Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
We can debate this all we want but I wouldn't want any QB on my team other than Brady. Over the years he did much more with average receivers than other QBs have done with much superior talent and he always limited the critical mistakes that cost his team a playoff game.
I totally agree but my only point is that this could be true even if his win-loss record was not as stellar. It's intangible and hard to measure.
__________________

__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #662
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Htown Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Time for a mid-season update on the "worst to first" theory...

Here's where the candidates stand after 8 weeks.

Their odds for the fab four making the playoffs:

Buffalo 45%
Cleveland 22%
Houston 33%
Atlanta 6%, but already needs help
Final update: Of all of last year's last place teams, only Atlanta still has a chance to finish first in their division.

With a record of 7-9.
__________________

__________________
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
The Broncos (Manning) certainly earned that loss with Peyton throwing four interceptions.
I think it's safe to say he threw away any chance of getting MVP. Rodgers should be a lock now. Romo is coming on strong to end the season but with Murray leading the league in rushing they will split votes. JJ Watt, and Brady will likely each get a few votes. Even Roethlisberger may get a couple but it shouldn't be a very close vote with Rodgers winning assuming he doesn't throw 3+ Ints in the last game.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #664
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think it's safe to say he threw away any chance of getting MVP. Rodgers should be a lock now. Romo is coming on strong to end the season but with Murray leading the league in rushing they will split votes. JJ Watt, and Brady will likely each get a few votes. Even Roethlisberger may get a couple but it shouldn't be a very close vote with Rodgers winning assuming he doesn't throw 3+ Ints in the last game.
Agree, Peyton is out of the running for MVP this year. I'd like to see JJ get it but playing for the Texans is probably going to hurt him. Also, he's a defensive player and all the glory seems to go to the QB's and running backs. Examples, since 2003, Peyton has won it 5 times, Brady twice and Rodgers once. With only one game left in the regular season, I expect it will be another QB this year. Probably Rodgers but Brady and Romo will be contenders.

Defensive player of the year award. JJ - no contest
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #665
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Agree, Peyton is out of the running for MVP this year. I'd like to see JJ get it but playing for the Texans is probably going to hurt him. Also, he's a defensive player and all the glory seems to go to the QB's and running backs. Examples, since 2003, Peyton has won it 5 times, Brady twice and Rodgers once. With only one game left in the regular season, I expect it will be another QB this year. Probably Rodgers but Brady and Romo will be contenders.

Defensive player of the year award. JJ - no contest
JJ doesn't even lead the league in sacks. I think for a defensive person to win the MVP they have to lead the league in sacks by a large margin or set a new record. Running backs have to lead the league in rushing by a large margin or cross over 2000 yds. Murray leads the league by a large margin in rushing which is why he'll get some consideration but without crossing 2000 yds I don't think he can beat out the top QBs. Romo won't get a lot of votes because of his past. Brady will get more votes than he should because of his past but Rodgers will get the win he deserves.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #666
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
JJ doesn't even lead the league in sacks. I think for a defensive person to win the MVP they have to lead the league in sacks by a large margin or set a new record. Running backs have to lead the league in rushing by a large margin or cross over 2000 yds. Murray leads the league by a large margin in rushing which is why he'll get some consideration but without crossing 2000 yds I don't think he can beat out the top QBs. Romo won't get a lot of votes because of his past. Brady will get more votes than he should because of his past but Rodgers will get the win he deserves.
Doesn't JJ lead the league in touchdowns by a defensive player?
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #667
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Doesn't JJ lead the league in touchdowns by a defensive player?
I dont think you can count his TDs while playing TE as defensive TD's by a defensive player. Hes not leading the league in TDs by a defensive player while playing defense.
__________________
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #668
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
JJ doesn't even lead the league in sacks. I think for a defensive person to win the MVP they have to lead the league in sacks by a large margin or set a new record.
No doubt, sacks are important but that's only tells part of the story for a defensive player. Besides that, JJ is ranked #2 in sacks and is only 1/2 a sack out of first place.

I doubt that any defensive player will win MVP (as usual) although JJ could be the rare exception in 2014. However, as I said earlier, I do think he should win the best defensive player award. Sack leader or not.
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #669
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Another impressive 1H for Cowboys, with Murray breaking Emitt's record. Also glad to see our former HS QB leading KC over Chargers in 1H.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #670
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,483
I guess Gary Kubiak (Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator) must be feeling pretty good today since it was his team that knocked the Houston Texans out of the 2014 playoffs yesterday. Especially since the Texans fired him last year as their head coach.
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #671
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Bears Black Monday! GM on down have been canned! Let the rebuilding begin, about time the McCaskey's change things up and hopefully for the better.
__________________
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #672
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Bears Black Monday! GM on down have been canned! Let the rebuilding begin, about time the McCaskey's change things up and hopefully for the better.
Just yesterday Trestman said he expected to stay as Bears' head coach: Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman expects to return in 2015 - ESPN Chicago . Just a little out of touch with the reality of this season's play.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #673
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Just yesterday Trestman said he expected to stay as Bears' head coach: Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman expects to return in 2015 - ESPN Chicago . Just a little out of touch with the reality of this season's play.
Too bad Trestman failed and he seems like a caring individual. Emery too. But it's all about the wins and losses.

Now, I wish they also have a new QB hunt.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #674
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Bears Black Monday! GM on down have been canned! Let the rebuilding begin, about time the McCaskey's change things up and hopefully for the better.
They'll never get the results they want with their loser QB. It's not just about stats (what Cutler fans always defend with), there are plenty of people in all sports who are technically able, but not mentally.

http://www.abreakingnews.com/sports/...r-h311520.html

We have a lot of close friends who are lifelong Bears fans, I feel for them. They're still fully supportive but despondent, but even they can't keep themselves up with nothing to talk about since 1985...
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #675
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,456
I have a feeling that the decision to offer Cutler a big contract is going to haunt them for quite a while.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #676
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
They'll never get the results they want with their loser QB. It's not just about stats (what Cutler fans always defend with), there are plenty of people in all sports who are technically able, but not mentally.

Bears need to stop basing major decisions on Jay Cutler

We have a lot of close friends who are lifelong Bears fans, I feel for them. They're still fully supportive but despondent, but even they can't keep themselves up with nothing to talk about since 1985...
Cutler is a coach and offensive coordinator killer.

I hope the new coach at least has another QB in mind to compete.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #677
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,417
Not a Bears or Cutler fan but a team isn't going to go very far with the 30th ranked defense in the league.
__________________
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #678
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Not a Bears or Cutler fan but a team isn't going to go very far with the 30th ranked defense in the league.
If they decide to keep the same defensive coordinator, I'm looking for another team to follow
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #679
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Interesting that the defensive coordinator, Mel Tucker, who should've been fired last year hasn't been fired....I wonder what they're waiting for? Maybe there's a time sensitive clause that has to elapse before they can him. I hear all the coaches are being paid thru next year (Trestman for 2 years). In the past, the McCaskey's would rather let the contract lapse before firing someone.

RE:Cutler, sure you'd want to get someone better, but all the better QB's are all locked up and their teams would never let them go (Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Wilson, Brees, fill in the blank here). There hasn't been a decent free agent since they had to sign him last year either. When they had to choose, sign or tag him, the argument is what happened w/Brees, when he fought back and was a no show to any training since he never signed his franchise contract, not to mention a franchise tag would've hindered getting other free agents signed.
__________________
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #680
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Interesting that the defensive coordinator, Mel Tucker, who should've been fired last year hasn't been fired....I wonder what they're waiting for? Maybe there's a time sensitive clause that has to elapse before they can him. I hear all the coaches are being paid thru next year (Trestman for 2 years). In the past, the McCaskey's would rather let the contract lapse before firing someone.

RE:Cutler, sure you'd want to get someone better, but all the better QB's are all locked up and their teams would never let them go (Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Wilson, Brees, fill in the blank here). There hasn't been a decent free agent since they had to sign him last year either. When they had to choose, sign or tag him, the argument is what happened w/Brees, when he fought back and was a no show to any training since he never signed his franchise contract, not to mention a franchise tag would've hindered getting other free agents signed.
Emery's biggest blunder was he should have just franchised Cutler last year and not locked in an unproven QB to a huge contract. Trestman's blunder amongst others was last year when he played Cutler after Cutler was out 4 weeks and McCown the previous game set franchise records the game before against Dallas. Trestman left Cutler in during that following game despite him grabbing his sore groin every few snaps
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NFL: 2014 Season Birdie Num Nums Other topics 8 03-10-2014 03:28 PM
NFL 2010 Season harley Other topics 19 12-29-2010 10:52 AM
2009 NFL Season Notmuchlonger Other topics 39 02-06-2010 08:28 PM
New NFL season Notmuchlonger Other topics 69 01-18-2009 07:47 PM
My NFL quarterback can whup your NFL quarterback... saluki9 Other topics 11 10-10-2007 08:14 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.