Join Early Retirement Today

NFL: 2014 Season
Old 03-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

NFL: 2014 Season

With the free agency 'Three Day Negotiating Window' starting yesterday--when teams can discuss potential deals with players of other teams--the 2014 NFL Season has begun. Of course, the draft occurs a couple of months away, May 8-10. Teams are now working on building their 2014 rosters. The OTAs start in late April, I believe, training camp in July, then come the 2014 pre-season games, then the regular season games (with the exact 2014 schedule to be announced in April).

As for my Seattle Seahawks, the current NFL Champions, it seems the Chicago Bears are "making a push" for our defensive end, Michael Bennett. He had a only a one-year $4.8M deal with the Hawks, and is now looking to cash in on his recent great playing and Super Bowl Champion status. I'd like to see him stay but if he leaves, I'm sure Coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider will find a suitable replacement. I'd like to see current Seahawk free agents WRs Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin, kicker Steven Hauschka, and FB Michael Robinson stay with the team. (I enjoy Robinson's "inside the Seattle Seahawks' locker room" RealRobReport videos. I highly recommend them.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Once you win the Super Bowl, it's always difficult to repeat for the very reason that the personnel (players, coordinators and non-head coaches) of the SB champs get courted and move on. Of course, there's also that salary cap to contend with.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #3

Bennett will join his brother.

Money makes it improbable to create a multi year championship team in any sport. It all is based on when you peak and how many players you have under contract at the time. Even then, everyone is gunning for you and you have a tougher schedule.

Seahawks had a great run and the league will copy the tall/athletic defensive backfield. You had a good run.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Seahawks had a great run and the league will copy the tall/athletic defensive backfield...
Top Five Defensive Free Agents:

Quote:
“Defense wins championships.” This is one of the oldest expressions when it comes to the game of football. Well, that statement couldn’t be any more accurate. After what we saw last season with the Seattle Seahawks, teams will line up out the door to try to acquire the services of some of the top defensive talent in this year’s free agent class.
BTW: I also suspect that Bennett may join his brother at the Chicago Bears, or go elsewhere to the highest bidder, if the Seahawks don't offer the biggest money. Bennett has seemed to be interested more in the financial aspects of pro football (such as at ~12:25 indicates)--which isn't a knock on him for wanting to be paid what he thinks he's worth.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
BTW: I also suspect that Bennett may join his brother at the Chicago Bears, or go elsewhere to the highest bidder, if the Seahawks don't offer the biggest money.
Multiple reports stating Bennett is staying in Seattle, even though Chicago is offering him more money.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

From Birdie's post...

“Defense wins championships.” This is one of the oldest expressions when it comes to the game of football. Well, that statement couldn’t be any more accurate. After what we saw last season with the Seattle Seahawks, teams will line up out the door to try to acquire the services of some of the top defensive talent in this year’s free agent class.

Well, it is not a guarantee.... Houston had the 6th best defense (by the rankings) and 3rd best pass defense.... and they are getting the first pick in the draft!!!

However, the offense was giving up points left and right... I think they set the record for most consecutive games with a pick 6...
Old 03-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
From Birdie's post...

Well, it is not a guarantee.... Houston had the 6th best defense (by the rankings) and 3rd best pass defense.... and they are getting the first pick in the draft!!!

However, the offense was giving up points left and right... I think they set the record for most consecutive games with a pick 6...

I enjoy betting season NFL win totals and Houston is on my radar if Vegas gets the number wrong. The previous season the Vikings were the reverse of Houston. Winning 10 games and didn't deserve too, caught every break. Vegas knew that and posted 7.5 and I still I pounded the under and was rewarded easily. I am hoping for a low number for Texans and hit the over hard as they are not the worst team in football, just had the worst breaks and as you said "pick 6's".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Multiple reports stating Bennett is staying in Seattle, even though Chicago is offering him more money.
Just now reported on local Seattle radio that Bennett has re-signed with Seattle for ~$8M year for 4 years, $16M guaranteed. Press conference in about an hour.

Edit:
1. I'm happy to be wrong: Bennett turned down more $ from two other teams to stay with Seattle, per reports. Guess he did give a "Costco discount" after all. (Helps too that WA does not have a state income tax like IL does. That's gotta be worth ~3-5% of net.)
2. "I m back I m happy super bow champ .The 12th man is the biggest reason I came back the best fan." Michael Bennett on Twitter
3. Also reported on local KJR Radio that teammate Richard Sherman called Bennett twice a day to convince him to stay.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Seahawks will stay in championship contention as long as they have the cap space availiable while Russell Wilson is still on his rookie contract, maybe longer is they are able to pick-up value free agents (like Bennett and Cliff Avril, last year).

Good to see them resign Bennett although I fear Red Bryant may prove harder to replace. You can never have enough defensive lineman, especially on the interior.