Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by braumeister

FWIW, I would suggest you ease into it the way I did.

First, download a couple of books (preferably light fiction). Set the font size to something big and comfortable to read. Then just sit down and begin reading. If the book is enjoyable, the experience will gradually become enjoyable too.

Once you've gotten that far, try it with a magazine. The only difference is that now you'll have to be aware of the navigation controls, so you can move easily between articles and sections. Takes a bit of getting used to, but not difficult.

Final step is a newspaper, where you add the final step of getting through it fairly quickly without missing anything you might be interested in. I've been using the iPad version of the Wall St. Journal for quite a while. It was a bit tricky at first, but the app has improved immensely and now I think it's great.
I've downloaded a few books, and the experience was fine, but I am not a big book reader. I think I just like the convenience of reading it and physically touching it and throwing it away. Magazines are the same, as I can read a few articles lay it down, then come back to it later quickly. Ultimately if no other choice, I would adapt. The odd thing is I am young enough (48) where I should be willing to adapt, but I am more like an old timer, unwilling to change!

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
For me the local paper stopped being local and evolved into a generic & bland amalgamation of stuff that is similar across the country, with just a bit of real local flavor.
That is unfortunate. I guess I am lucky in that the one surviving newspaper in my area still focuses on local and statewide issues. Currently, they are leading the way in discussing how education can be reformed. And how to do it at a reasonable cost. That is the kind of journalism that I like to see. Our local paper is owned by a local family, not a Mega-Corp news organization, so that is an advantage.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I dropped my last newspaper subscription in 2006. Part of that is due to being in a small town, and the content was getting pretty lame. I am not a "read the paper every day" type person, so when I feel like reading one, or if I see headlines that interest me, I'll just pick up a single copy while at the store. That's pretty infrequent though, because I agree with the downside of wasting the physical resources necessary to produce the hard copy.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote