Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #961
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sportswriter Tom Mahon of the NY Daily News got in a lick on Chris Christie after the Dallas-GB game, calling him "The Outlaw Jersey Whale." As one of my former editors once said, "I guess the sensitivity police were off duty last night."
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #962
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

There are lots of athletes in many sports with great records on paper, who don't have the big wins to match. The true greats have both, or maybe more of the latter?
Great teams won't win without a great QB, and great QBs won't win without a great team
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #963

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Great teams won't win without a great QB, and great QBs won't win without a great team
But a great QB makes a good team great
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #964
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Like everyone else we admire Peyton. But it's hard to call him one of the greatest ever when even Eli has two Super Bowl wins. And for those who are quick to say it's the teams/coaches around any given QB legend, did Eli have the greatest teams or coaching around him?

There are lots of athletes in many sports with great records on paper, who don't have the big wins to match. The true greats have both, or maybe more of the latter?
I don't see why someone who has so many records is considered not great. I have not heard the same about Dan Marino and he never won a SB Favre only 1 just like PM. Get hot at the right time and a 9-7 team can end up in the SB and since it's one game win it. It doesn't mean they are necessarily the best team. Indeed many times the real SB is played out in a conf final. I would say that last years was, SF and the Hawks looked to be the 2 best teams and show it in their game
Old 01-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #965
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Did you watch the game? He can't throw a ball beyond 10 yards with any accuracy. He started the year well but his arm strength declined as the season progressed. Now this may be related to a recent injury or something physical but I doubt it.

I think he should retire and be remembered as the great QB that he is rather than the mediocre QB that he would become.
The fact he's been playing with a torn quad for the last few weeks may have something to do with it.
Peyton Manning of Denver Broncos played with torn right quad for the last month of the season - ESPN
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #966
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The fact he's been playing with a torn quad for the last few weeks may have something to do with it.

Peyton Manning of Denver Broncos played with torn right quad for the last month of the season - ESPN

That doesn't surprise me. I mentioned in this thread several weeks ago, he may be hiding an injury as he doesn't like to make injury excuses. You just don't go from being the same as always Manning through first half of season to this. You do not get old suddenly in middle of the season. Clearly my guess is that is why they went to a running game halfway through season. The difficult questions now for him is ....can I get healthy again....and can I stay healthy if I do..... And of course management has to figure out if it's worth the $19 million risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #967

Peyton Manning has a very long history of not playing well in big games. How does someone who has been one of the best regular season QB of all time have a post season record of 11-11?

He had similar problems in college. At the time his major rival at Tennessee was the Florida Gators.
He lost to them 62-37....his only loss of the season
Lost 35-29 and threw 4 INTs....only lost 2 games this season
Lost 33-20....his only loss of the season.

He struggles in big games over and over again. That will always something that lingers in peoples mind when they look back at his career.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
That doesn't surprise me. I mentioned in this thread several weeks ago, he may be hiding an injury as he doesn't like to make injury excuses. You just don't go from being the same as always Manning through first half of season to this. You do not get old suddenly in middle of the season. Clearly my guess is that is why they went to a running game halfway through season. The difficult questions now for him is ....can I get healthy again....and can I stay healthy if I do..... And of course management has to figure out if it's worth the $19 million risk.

If this is the case then I applaud him for playing through such an injury without allowing it to be a distraction to the team.

But I also agree with you that he may not be able to come back from such an injury at his age and be the dominant QB that he is.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #969
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I must have backed the DVR up at least 10 rimes and watched it again and again. That one was close and could be argued either way IMO. It's just unfortunate that the outcome of a game this important has to be decided on a call like that. You win some and you lose some.

Truly great teams don't get themselves in a situation where one bad call can cost them the game. Just my 2 cents.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #970
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Just hearing that too.

Kinda begs the question, at one point should the backup be considered as obviously, Manning was laboring vs the Colts.

The Packers/Seahawks game may be known as the Matt Flynn game
Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #971

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Tweet from the Detroit Lions Twitter account - "Sorry @dallascowboys. We know the feeling:"
I thought the lions were more than gracious with that tweet, since the Cowboys wouldn't even have been playing Sunday if it were not for the refs in the previous game.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #972
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Just hearing that too.

Kinda begs the question, at one point should the backup be considered as obviously, Manning was laboring vs the Colts.

The Packers/Seahawks game may be known as the Matt Flynn game
As long as Manning and Rodgers are able to stand upright and have a functional right arm, then they are better than their backups.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #973

John Fox just got the boot
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #974

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Yay!! The Broncos were so outcoached on sunday it was pathetic!!

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #975
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Like everyone else we admire Peyton. But it's hard to call him one of the greatest ever when even Eli has two Super Bowl wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
I don't see why someone who has so many records is considered not great. I have not heard the same about Dan Marino and he never won a SB Favre only 1 just like PM.
Huh? Peyton's undoubtedly a great QB, I didn't suggest otherwise. My post specifically said "greatest ever" as I have heard many sportscasters claim, even again during yesterday's game. Greatest ever is what I was questioning.

I may well have forgotten, but I don't remember anyone claiming Marino or Favre were the "greatest ever" - though they were both great.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Peyton Manning has a very long history of not playing well in big games. How does someone who has been one of the best regular season QB of all time have a post season record of 11-11?

He had similar problems in college. At the time his major rival at Tennessee was the Florida Gators.

He struggles in big games over and over again. That will always something that lingers in peoples mind when they look back at his career.

I don't dispute that Utrecht, and sadly my personal all time favorite (besides Staubach) Brett Favre was only 13-11 even Dan Marino was under .500 in post season. We have to be a bit gentle on career playoff records as in theory due to byes from reg. season records, a QB in theory could go to 15 straight Super Bowls and only have a 15-15 record to show for it.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #977
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Four AFC West titles in four years and a 46-18 record. That's pretty damn good. His contact was up so it's not like he was fired, he just wasn't re-hired.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #978

Quote:

He's now lost NINE first playoff games in his career. Since 1966, the next worst is four.

Peyton factor, indeed.

Colts fan here, and as I watched the Colts bleed the clock on Peyton in the fourth quarter, I thought, "I've seen this before from the other side." injured or not, Peyton's blown an awful lot of games his teams should've won in the playoffs. While the "he can't win a big game" is inaccurate, he definitely doesn't play as well when things aren't 100% his way.

Sadly, I don't think Peyton will be remembered as the best quarterback for either franchise. He's not better than Elway, and Luck will end up better than Peyton in Indy, in my opinion. He's already ahead of where Peyton was in year three, and with less offensive talent around him to boot.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #979
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hearing that Denver is cleaning house. Coach, coordinators told to keep their resumes updated
Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #980
Give me a forum ...

A commentator said yesterday that one thing PM had to consider about next season was that Denver would likely have a new OC.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote