Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My kids are tough uns, they ALWAYS make it to midnight and beyond. Usually I have to threaten them to get them to bed around 1:00 am.......
So that's when the fireworks begin, huh?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #42

I'm going to be at work. Gotta pay for that motorcycle somehow. The good news is that it pays double-time. Otherwise as usual we'd just stay home and out of the line of fire from all the drunks on the road.

When I was working my survival strategy was to go out, lock up the first DWI I saw, and go back to the station and do the paperwork where it was safe.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I will be working at the spa from 9-3, come home and take a nap. Go to a sober party for New Year's at a friend's house and come home to sleep. New Year's day, I am going to a breakfast with my ex-boyfriend and then doing a massage later in the afternoon. I am so excited
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #44

Citrine, that is great (well except for the ex-boyfriend part, unless that was a good thing)!
And how were the holidays with your family? I hope everything went well.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Things went surprisingly well.....I think I have changed and that in turn has made them change.
The ex is the ok thing....I am learning to cultivate relationships instead of just axing them in mid-air.
I am happy to report that quite a few drunks will be off the road this holiday season in central nj.....we will be all hopped up on coffee instead It is scary to think of the crap I used to do a five years ago.....be careful Walt....I will be praying for your safety
Old 12-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

NYD = Hoppin' John

My folks got the recipe when they were newlyweds in the '30s while living in SC.

Hoppin' John basics:

Rice= Riches in the new year
Peas= Peace in the new year
Ham-hock= Happiness in the new year

I always made sure that I loaded up on plenty of rice. It seems to have worked well.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, looks like I need to change my menu.....
Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Planning to spend a quiet night at home with DW, the fireplace, a rack of ribs on the BBQ, possibly a bubbly toast at midnight preceeded by a pitcher of margaritas, and maybe black eyed peas and cornbread and whatever else. This was similar to the Chirstmas Eve plan that did not materialize for reasons untold here and now.

The official family celebration will be Saturday from about 5 PM to 10 PM at the SIL's house where we eat whatever gets brought (fried chicken and hot wings are popular, as are 7 layer dip and Fritos scoops, ham, etc.), and play bingo for gag prizes. The prizes do not change much from year to year as we just keep passing the same old gaggy things around every year to see who winds up with them while introducing a new one or two into the mix. Actually it is a pretty good time.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
NYD = Hoppin' John

My folks got the recipe when they were newlyweds in the '30s while living in SC.

Hoppin' John basics:

Rice= Riches in the new year
Peas= Peace in the new year
Ham-hock= Happiness in the new year

I always made sure that I loaded up on plenty of rice. It seems to have worked well.
Micky--DO NOT FORGET THE GREENS for folding money in the new year! Crucial to serve with the Hoppin John!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Well, we were going to do the usual sushi and champagne at home, but I am down for the count with a cold that turned into a respiratory infection. So instead of champagne it will be codeine-laced cough syrup for me, which likely means I will in no way even come close to staying up to midnight. Still might carry out the thought of burning 2008 in effigy.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Today we did our customary New Years Eve Day walk -- about 4 miles to downtown. We go in shops along the way looking for post Christmas bargains and get a treat to eat somewhere. Then we take the subway back with just 1.25 miles to walk at the end. Tomorrow will be cold and windy so we did it today.

We used to spend New Years Eve with friends but after 2 years of all of us waking up to the sound of firecrackers at midnight, we decided to call it quits. We'll have champagne with bread, cheese and fruit at home.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Probably hang out at home and do what comes naturally. Maybe I'll just be a cheap date after a small bottle of champagne.
I may cook up something special, or it may be pepperoni pizza on a Boboli.
I used to party very hearty back in the day. But I need to save my brain cells and liver for my golden years.
Self Inflicted update - dh2b reminded me we have some bona fide Puerto Rican rum from our 2006 cruise just collecting dust. He now has a shopping list with pineapple juice, grenadine, lime juice, ripe bananas and frozen strawberries on it.
Woohooo - it's blender time. I make killer tropical fruit rum drinks.
I guess I have to scratch off a few brain cells for 2008.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Rats - a sad day. Ah the memories.

Pre Katrina - drive over the Parish line, load up on fireworks. Put chairs out on the back deck after dark and have a 'keep up with the Jones's' fireworks duel off our respective piers(you are never too old for this) with Buzzy to left and/or Ron to the right. Then at midnight try to see Slidell, La Comb or New Orleans - on the river fireworks.

Post Katrina - trade 'Hoppin John' and pork Po-Boy creations with the neighbors and watch New Years on cable.

heh heh heh - fried cabbage, black eyed peas, and pork chops - with some New Orleans Tiger Sauce at the ready(aka hot sauce). . And I don't get to watch cause it's her secret receipe!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Self Inflicted update - dh2b reminded me we have some bona fide Puerto Rican rum from our 2006 cruise just collecting dust. He now has a shopping list with pineapple juice, grenadine, lime juice, ripe bananas and frozen strawberries on it.
Woohooo - it's blender time. I make killer tropical fruit rum drinks.
I guess I have to scratch off a few brain cells for 2008.
This is no good to me without the proportions of the recipe! But it is sounding pretty darned good right now, even guessing!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Mmm, that concoction sounds great freebird! All you need now are grapes, a palm leaf and ....

Kind of reminds me of a party I had many years ago. We all were drinking strawberry margaritas. After a while, I ran out of strawberries, but found some canned peaches and that worked. After the canned peaches were gone, I searched frantically, but could only find green beans. Nah, we didn't go there. But it was a fun night! We were all soused, but everyone stayed at my place. That was when we were young enough to sleep on the floor and was able to get up in the a.m. without help from someone else.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Mmm, that concoction sounds great freebird! All you need now are grapes, a palm leaf and ....

Kind of reminds me of a party I had many years ago. We all were drinking strawberry margaritas. After a while, I ran out of strawberries, but found some canned peaches and that worked. After the canned peaches were gone, I searched frantically, but could only find green beans. Nah, we didn't go there. But it was a fun night! We were all soused, but everyone stayed at my place. That was when we were young enough to sleep on the floor and was able to get up in the a.m. without help from someone else.
OMG, I remember running out of ginger ale, and mixing the sloe gin with cheap wine.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

There ya go...necessity is the mother of invention!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK, I was surfing the net for some fun party game ideas, in case the New Year's Party I am going to needs a little pizzazz. This was one that was suggested to me.

OMG, can't stop laughing!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
So that's when the fireworks begin, huh?
That's the time I used to START my New Year's Eve party. Once we went through 2 half barrels and 4 gallons of wine in 3 hours, then 2 cases of champagne............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 AM   #60

Simple Girl, that is the party game they had at the "Passion Party" I went to a few months ago. It is VERY funny to watch and participate in!