Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

SF is lookin' good right now, but I think it might have more to do with Dallas being GAWDAWFUL.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
We'll have to wait and see how good the 9ers are but it looks like there's a good chance of a rematch between Seattle and Denver in the Superbowl. I of course will be rooting for Green Bay but I think they'll come up short in the playoffs.
Pretty sure I read that its been 9 yrs since the reigning Super Bowl champ has even won a single playoff game. Those Super Bowl champs all looked like they would get back the next yr. The odds of both Seattle and Denver both making it back again this yr are astronomical no matter good they appear going into the season.

I'll go out on a limb a bit and say it will be Denver and Philly.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
SF is lookin' good right now, but I think it might have more to do with Dallas being GAWDAWFUL.
Dallas had the 3rd worst defense in NFL history last season...then they lost their 3 best defensive players and their 4th best is suspended. They are TERRIBLE!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Dallas had the 3rd worst defense in NFL history last season...then they lost their 3 best defensive players and their 4th best is suspended. They are TERRIBLE!
They are living up to it right now, too!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I remain a stalwart Patriot. 's only on'd be fun if they met, especially after the whupping the Broncs handed the Patriots last year.
Lifelong Pats fan here.

With the way they played against the Dolphins today they better correct most the their problems quickly if they hope to make the playoffs.

I know it's only one game but sooner or later Belichick's moves are going to bite him in the behind (trading Logan Mankins and releasing Tommy Kelly among others).
Old 09-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Lifelong Pats fan here.

ohhhh, there are two teams I always hated to see: the Dolphins and the Broncos. Not that I hated the teams, but what they could do to the Patriots. Forget the Raiders: I do hate them.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got back home from a Bears loss, bummer. Against the Bills no less.

However, it was a great day and DW agrees. Weather was fantastic. Fun time.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Thursday the reigning NFL champion threw down the gauntlet and won convincingly.

Today and Monday night, the other 30 challengers take the field.

Go Hawks!
As a Packer's fan, I can only hope we get another shot at you later.

Good game!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
That pretty much sums up the game, for me. Let's see how well SF does against a better defense. They play the Bears next week, who apparently aren't much better than the Cowboys, if at all.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
ohhhh, there are two teams I always hated to see: the Dolphins and the Broncos. Not that I hated the teams, but what they could do to the Patriots. Forget the Raiders: I do hate them.

Let me explain why I detest the Raiders: a long time ago, they (specifically, Jack Tatum) paralyzed Darryl Stingley (a receiver) in a preseason game.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #31

A number of surprises so far today for me.

The Texans won but of course it was against Washington. However, JJ Watt was absolutely assume. Nothing like a new 100 million dollar contract to bring out the best in some people.

Can't believe New Orleans lost. But it was an interesting game.

Also, I've seen a number of really bad officiating calls today in several games. I guess they need to get their acts together too.

Watching Peyton right now (I means the Broncos) taking on the Colts. Maybe he should join this forum and start thinking about retiring in a year or so. After all, he's already 38 in a young mans game. On second thought, I'll bet he isn't too worried about safe withdrawal rates.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
A number of surprises so far today for me.

The Texans won but of course it was against Washington. However, JJ Watt was absolutely assume. Nothing like a new 100 million dollar contract to bring out the best in some people.
Ahhhh..J.J. - he was great today. It's too bad he is on the Texans as he won't get a Super Bowl ring here.

But he is destined for Stardom! He is making commercials for lots of companies (H.E.B., Verizon, Ford, etc). He is on TV every day! And on highway road signs, on labels in stores, and in the news, and (you name it).

The Ford F-150 is J.J.'s truck and it is now "the truck of Texas!" (Move over Chevrolet)

I sure hope he doesn't run for a political office.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

For some reason I find it odd that Peyton Manning is actually younger than me.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #34

Great comeback by Philadelphia yesterday. Had Jacksonville prevailed, the loser pool I'm in would have lost almost half it's entries in Week One!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #35
gone traveling

Lots of great comebacks in week 1. What a great game NO / ATL was. Seattle and SF are headed for a showdown ... they look like the two best teams.

Are there any Raiders fans left?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #36

I don't think the Cowboys defense was *as* bad as I'm hearing all over the place. For one thing, 21 of the 28 points the 49ers scored came off of turnovers, either directly or after a short drive on a short field. For another, SF was shut out in the second half after Dallas stopped turning it over.

I don't know why the Cowboys didn't run more, especially in the first half. SF was not doing a good job of stopping Murray at all. Indeed, Dallas had more yards and apart from the turnovers, they were the better team. Of course, in the NFL that's like saying "except for my spending more than I earned over the last 30 years, I'd be able to retire comfortably".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Just got back home from a Bears loss, bummer. Against the Bills no less.

However, it was a great day and DW agrees. Weather was fantastic. Fun time.
Now we get to play 49ers in Frisco. I think this season can get ugly really fast. Already looking forward to Blackhawks and Bulls.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Now we get to play 49ers in Frisco. I think this season can get ugly really fast. Already looking forward to Blackhawks and Bulls.
Before the Buffalo game, I thought da bears might go 10-6. Now I'm thinking 8-8. Their defense (against the run) looks the same as last year. Cutler looks great most of the game but throws a bonehead pass up the middle (against his body) to a d tackle. Cutler can look like the best qb in the league and a rookie in the same game.

The game next week (SF) could be a blood bath. Hope I'm wrong.

A life long Bears fan.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't think the Cowboys defense was *as* bad as I'm hearing all over the place. For one thing, 21 of the 28 points the 49ers scored came off of turnovers, either directly or after a short drive on a short field. For another, SF was shut out in the second half after Dallas stopped turning it over.

I don't know why the Cowboys didn't run more, especially in the first half. SF was not doing a good job of stopping Murray at all. Indeed, Dallas had more yards and apart from the turnovers, they were the better team. Of course, in the NFL that's like saying "except for my spending more than I earned over the last 30 years, I'd be able to retire comfortably".
I'd be rich if I had a nickle for every time I heard someone say "I dont know why the Cowboys didnt run more" in the last 3 years. Jason Garrett is a terrible coach, but its all Jerry Jones can get because no real coach wants to be a puppet.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
The four turnovers were not caused by the defense and actually, I was reasonably impressed with their pass rush, which looked much better than last year. Offensive line looked good as well, but Tony Romo, that is another matter. I heard he threw his helmut after the game and that also got intercepted