Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2015, 02:03 AM   #941
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My problem is that they seemed to be using the same 'rule' for both of these plays and the rulings were the exact opposite...

Bryant took a few steps before hitting the ground while he appeared to reach for the goal line... hit the ground and lost control of the ball.... so no possession....

The punt returner caught the ball and was hit hard... he was out cold before he hit the ground.... when he hit the ground he lost the ball... but, he had possession and was down by contact... (I saw NO football move here... not even one step)....

I do not see how the NFL can square these two calls when you compare them against each other..... and both were reversed on replay....

Hey.... just ran across this on Yahoo.... says the same thing I did (I had not read this before posting)...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...011551652.html
+1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 05:33 AM   #942
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The refs overruled the call on the field of possession to the Broncos. I thought obviously, Cribbs didn't have possession in this case.

I actually agree more with saying the Bryant play was a no catch than the Cribbs play as him having possession.
I guess I was not clear when I said refs on the field. Where I said the refs on the field, I meant after they reviewed the video replay, where they judged that he had possession and that the ground caused the fumble. That looked like the right call to me as the receiver had the ball held tight to his stomach until he hit the ground, at which point the ball came loose.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 AM   #943
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Tweet from the Detroit Lions Twitter account - "Sorry @dallascowboys. We know the feeling:"
Funny.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #944
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes the ground can cause a fumble, sometimes it can't. Doesn't make any sense to me. Wonder if they will reconsider the rule(s) for the future?

"Breaking the plane" also doesn't seem to make sense as it doesn't apply anywhere else on the field. But that's another matter.

Detroit was a bad call per NFL admission, Dallas was a bad rule?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #945
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The ground actually CAN cause a fumble. If you are running down the field and trip and fall all on your own its a fumble if you lose the ball when you hit the ground. If you are knocked to the ground and lose the ball when you fall its not a fumble because you are down in the instant that you touch the ground. You are down before the ball comes loose.

When you're running with the ball you already have possession of it. If you are trying to catch a pass, its different. You cant fumble it until you have officially caught it and taken possession of it. That's why the Bryant catch was incomplete. He was never officially in possession of it until you completed the process of the catch which he didn't do. If he had crossed the plane of the end zone it would've made no difference because he wasn't in possession of the ball when he did it.

Whether or not the rule sucks is a whole different question. I used to think it sucked but now I think I agree with it. When you are diving out of bounds or falling when you catch the ball I really think you should have to hold onto it after you hit the ground to make it a catch. Now in this Calvin Johnson Video, it looks to me like he still had the ball when he hit the ground and dropped it as he was starting to stand up but they still ruled it incomplete.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #946
Give me a forum ...

Packers at Seattle, Colts at New England - sounds like two good games. Hope so.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #947

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Tweet from the Detroit Lions Twitter account - "Sorry @dallascowboys. We know the feeling:"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Funny. Juvenile
FIFY

A stark contrast to the classy comments made by Jason Garrett after the GB victory. I'd be a bit embarrassed by this Tweet if I was a Lions fan.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #948

Ill take Indy over NE in the AFC

I'll stick with my original prediction from a while ago that GB takes the NFC so GB over Seattle, although if Rodgers' calf doesn't heel quite a bit this week it could be ugly.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:58 AM   #949

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I don't understand why people are saying Manning is done. He was one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL this year. He may be slipping but more than half the teams in the league would love to have him take the place of whoever they have now.
Did you watch the game? He can't throw a ball beyond 10 yards with any accuracy. He started the year well but his arm strength declined as the season progressed. Now this may be related to a recent injury or something physical but I doubt it.

I think he should retire and be remembered as the great QB that he is rather than the mediocre QB that he would become.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #950

NE vs Seattle in the SB.

Seattle beat Green bay by 20 the first game of the season with a healthy Rodgers.

NE beat Indy by 22 points with Jonas Gray running for 200 yards and he has been inactive since....
Old 01-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #951

Seems like Dez deliberately made a "move" to get in the end zone, so perhaps this review and reversal was incorrect. Interesting the Calvin Johnson play for which this rule is sometimes called, made no such move on his end zone catch.

Former NFL Official Highlights The Biggest Problem With The Controversial Dez Bryant Reversal - Business Insider
Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #952
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Did you watch the game? He can't throw a ball beyond 10 yards with any accuracy. He started the year well but his arm strength declined as the season progressed. Now this may be related to a recent injury or something physical but I doubt it.

I think he should retire and be remembered as the great QB that he is rather than the mediocre QB that he would become.
He hasn't played well for almost half the season. When he had the neck injury and surgeries, he had to learn to throw all over again. Arm strength was a big part of that rehab. I know his DRs claimed his neck was better than ever, but you wouldn't have to go very far to find a DR. to disagree with that opinion. There's been a number of players that had the same surgery, their careers didn't last long after returning to the game.

I'd like for Peyton to go out and be remembered as a great QB. I admire him for coming back to a sport he loves. Rehabilitation for cervical issues is really tough. The consequences for being wrong about his c-spine, very severe.

I read he was asked what about next year and his answer was non-committal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #953

Quote:
NE vs Seattle in the SB.

Seattle beat Green bay by 20 the first game of the season with a healthy Rodgers.

NE beat Indy by 22 points with Jonas Gray running for 200 yards and he has been inactive since....
Rodgers only threw an interception in 3 games all season and Seattle was one of them. Lacy was bad in the first half of the season but has been quite good the second half. If GB can eliminate turnovers and run the ball well then they have a good chance. They need to be at their best but it can be done.

I don't see NE losing unfortunately.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #954
Give me a forum ...

I don't have an opinion on whether Manning should retire (though what he says immediately after a disappointing season ending loss at home might not be a good gauge) - but with his knowledge and love of the game, I could see him becoming even more legendary as a coach than he is as a player. Unless he skips all that and goes directly to GM or owner. Time will tell...

Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #955
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
FIFY

A stark contrast to the classy comments made by Jason Garrett after the GB victory. I'd be a bit embarrassed by this Tweet if I was a Lions fan.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I thought it was clearly in jest and not objectionable given the circumstances.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #956
Give me a forum ...

I'll go with the Patriots over the Colts in a close game. If Rogers were healthy, I think the NFC Championship would be a very good game but I'm skeptical that the Pack can contend against the Seahawks' defense with Rogers lack of mobility.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't have an opinion on whether Manning should retire (though what he says immediately after a disappointing season ending loss at home might not be a good gauge) - but with his knowledge and love of the game, I could see him becoming even more legendary as a coach than he is as a player. Unless he skips all that and goes directly to GM or owner. Time will tell...
I see him more of a GM/Owner like John Elway.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #958
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I see him more of a GM/Owner like John Elway.
If only the Boyz were for sale...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #959
Recycles dryer sheets

What a great "final four". Two of the historically great QB's, and two future greats...

And boy, did Manning's "legacy" take a hit. Great regular season record - but I just saw his playoff record...mediocre sums it up. I really like the guy though - great commercials...for what that's worth.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #960
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
What a great "final four". Two of the historically great QB's, and two future greats...

And boy, did Manning's "legacy" take a hit. Great regular season record - but I just saw his playoff record...mediocre sums it up. I really like the guy though - great commercials...for what that's worth.
Like everyone else we admire Peyton. But it's hard to call him one of the greatest ever when even Eli has two Super Bowl wins. And for those who are quick to say it's the teams/coaches around any given QB legend, did Eli have the greatest teams or coaching around him?

There are lots of athletes in many sports with great records on paper, who don't have the big wins to match. The true greats have both, or maybe more of the latter?