely do some mix and match to minimize the cost. In addition to the 30 windows, we also need to replace a sliding glass door as well as the sidelight and transom above the front door...so at about $1K per window, ouch!