News-Watch and Listen or Read?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
It's not my imagination. On-line news websites are forcing a change from reading the news, to video clips. At first it was a choice... to click on the video, or read the news article. Today, not so much. In fact several of the most popular sites aren't even giving the option to "read".

I, for one, hate this. If the article isn't interesting, I can click out, but of course this is just an opinion. I would be very interested to know if I am alone in this thinking.
Your thoughts? Watch and listen, or read?

I read. Takes forever to watch video and, likely as a result, that product tends not to be in depth. Was unaware of sites not giving option to read . . .

(very prejudiced though--can't even handle audio books when driving or running, as it is too frustrating to go at such a slow pace)

I read, and turn the volume on the speakers off so the stupid videos won't annoy me.

I've more or less stopped watching TV and don't watch videos. I read.

My first choice is watching on tv but only when armed with a remote to fast forward or pause. Second choice is reading. I dislike the forced autoplay embedded videos.

Whenever I want news, which is rare, I just google it, and go to whatever site loads quickly. BBC news is good. I gave up watching nightly Big Brother TV news about a year ago. Too sappy, sanctimonious anchors, and too many commercials. If I'm at the library I may stop and read a Wall Street Journal or NYT.

There are ways to turn off the annoying resource-hogging autoplay videos. Depends on the browser, but google will tell you all you need to know.

I refuse to watch the news on the net. I want to read, otherwise they can F off. I am not listening to their garbage( get off my lawn too).

"that guy who just keeps singin'
Can't somebody shut him up?
I don't know for the life of me
Where he comes up with this stuff"

Read. Any website that forces vid gets a quick click on the top right corner.

But a lot of them have a vid on top and the text below, so I hit the pause button on the vid and read. Annoying but still much quicker and more controlled than cable TV news.

I prefer reading. When I am engaged, working on a project or driving I listen to news shows. Television news is third.

We cannot get decent video connections, any net video takes a minute to load, and I hate it anyway, so video has to be very compelling before I watch it.

I read mostly. actual newspapers (digital copies of the newspaper), web sources (a lot of them), blogs from various people. Every news source has a POV, and always has. A wide enough representation of news articles is usually adequate to figure out what's what.

What I have cut back on is TV news. the banality of the presentation and the necessary time limits they have make them the least desirable ways to consume news.

Read local garbage every morning digitally. Listen to news and talk in the car until I can't take it any more. Have really struggled to watch tv news so have the remote in my hand to switch to one of the other 400 channels at any given time.

I much prefer to read. It's easy to quickly scan an article to see if it deserves more attention.
But the latest fad on social media is to put up a video that is actually a slide show with text. Sometimes I just don't get it.

I have Alexa read me the headline news in the morning while getting ready for the day.

Much prefer reading. But I've had the same observation that more and more websites are forcing the video. It's annoying to have to pause the video immediately upon loading.

I prefer to read news over a video, although in some cases a video is useful. I HATE videos that automatically load and start playing whether you want them to or not...

Back
Top Bottom