Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2015, 03:10 PM   #1361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Like Brady's recent answer, I haven't had much time to digest this fully.

IMO, he definitely wasn't truthful in his press conference back in Jan. But if the Commish decides there's enough to warrant a suspension, I'd only give a 1 game suspension and a moderate fine. If there's not enough evidence, I'd give him no punishment and let the perception yay or nay play out over time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #1362
Recycles dryer sheets

Tom Brady's legacy = Barry Bonds' legacy?

Old 05-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #1363
Give me a forum ...

My guess is a the ball guy get canned. Nothing for any player for any player. New rules and process put in place for ball control. It's just improving the game.....

🐑
Old 05-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #1364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
Tom Brady's legacy = Barry Bonds' legacy?
What an odd comparison. Footballs perhaps, maybe but no one is sure other than one game, a PSI or so below standard compared to performance enhancing drugs. That sounds a bit warped to me.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #1365
Give me a forum ...

Not a Brady or Pats honk by any means, but if what he did was so egregious why didn't any of those idiot zebras catch it. The ball is handled by two officials almost every down and not one of those clowns noticed it all these games and/or years? Brady may serve a suspension but the zebras collectively should have to pass the hat to pay the fine just for being unobservant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #1366
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Probably more likely than not" that it happened and Brady "perhaps generally aware".
Such a firm and conclusive condemnation!

And from that assessment, he's become a cheater, a liar, should be stripped of the SB, all records, deserves a million dollar fine and lifetime suspension?

Good thing he didn't smack his wife unconscious in an elevator or hit his kids with a switch!

Good gawd.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #1367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Not a Brady or Pats honk by any means, but if what he did was so egregious why didn't any of those idiot zebras catch it. The ball is handled by two officials almost every down and not one of those clowns noticed it all these games and/or years? Brady may serve a suspension but the zebras collectively should have to pass the hat to pay the fine just for being unobservant.

I would think because they are not squeezing the ball every time they touch it... being down a pound or so in PSI, the ball will probably feel the same without any pressure put on it...

I would also say (without any real knowledge) that the feel probably is not much different between the two either... just a hunch....
Old 05-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
"Probably more likely than not" that it happened and Brady "perhaps generally aware".

And from that assessment, he's become a cheater, a liar, should be stripped of the SB, all records, deserves a million dollar fine and lifetime suspension?

Good thing he didn't smack his wife unconscious in an elevator or hit his kids with a switch!

Good gawd.
Meanwhile the other 31 teams in the NFL and their fans would kill to have him be their QB............
Old 05-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Meanwhile the other 31 teams in the NFL and their fans would kill to have him be their QB............
31 teams? No way.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Good gawd.
Nobody here said he should get a lifetime suspension, or a million dollar fine, or be stripped of the SB, or any of his records.

Le'Veon Bell just got suspended 3 games for having marijuana which is becoming legal state by state right now. Texas which is a very conservative state is in the process of legalizing it right now. If players are going to be suspended for minor off the field infractions then Brady certainly deserves a 1-3 game suspension.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #1371

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Nobody here said he should get a lifetime suspension, or a million dollar fine, or be stripped of the SB, or any of his records.
You obviously didn't read all the posts. Post #1331 mentioned a million dollar fine for Brady and a 10 million fine for the team.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #1372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would think because they are not squeezing the ball every time they touch it... being down a pound or so in PSI, the ball will probably feel the same without any pressure put on it...

I would also say (without any real knowledge) that the feel probably is not much different between the two either... just a hunch....

I actually agree with you. Which reinforces my thought that this is being blown up a bit out of proportion. I think it is in line with Don Sutton sandpapering baseballs, and Gaylord Perrys use of vaseline, dozens of offensive lineman greasing their uniforms up, etc. None of those offenders were hearing of possible suspensions equal to or more than a quarter of a season. I am probably out of touch with todays view. In something like this to me its more like...Ok you caught me, suspend me a game and give me a fine and lets move on.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #1373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I actually agree with you. Which reinforces my thought that this is being blown up a bit out of proportion. I think it is in line with Don Sutton sandpapering baseballs, and Gaylord Perrys use of vaseline, dozens of offensive lineman greasing their uniforms up, etc. None of those offenders were hearing of possible suspensions equal to or more than a quarter of a season. I am probably out of touch with todays view. In something like this to me its more like...Ok you caught me, suspend me a game and give me a fine and lets move on.

I too compare deflating the footballs to getting an edge as similar to pitchers doctoring the ball in baseball and if there's enough proof, then Brady should be suspended accordingly. I think one game (1/16th of a regular season) is enough.

True, he may have cheated for years, but there's no way to know if and when he did and on previous games.

Gaylord Perry is a good comparison as he is in the Hall of Fame. His stats still should stand, though those who follow baseball know he had a little assistance from his helpers (as in Mr. Vaseline) . In other words, he cheated his way to the Hall of Fame.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #1374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
You obviously didn't read all the posts. Post #1331 mentioned a million dollar fine for Brady and a 10 million fine for the team.
Yeah, I missed that. No mention of lifetime suspension of taking away his records though.

Personally, based on the suspension happy NFL right now, I think Brady should get a 2 games suspension and the Pats should lose a first round pick next yr. Fines are pretty useless when you are dealing with multimillionaires. Besides Brady would lose a hell of a lot of salary already if he gets suspended for a couple games.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #1375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not a Brady or Pats honk by any means, but if what he did was so egregious why didn't any of those idiot zebras catch it. The ball is handled by two officials almost every down and not one of those clowns noticed it all these games and/or years? .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me... if one PSI or so isn't very noticeable to the officials who handle the ball every offensive down I don't get how an underinflated ball can be such a significant advantage to cause such an uproar.

In any event, I hope that the league puts new procedures in place so we never have to go through this stuff ever again.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #1376

If you've ever thrown an NFL football you know its very hard and if you dont have huge hands its very hard to grip. You cant throw it very far and with accuracy if you cant get a good grip on it. If you take a little bit of air out its much easier to grip. The officials normally just flip the ball underhanded. They don't try to throw the ball like a QB does.

Also, I would bet that a race car driver could tell if his tires are slightly over or under inflated when the avg person has no clue unless their tire light comes on or a tire is low enough to be seen by the naked eye which would be much more than 1 PSI.

Rumor now is that Brady will be suspended for the season. Pats are "fearful of a 6-8 game suspension".
Old 05-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #1377
Give me a forum ...

NFL: 2014 Season

Quote:
If you've ever thrown an NFL football you know its very hard and if you dont have huge hands its very hard to grip. You cant throw it very far and with accuracy if you cant get a good grip on it. If you take a little bit of air out its much easier to grip. The officials normally just flip the ball underhanded. They don't try to throw the ball like a QB does.

Also, I would bet that a race car driver could tell if his tires are slightly over or under inflated when the avg person has no clue unless their tire light comes on or a tire is low enough to be seen by the naked eye which would be much more than 1 PSI.

Rumor now is that Brady will be suspended for the season. Pats are "fearful of a 6-8 game suspension".

If they "go bigger" I would guess part of the reason will be because he did little to cooperate with investigators to teach others a lesson. I think Tommy was trying to follow Favre's playbook when there was an investigation of him allegedly shooting off pictures of little Brett. He successfully stonewalled them and only received a minimal fine out of it for refusing to cooperate if memory serves me.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #1378

Quote:
For the season

Brady can sue the league a la Jonathon Vilma who got his one year suspension revoked.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #1379
Recycles dryer sheets

; >)

Old 05-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #1380
Give me a forum ...

So begins the Jimmy Garoppolo era ...

Quote:
Tom Brady will be the highest-profile player ever suspended in the 96-year history of the NFL.

Roger Goodell’s decision is expected to be announced next week, and it is no longer a matter of if the NFL commissioner will suspend Brady, but for how long he will suspend him.
Quote:
The feeling is that the Wells Report supplied Goodell with enough ammunition to suspend Brady both for breaking the rules by ordering the deflation of footballs and by not cooperating with the investigation when he refused to turn over his cell phone to Wells’ investigators.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2215881