Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
We can debate this all we want but I wouldn't want any QB on my team other than Brady. Over the years he did much more with average receivers than other QBs have done with much superior talent and he always limited the critical mistakes that cost his team a playoff game.
I totally agree but my only point is that this could be true even if his win-loss record was not as stellar. It's intangible and hard to measure.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #662
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Time for a mid-season update on the "worst to first" theory...

Here's where the candidates stand after 8 weeks.

Their odds for the fab four making the playoffs:

Buffalo 45%
Cleveland 22%
Houston 33%
Atlanta 6%, but already needs help
Final update: Of all of last year's last place teams, only Atlanta still has a chance to finish first in their division.

With a record of 7-9.

No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
The Broncos (Manning) certainly earned that loss with Peyton throwing four interceptions.
I think it's safe to say he threw away any chance of getting MVP. Rodgers should be a lock now. Romo is coming on strong to end the season but with Murray leading the league in rushing they will split votes. JJ Watt, and Brady will likely each get a few votes. Even Roethlisberger may get a couple but it shouldn't be a very close vote with Rodgers winning assuming he doesn't throw 3+ Ints in the last game.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think it's safe to say he threw away any chance of getting MVP. Rodgers should be a lock now. Romo is coming on strong to end the season but with Murray leading the league in rushing they will split votes. JJ Watt, and Brady will likely each get a few votes. Even Roethlisberger may get a couple but it shouldn't be a very close vote with Rodgers winning assuming he doesn't throw 3+ Ints in the last game.
Agree, Peyton is out of the running for MVP this year. I'd like to see JJ get it but playing for the Texans is probably going to hurt him. Also, he's a defensive player and all the glory seems to go to the QB's and running backs. Examples, since 2003, Peyton has won it 5 times, Brady twice and Rodgers once. With only one game left in the regular season, I expect it will be another QB this year. Probably Rodgers but Brady and Romo will be contenders.

Defensive player of the year award. JJ - no contest
Old 12-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Agree, Peyton is out of the running for MVP this year. I'd like to see JJ get it but playing for the Texans is probably going to hurt him. Also, he's a defensive player and all the glory seems to go to the QB's and running backs. Examples, since 2003, Peyton has won it 5 times, Brady twice and Rodgers once. With only one game left in the regular season, I expect it will be another QB this year. Probably Rodgers but Brady and Romo will be contenders.

Defensive player of the year award. JJ - no contest
JJ doesn't even lead the league in sacks. I think for a defensive person to win the MVP they have to lead the league in sacks by a large margin or set a new record. Running backs have to lead the league in rushing by a large margin or cross over 2000 yds. Murray leads the league by a large margin in rushing which is why he'll get some consideration but without crossing 2000 yds I don't think he can beat out the top QBs. Romo won't get a lot of votes because of his past. Brady will get more votes than he should because of his past but Rodgers will get the win he deserves.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #666
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
JJ doesn't even lead the league in sacks. I think for a defensive person to win the MVP they have to lead the league in sacks by a large margin or set a new record. Running backs have to lead the league in rushing by a large margin or cross over 2000 yds. Murray leads the league by a large margin in rushing which is why he'll get some consideration but without crossing 2000 yds I don't think he can beat out the top QBs. Romo won't get a lot of votes because of his past. Brady will get more votes than he should because of his past but Rodgers will get the win he deserves.
Doesn't JJ lead the league in touchdowns by a defensive player?
Old 12-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Doesn't JJ lead the league in touchdowns by a defensive player?
I dont think you can count his TDs while playing TE as defensive TD's by a defensive player. Hes not leading the league in TDs by a defensive player while playing defense.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #668

Quote:
JJ doesn't even lead the league in sacks. I think for a defensive person to win the MVP they have to lead the league in sacks by a large margin or set a new record.
No doubt, sacks are important but that's only tells part of the story for a defensive player. Besides that, JJ is ranked #2 in sacks and is only 1/2 a sack out of first place.

I doubt that any defensive player will win MVP (as usual) although JJ could be the rare exception in 2014. However, as I said earlier, I do think he should win the best defensive player award. Sack leader or not.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #669

Another impressive 1H for Cowboys, with Murray breaking Emitt's record. Also glad to see our former HS QB leading KC over Chargers in 1H.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #670

I guess Gary Kubiak (Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator) must be feeling pretty good today since it was his team that knocked the Houston Texans out of the 2014 playoffs yesterday. Especially since the Texans fired him last year as their head coach.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #671

Bears Black Monday! GM on down have been canned! Let the rebuilding begin, about time the McCaskey's change things up and hopefully for the better.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #672
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Bears Black Monday! GM on down have been canned! Let the rebuilding begin, about time the McCaskey's change things up and hopefully for the better.
Just yesterday Trestman said he expected to stay as Bears' head coach: Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman expects to return in 2015 - ESPN Chicago . Just a little out of touch with the reality of this season's play.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Just yesterday Trestman said he expected to stay as Bears' head coach: Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman expects to return in 2015 - ESPN Chicago . Just a little out of touch with the reality of this season's play.
Too bad Trestman failed and he seems like a caring individual. Emery too. But it's all about the wins and losses.

Now, I wish they also have a new QB hunt.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #674
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They'll never get the results they want with their loser QB. It's not just about stats (what Cutler fans always defend with), there are plenty of people in all sports who are technically able, but not mentally.

http://www.abreakingnews.com/sports/...r-h311520.html

We have a lot of close friends who are lifelong Bears fans, I feel for them. They're still fully supportive but despondent, but even they can't keep themselves up with nothing to talk about since 1985...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #675
Give me a forum ...

I have a feeling that the decision to offer Cutler a big contract is going to haunt them for quite a while.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
They'll never get the results they want with their loser QB. It's not just about stats (what Cutler fans always defend with), there are plenty of people in all sports who are technically able, but not mentally.

Bears need to stop basing major decisions on Jay Cutler

We have a lot of close friends who are lifelong Bears fans, I feel for them. They're still fully supportive but despondent, but even they can't keep themselves up with nothing to talk about since 1985...
Cutler is a coach and offensive coordinator killer.

I hope the new coach at least has another QB in mind to compete.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #677

Not a Bears or Cutler fan but a team isn't going to go very far with the 30th ranked defense in the league.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #678
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Not a Bears or Cutler fan but a team isn't going to go very far with the 30th ranked defense in the league.
If they decide to keep the same defensive coordinator, I'm looking for another team to follow
Old 12-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #679

Interesting that the defensive coordinator, Mel Tucker, who should've been fired last year hasn't been fired....I wonder what they're waiting for? Maybe there's a time sensitive clause that has to elapse before they can him. I hear all the coaches are being paid thru next year (Trestman for 2 years). In the past, the McCaskey's would rather let the contract lapse before firing someone.

RE:Cutler, sure you'd want to get someone better, but all the better QB's are all locked up and their teams would never let them go (Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Wilson, Brees, fill in the blank here). There hasn't been a decent free agent since they had to sign him last year either. When they had to choose, sign or tag him, the argument is what happened w/Brees, when he fought back and was a no show to any training since he never signed his franchise contract, not to mention a franchise tag would've hindered getting other free agents signed.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #680
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting that the defensive coordinator, Mel Tucker, who should've been fired last year hasn't been fired....I wonder what they're waiting for? Maybe there's a time sensitive clause that has to elapse before they can him. I hear all the coaches are being paid thru next year (Trestman for 2 years). In the past, the McCaskey's would rather let the contract lapse before firing someone.

RE:Cutler, sure you'd want to get someone better, but all the better QB's are all locked up and their teams would never let them go (Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Wilson, Brees, fill in the blank here). There hasn't been a decent free agent since they had to sign him last year either. When they had to choose, sign or tag him, the argument is what happened w/Brees, when he fought back and was a no show to any training since he never signed his franchise contract, not to mention a franchise tag would've hindered getting other free agents signed.
Emery's biggest blunder was he should have just franchised Cutler last year and not locked in an unproven QB to a huge contract. Trestman's blunder amongst others was last year when he played Cutler after Cutler was out 4 weeks and McCown the previous game set franchise records the game before against Dallas. Trestman left Cutler in during that following game despite him grabbing his sore groin every few snaps