New Year's Eve plans?

I will finally be off call so will get together with friends and have a few glasses of shiraz.

Good riddance to 2008, an annus horribilis!

The best part of retiring was going off call permanently . I still have memories of all nighters in the O.R. !

The best part of retiring was going off call permanently . I still have memories of all nighters in the O.R. !

We had a couple of nurses retire this week. Their colleagues made them a pinata designed like an O2 sat monitor, with numbers oscillating between 41 and 100%. They had great fun thwacking the candy out of it!

:D

Doing a country style celebration with like minded folks. There will be fireworks, barbecue, oysters, a big fire to stand around, some brown liquor, and maybe a late night drive around the farm in the golf cart. Probably pretty small, maybe less than 20 people.

My dogs will be at home, under the bed--they hate fireworks and gunfire, both common on New Yrs Eve. We're only going to the plantation behind us, so we'll be able to troupe through the woods back home in the wee hours. Should be a great time. We used to throw a huge party back in the day, when we lived at the beach, but now we live too far out for most folks to dare the drive home.

I'll be here until the 10 o'clock news comes on. The puppies will be under the covers right by my side (fireworks you know). My wife is a night owl and she will be watching the ball drop. About 1AM the fireworks subside and she takes the dogs outside where they can just pee their brains out.

Got invited to a party, but all married folks so decided to pass. Would be a little out of place. But just as soon be here drinking a little wine with my golden retriever at my feet. :) But I do plan to go to a New Year's Day party. Friends, football, good food, more wine......good way to start the first day of the year.
img_765002_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

oh, yeah...new years day is always so much fun. we do hoppin john (black eyed peas and rice), plus collard greens and cornbread. these are all for good luck in the new year and the greens are for prosperity! better eat a lot of them in 2009...

oh, yeah...new years day is always so much fun. we do hoppin john (black eyed peas and rice), plus collard greens and cornbread. these are all for good luck in the new year and the greens are for prosperity! better eat a lot of them in 2009...

That's pretty much what we always had on NYD, too...except no rice. Black-eyed peas & ham, collards, fried 'taters (a.k.a. American or Yankee fries), and, of course, corn bread slathered with butter! :D

I thought I ate a ton of black eyed peas last year.
img_765148_0_63a18a1c7f3248ff7f22ad65f253b77c.gif

We are doing nothing spectacular. just hanging out. My kids are tough uns, they ALWAYS make it to midnight and beyond. Usually I have to threaten them to get them to bed around 1:00 am.......:)

The black eyed peas are for having more coins in the new year...the collards are for folding money. There's your mistake--eat more greens this nyd!

Mmmmmm, I love cornbread!

I'm going to be at work. Gotta pay for that motorcycle somehow. The good news is that it pays double-time. Otherwise as usual we'd just stay home and out of the line of fire from all the drunks on the road.

When I was working my survival strategy was to go out, lock up the first DWI I saw, and go back to the station and do the paperwork where it was safe.

I will be working at the spa from 9-3, come home and take a nap. Go to a sober party for New Year's at a friend's house and come home to sleep. New Year's day, I am going to a breakfast with my ex-boyfriend and then doing a massage later in the afternoon. I am so excited :)

Citrine, that is great (well except for the ex-boyfriend part, unless that was a good thing)! :)
And how were the holidays with your family? I hope everything went well.

Things went surprisingly well.....I think I have changed and that in turn has made them change.
The ex is the ok thing....I am learning to cultivate relationships instead of just axing them in mid-air.
I am happy to report that quite a few drunks will be off the road this holiday season in central nj.....we will be all hopped up on coffee instead :) It is scary to think of the crap I used to do a five years ago.....be careful Walt....I will be praying for your safety :)

NYD = Hoppin' John

My folks got the recipe when they were newlyweds in the '30s while living in SC.

Hoppin' John basics:

Rice= Riches in the new year
Peas= Peace in the new year
Ham-hock= Happiness in the new year

I always made sure that I loaded up on plenty of rice. It seems to have worked well.;)

Planning to spend a quiet night at home with DW, the fireplace, a rack of ribs on the BBQ, possibly a bubbly toast at midnight preceeded by a pitcher of margaritas, and maybe black eyed peas and cornbread and whatever else. This was similar to the Chirstmas Eve plan that did not materialize for reasons untold here and now.

The official family celebration will be Saturday from about 5 PM to 10 PM at the SIL's house where we eat whatever gets brought (fried chicken and hot wings are popular, as are 7 layer dip and Fritos scoops, ham, etc.), and play bingo for gag prizes. The prizes do not change much from year to year as we just keep passing the same old gaggy things around every year to see who winds up with them while introducing a new one or two into the mix. Actually it is a pretty good time.

NYD = Hoppin' John

My folks got the recipe when they were newlyweds in the '30s while living in SC.

Hoppin' John basics:

Rice= Riches in the new year
Peas= Peace in the new year
Ham-hock= Happiness in the new year

I always made sure that I loaded up on plenty of rice. It seems to have worked well.;)

Micky--DO NOT FORGET THE GREENS for folding money in the new year! Crucial to serve with the Hoppin John! :)

Well, we were going to do the usual sushi and champagne at home, but I am down for the count with a cold that turned into a respiratory infection. So instead of champagne it will be codeine-laced cough syrup for me, which likely means I will in no way even come close to staying up to midnight. Still might carry out the thought of burning 2008 in effigy.

Back
Top Bottom