Re: New Year, New Resolution, Same Results
OK i'll reveal my fitness/weight loss secrets; a topic i love about as much as ER/Investing.
1. *Its all about the Calorie; A unit of energy-producing potential equal to this amount of heat that is contained in food and released upon oxidation by the body
2. *Its also all about understanding the first law of Thermodynamics; *Energy can neither be created or destroyed.
3. *Put 1 and 2 together, and you realize a truth. *If you burn more energy (calories) than you take in, you lose weight. *You have to, unless your body retains additional water that temporarily compensates for it.
4. *Water and undigestable material will reach an equilibrium, thus become constants. *Attack the variable that isnt a constant; *Stored Energy (calories).
5. *Turn your body into a gas guzzling racecar; *three great ways to do this are 1. eat many smaller meals. (analogous to throwing small twigs on a fire intermittently instead of heavin a large, round log on it) *2. exercise, both anaerobic and aerobic *3. *get plenty of rest.
1. *Calorie count -- i use fitday.com. *Works great, esp if you have a pc at your disposal. *Guess how much calories you need/day using the tool there, then create a mild calorie debt. *I prefer this method over fads like low carbs, cause it allows you to eat what you want.
2. *Exercise daily for 30 minutes - my poison is Tae Bo II cd + Total Gym which i alternate.
3. *Weight every day, and use excel to make 3 columns; *the day, today's weight, and your weight averaged over the past 10 days. *The reason to do that is so you dont get discouraged simply because you weighted more one morning cause maybe you just ate. *The 10 day average will show daily progress.
4. *Take suppiments if you're on a diet just to make sure you're getting the vitamins and minerals you need.
When i'm on a diet doing the above, i can still eat 2200-2400 calories a day and lose about a pound a week.
That's my secret and i currently weight 158 at 5'11 (at 33 yrs old). *Although my somatotype is ectomorphic, i have a nice, muscular body too per the exercise. *You could cut out the exercising and still cause a calorie debt, but why not just maximize the pleasure of it all and have a killer bod to go with it.