Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I grew up in a household that had 2 daily newspapers delivered, the Cleveland Press and the Cleveland Plain Dealer. But when I left home I found I didn't want a daily newspaper. Even before the internet I stopped subscribing.

I'm one of those people who needs to read the entire paper before I throw it out. By the time I read the full thing it's old news. As another poster said, the coupons seem like a great idea until I realized that I was carrying around great coupons for things I was not going to buy, name brand items, convenience foods, new items that they want you to try.

My current local paper, the Akron Beacon Journal, is available online at Ohio.com - Homepage . Every morning I check the front page and the local news and that's it, nice and simple. No trees ground into pulp, no ink, no big production costs, no delivery trucks (and drivers) nobody walking the block for a daily delivery. I know the ABJ has had to make cutbacks, laid off writers, drivers, etc. They can go ahead and blame me and people like me.

If I'm in a waiting room with a paper available I'll take a look. It's the same articles that I read online only now they are split up onto two pages to make room for all the ads I don't want to read.

Re-reading my comments..... I'm starting to sound like the "old curmudgeon" posters. I'm really not like that. I'm modern and high tech and I'm into simpifying. I just find a daily newspaper to be unnecessary in my life.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's amazing how primitive newspapers are. Mashing up pieces of wood from trees, soaking them in huge vats of liquid, drying them out, squeezing them together in megaton machines, cutting up the paper, shipping it around the world, banging ink onto it, and shipping it around -- every day!

I toured a paper mill once. The paper was spinning onto a semi-truck-sized roll at tremendous speed. As happens a few times per day, there was a tear, and in seconds the paper starts jumbling up everywhere. More paper flew around in that one second than I will use in my lifetime.

Seems crazy that we still do this when instead words/images/videos can be stored on a tiny drive somewhere, and people all over the world can read it instantly.

If it weren't for intellectual property rights issues, payment issues and advertising concerns, books and newspapers would have disappeared a few years ago.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #23

Good news, one of the small town papers nearby Just raised their price from $.50 to $.75 for the daily and from $1.00 to $1.50 for the Sunday's.

Looks like another paper will Byte the dust soon.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Newspaper are dead, they just don't know it yet. I stopped my local newspaper about a year ago and I don't miss it. As far as coupons go, Costco mails me/hands out 80% of the coupons I use. The remaining coupons I use are from ecouponshawaii.com or similar sites. I go to the website search for a particular category print the coupons I need, stick them in the car and I'm done. For those people with iPhones, Blackberries etc you can send them to your phone, and many merchant will accept/ scan the coupon from your phone.

Classified ads, craigslist or ebay.
International news: Google news, WSJ, Washington Post
Local News, the local newspapers website is a pretty good source until they go out of business.

As far as the I don't like to read online crowd. The raves I've heard about the Kindle mean this maybe a thing of the past, cause the Kindle is far more portable than than any Sunday paper. So if the readability is superior.

I don't think journalism is close to being dead, but as mechanism for delivering information, and readers to advertising, newspaper are extraordinarily inefficient method.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

One of the very few real bones of contention between me and my husband is his addiction to newsprint. He doesn't like to read from a computer screen and he likes to work the newspaper crossword puzzles. I keep telling him we could save over $1,000 a year--enough to buy lots of crossword puzzle subscriptions--if he'd read the papers on line, but he clings to his messy paper that gets the carpet filthy. I think he absorbs the news through his pores. He says they'll pry his Sunday New York Times out of his cold, dead hands.

Personally, I can't wait till newspapers are all online [though I surely don't want real journalism to fade away--I call the schlock on the blogs, etc. "Frankennews."] At that point, I will hook up his HDTV to a PC as a monitor...his Temple of Ludditism will fall and he will have to read the paper online.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
As far as the I don't like to read online crowd. The raves I've heard about the Kindle mean this maybe a thing of the past, cause the Kindle is far more portable than than any Sunday paper. So if the readability is superior.
I'm willing to pay $1.99/mo. for N.Y. Times headline stories for the Kindle for the convenience, rather than using the laptop.

It could be years before I go though their 2-week samples. Now, I've got The New Yorker free for two issues; I've had no trouble remembering to cancel before incurring a charge.

N.B., you really aren't hearing from a lot of Kindle owners on this forum, just a handful of us who can't resist responding.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #27

I do like reading newspapers. Do get annoyed by phony and biased and error riddled articles. Doing crossword puzzles is also a pastime of mine. No reason the news organizations can't use recycled paper.

I can't get comfortable with electronic tablets, can't roll them up and stick them in my pocket (to continue the puzzle later). Or slap the rolled paper under my arm while walking from the news stand to the coffee shop.

Besides I do despise another fricking gizmo that requires batteries, recharging. The electronic tablets are too big and cumbersome, brittle. Their tactile information through my fingertips suck. I can read a paper without scrolling with any kind of pointer thingy. You can't snap the tablet like a newspaper, with that satisfying pop. Next thing you know they'll stick GPS in them so they can track you and provide you with helpful local advertising for underwear or ice ream etc. No thanks.

Papers keep raising their prices to offset declining buyers. Perhaps their business model needs review. Like accuracy, impartial reporting of events. Perhaps less sensationalizing of the mundane.

Good investigative reporting without political slant.

But what do I know, I'm just a reader.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Papers keep raising their prices to offset declining buyers. Perhaps their business model needs review. Like accuracy, impartial reporting of events. Perhaps less sensationalizing of the mundane.

Good investigative reporting without political slant.
Talk about driving a stake through the heart...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Talk about driving a stake through the heart...
Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I think with a lot of the younger people being online that less are interested in getting a paper.

Older folks have to have the paper so they might be the ones actually keeping them in business.

I have no desire to get a paper....but I try to minimize my exposure to news...it upsets me!

Jim
Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

I quit the paper because I was just opening them up to flatten them to recycle. Yes, I had found the Internet!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
. . . but once they started giving content away they shot themselves in the foot.
The WSJ is having financial problems, but I think they are healthier than the NYT and some others. They have stubbornly clung to charging for online content, believing their product is worth it, and I think this is working better than giving everything away. Subscriptions are not very expensive--I got an offer for $100 for the print and online versions for an entire year. For this price I can see the whole thing online if I want, search their old articles, and they even send emails to you if you like when they have a new article on a company or industry you've flagged.

But, maybe the successful model will be micropricing for each article--maybe ten cents to read a complete article. For this to work, I think newspapers (or whatever we end up calling the industry of journalists who produce daily stories) will need to prevent "leakage" of content onto the free web.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I, like others have a habit of reading the newspaper in the AM over coffee. I often have the TV turned on to a news channel. Seems like overkill, I know, but that's been my AM routine for years.

The cost of the paper delivered seven days a week is only about $20/month. I have been looking at the cost of $240 annually as something that I could probably get along without, as the actual news that I get from it is not really unique.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
I think with a lot of the younger people being online that less are interested in getting a paper.
Older folks have to have the paper so they might be the ones actually keeping them in business.
I have no desire to get a paper....but I try to minimize my exposure to news...it upsets me!
Jim
i hear what ur saying jim, i also try to minimize my exposue to the news. unfortunatly the system is such that bad news is what sells most and hence is what's pushed. the internet and its ubiquity however allows us to filter what sources and topics we choose to learn about. it's amazing how much more aware people are of the world around them now and as time progresses i can only see less and less physical news papers being mainstream.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #35

I grew up on the Washington Post. I used to deliver it as a teen and read it everyday. The content has gotten sloppy. Lots of grammatical errors is very distracting to me. Over the course of three yrs, the price for the daily went from .25 to .35, then to .50 and now .75 plus .05 tax....ouch! Some claim the latest increase was caused by declining circulation due to <free> online access......

They have a zillion reporters....many with celebrity status that hardly ever contribute. They have cloned themselves into an "express" edition which is distributed for free at the subway stations...it has more advertising than news. The price of the paper is only supposed to pay for production/distribution and the payroll/profit comes from adverstising. Advertising just won't cut it when the economy is in the tank. I hope they figure out a new business model. Much of the info disseminated online and on air is initiated by newspapers that don't get any revenue for thier effort.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lots of grammatical errors is very distracting to me.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #37

ok, Al...ya got me! Let's see if I could say this without sounding too whiney. I find myself reading sentances in the newspaper over and over and finding they don't make sense or I can't tell what the writer means, or the meaning is unclear.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a paid contributor. Forum posts are written quickly without
benefit of an editor or spellcheck.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Forum posts are written ... without
benefit of ... spellcheck.
Why, when free software (FireFox) is available to do this automatically?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #39

We subscribed to the L.A. Times for as long as I can remember, and it was at one time a world class publication imo. But like the others it has been on a long downhill slide and the cuts have finally ruined it for me. I might have continued it still, even though it basically is fish wrap advertisements now, but the 1 eyed incompetent knuckle head that delivers it couldn't seem to get it to my house on a regular basis and I got sick of complaining to the circulation people. Finally said screw off, and started getting the local paper now, which at least has news from the east side of the county where I live. You'd think we were in another country (well we might as well be, but that's another rant for another time) as far as the Times is concerned.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Why, when free software (FireFox) is available to do this automatically?
I think I've got Firefox set up right, but it catches only some errors when I write a post. If I re-open the post to edit it, it catches everything. I don't know why.
And, it only seems to catch spelling errors. It does nothing for errors in logic. Maybe that will be in the next version.