Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

it's great - my house got egged two years ago and I posted a rant and four hours later the football coach called me and they were over there cleaning my house
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My neighborhood already has a Facebook page on which residents can post about topics of interest like lost pets, suspicious strangers, street repairs, houses recently put on the market, welcoming new neighbors, new businesses in the neighborhood, and so on.
Fb isn't policed as well as nextdoor - you actually have to live in the neighborhood to get verified
Old 04-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Looks like I must provide my email before I can see if there is an active group in my neighborhood?

We have a Yahoo! Groups community site and it works well but we have too many participants that will not use PM instead of replying on the forum. I thought maybe nextdoor.com might be less cluttered.
I thought so too. But if you Google nextdoor with your city-state or neighborhood (e.g "nextdoor Indianapolis IN - there are 566 Indy neighborhoods already online), it shows all active neighborhoods near that city. Pretty complete. They claim there are already thousands of neighborhood forums established.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Quote:
My neighborhood already has a Facebook page on which residents can post about topics of interest like lost pets, suspicious strangers, street repairs, houses recently put on the market, welcoming new neighbors, new businesses in the neighborhood, and so on.
Fb isn't policed as well as nextdoor - you actually have to live in the neighborhood to get verified
Get verified I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't seen a single Facebook post that was made by an outsider, if that is what you mean. My neighborhood is small and extremely stable (most have lived here 50+ years), so that may be why it works for us.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Get verified I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't seen a single Facebook post that was made by an outsider, if that is what you mean. My neighborhood is small and extremely stable (most have lived here 50+ years), so that may be why it works for us.
nextdoor has one or two people that live in the neighborhood verify that you actually live where you say you live before you can join

FB isn't that strict, it depends on the group moderator
Old 04-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
nextdoor has one or two people that live in the neighborhood verify that you actually live where you say you live before you can join

FB isn't that strict, it depends on the group moderator
Oh! Thanks for the explanation. Yes, of course we have a responsible group moderator who lives here and knows everyone. This has never been an issue at all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Our neighborhood also uses a private Facebook group, no hurdles to jump through and only residents can join the private group. Only requirement is you have to be on Facebook.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I thought so too. But if you Google nextdoor with your city-state or neighborhood (e.g "nextdoor Indianapolis IN - there are 566 Indy neighborhoods already online), it shows all active neighborhoods near that city. Pretty complete. They claim there are already thousands of neighborhood forums established.
Thanks! I actually already tried that with no results but when I copied your format exactly it came up with 48 hits. None of these are actually close to me so at least I know I'm not missing out on anything.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I have used it for a couple years. Seems harmless enough. I've only posted one time and I don't think she ever has, but we frequently discuss topics that come up. I've yet to see any feuds or bullying, and political stuff gets quickly moderated. I get a daily email summary of new posts and click if something interests me. I probably click on one or two topics every day. Our local police department uses it for official announcements. The City has also used it for official announcements about upcoming street closures/repairs/timing/etc, which I find to be very useful. I'm not sure how effectively that could be accomplished with a Facebook group.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
I'm curious what you mean by this.

I don't see it as any different than my use of this board. I choose not to get notifications of new posts on either. So I read both just when I choose and can read either on computer or phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Item: Quickly get the word out about nighborhood break ins, lost dogs etc.

This forum I look at random days and times.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Based on this thread I signed up only to find that I'm the only one in my neighborhood or even nearby. sigh.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Based on this thread I signed up only to find that I'm the only one in my neighborhood or even nearby. sigh.
yeah it kinda only works if you have a bunch of neighbors on it...maybe more will join
Old 04-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #33

There are a number of neighborhoods shown on their map in my area, but none of them include my street.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #34

Quote:
yeah it kinda only works if you have a bunch of neighbors on it...maybe more will join
Invite them to join as my neighbor did me and I others. My understanding is that's the only way...you need an invite from one of your neighbors, although that may have changed in the past years.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #35

Quote:
So you have to have neighbors?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:03 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

While I have never heard of nextdoor.com we have something similar here... Front Porch Forum... you can join your town and adjoining towns... posts typically are people who have stuff available for sale or free... people looking for stuff.... local political issues... etc.

I post there occasionally and get an email summarizing posts every day from my town and an adjoining town every day. Our towns are probably like your neighborhoods (1,500 and 3,000, population respectively).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I was an early adopter when our local police starting using it. I think it's a pretty effective tool and is worthwhile. I am our neighborhood lead (aka moderator) and am able to control the unruly folks without too much issue. We did have an issue for a while with folks posting commercial stuff (Realtor listings,etc) but I have been very aggressive on keeping that at bay.

Bottom line, I like it and have yet to see any ramifications (unsolicited emails, robot robocalls, etc.) that would dissuade me from using it.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

We have nextdoor in our neighborhood and it is quite active. Only a few times have the moderators had to step in and curtail a thread

It is a great way for information sharing. You post that you are looking for a service provider (doctor, lawyer, indian chief) and you will get at least a dozen or so options posted in reply.

It seems that a lot of neighbors that I might not talk with routinely have an electrician, plumber, painter, etc that I have called upon and been VERY satisfied
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
So how do you get verified, I'm not keen to publicly post my name and address so someone can verify me.
Am I able to "see" who is already on it, to select who could verify me ?

Seems like a chicken and egg issue.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So how do you get verified, I'm not keen to publicly post my name and address so someone can verify me.
Am I able to "see" who is already on it, to select who could verify me ?

Seems like a chicken and egg issue.
I don't remember. I think someone has to verify you when you sign up.