Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #1401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
This should work...

I love it! Poor Tom must have made the mistake of getting advise from Favre over "phone issues". "Stonewall them Tom. I did and only got a 100 grand fine for failing to cooperate, whatever you do don't let them see the phone!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #1402
Give me a forum ...

For once I'd like to see someone, TB in this case, stand in front of everyone, and admit to poor judgement, beg for forgiveness, and take the punishment.

As if...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #1403
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
For once I'd like to see someone, TB in this case, stand in front of everyone, and admit to poor judgement, beg for forgiveness, and take the punishment.

As if...
But...That would take the fun out of things
Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #1404
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

As if...
While I agree in broad principle, I'd be willing to bet Tom will have his punishment reduced or eliminated with the appeal, so...

We will see. But I am not looking for a back & forth, I'd rather just let the process take this wherever it leads. The league isn't any more credible than any team or player IMO - they're all just acting to maximize profits above all else.

Quote:
Brady denies tampering. Another, some might argue better, quarterback admits it. “I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football,” Aaron Rodgers told CBS’s Phil Simms pre-Deflategate, “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.” Aside from the rule-breaking admission, the Green Bay Packers QB’s preference for bigger footballs brings into question whether a lack of pressure provides an advantage or caters to a preference. Additionally, Fox’s cameras caught the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers heating balls this past season in frigid Minneapolis. NFL officiating guru Dean Blandino told the teams to knock it off. Rodgers has thus far escaped both the tongue lashing and the $25,000 fine. Rule 2, Section 1 states: “The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications…. the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.” This didn’t happen. “In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted,” Rule 2, Section 2 holds, “the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball.” This didn’t happen.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #1405
Give me a forum ...

When the smoke clears, will be interesting to see if TB will be considered "Tom Shady" or "Teflon Tom"

Quote:
Nobody should be surprised that Tom Brady has enlisted attorney Jeffrey Kessler as the embattled Patriots quarterback fights the mind-numbingly over-the-top suspension handed down by the National Football League.

When youíre in trouble, you get the best lawyer you can afford. In Bradyís case, price is no object. So he went out and hired Kessler, who has a sound track record when it comes to fighting the NFL.

Itís called lawyering up. In this case, itís lawyering upscale. Hey, smoke íem if you got íem.
Buckley: Tom Brady has got a choice to make | Boston Herald
Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #1406
Give me a forum ...

While I stand by my previous statement re: "owning up", I still think this was blown out of proportion, by "someone". I have no doubts that QBs around the league tend to prefer the ball inflated to their "spec", rules notwithstanding. And my own decidedly unscientific experiment with different pressures lead me to conclude that the grip and feel was only slightly different on balls inflated to the min and the max.

Still, TB taking the high road would at least lessen the stench caused by denial and excessive lawyering. No matter what your opinion of Brady, his career stats and successes speak for themselves, and I have strong doubts that his choice of air pressure has made much difference. A little humility would be refreshing...

Old 05-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #1407
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always wonder why these elite athletes feel the need to cheat, bend the rules, or whatever you want to call it. Nelson Cruz got suspended 50 games for taking HGH. He came back last season, assumingly without HGH in his system, and led the league in HRs with 40. This season he is leading again so far. Clearly he didn't need HGH and its obvious that Brady didnt need deflated balls either. There's no reason for it when you are already that good.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #1408

I don't particularly like the Pats or Brady, but I don't see how this would even remotely have affected the outcome. Seems like yet another NFL decision that is causing controversy, only this one is much ado about nothing.

That said, I am pretty happy with how the Cowboys draft went.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #1409

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I don't particularly like the Pats or Brady, but I don't see how this would even remotely have affected the outcome. Seems like yet another NFL decision that is causing controversy, only this one is much ado about nothing.

That said, I am pretty happy with how the Cowboys draft went.
The Cowboys continue to draft and sign every problem child that comes along. There's a reason nobody drafted La'el Collins even though he was a projected 1st round pick. There's a reason why not a single other team wanted to sign Greg Hardy even though hes a pro bowl talent. Randy Gregory....Dez Bryant...Joseph Randle...the list goes on. We call this a pattern and it contributes to their lack of success.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
The Cowboys continue to draft and sign every problem child that comes along. There's a reason nobody drafted La'el Collins even though he was a projected 1st round pick. There's a reason why not a single other team wanted to sign Greg Hardy even though hes a pro bowl talent. Randy Gregory....Dez Bryant...Joseph Randle...the list goes on. We call this a pattern and it contributes to their lack of success.
As to this years draft, I can agree with your sentiments regarding Gregory, but as to La'el, no way. The others you mentioned were not part of this year class, but certainly the Cowboys have not been shy to add bad boys, although I do suspect they do more than many other teams to give them opportunity and support to become better citizens, although that doesn't always work.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #1411

Quote:
They just want to play "hardball"
Old 05-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #1412

Quote:
As Colin Kaepernick said: "There's no football that's going to get you 38 points in a game"
Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 PM   #1413
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
As Colin Kaepernick said: "There's no football that's going to get you 38 points in a game"
And no spying or Watergate break-in wins you 49 out of 50 states electoral votes so I guess Nixon really didn't do anything wrong....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-14-2015, 05:47 AM   #1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
And no spying or Watergate break-in wins you 49 out of 50 states electoral votes so I guess Nixon really didn't do anything wrong....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Kaepernick is a great QB so I'd guess his opinion is an informed one.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #1415

An ESPN poll shows that 63% of all fans support the penalties dished out to Brady and the Pats. Of fans who called themselves "avid" fans, it was 73% in support of the punishments.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #1416
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
An ESPN poll shows that 63% of all fans support the penalties dished out to Brady and the Pats. Of fans who called themselves "avid" fans, it was 73% in support of the punishments.
Yeah, no pre-existing biases went into that poll. You don't care for the Patriots et al, we got that.

Quote:
The New England Patriots are among the most hated teams and most popular teams in the NFL, according to a poll this week.

The Patriots, who play the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday, are second to only the Dallas Cowboys among teams fans hate the most, according to Public Policy Polling.

The top five: Cowboys (18 percent), Patriots (13), Chicago Bears (9), New York Giants (9) and Pittsburgh Steelers (9). The Pats were third on the list last year.

But the Patriots are almost among the most popular teams. When voters are asked to name their single favorite team: Packers (15 percent), Cowboys (13), Seahawks (10), Denver Broncos (9), Patriots (9) and Steelers (9).
Super Bowl 2015: Poll says New England Patriots second-most hated NFL team | syracuse.com

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #1417

If the Pats are one of the most popular and the most hated, that should pretty much cancel out any bias in the poll shouldn't it?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #1418
Give me a forum ...

At least the Cowboys are #1 in something!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #1419

Quote:
They won 11 games with Cassel the season after going 16-0 with Brady. They went 12-4 with Brady last season. They clearly aren't as good as they were in 2007-2008.

They are probably going 1-3 without Brady. They play Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Jacksonville and Dallas. Looking at their schedule, I would say they will go 8-4 when Brady gets back which puts them at 9-7 and not winning the division, but that's what makes sports so fun. Arguing and debating with your rival teams' fans.
That is more of a wishful thinking on your part. You're hoping they'll go 9-7.

Vegas' odds makers changed the line for the first game of the season against the Steelers from 7 points favored to 3.

Also the odds of the PATS winning the SB has not changed with the news of the Brady suspension. It remains at 8/1 which is 3rd after the Seahawks and Packers.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #1420

Quote:
At least the Cowboys are #1 in something!
Well, they were #1 in Team Value not long ago, and may still have that distinction.