Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #1201
gone traveling

As a change of pace from deflated balls, did anyone hear about the Colorado inmate who is suing the NFL over the Dez Bryant call

Jailed fan suing NFL for $88 billion over Dez Bryant non-catch vs. Packers - CBSSports.com
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #1202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
As a change of pace from deflated balls, did anyone hear about the Colorado inmate who is suing the NFL over the Dez Bryant call

Jailed fan suing NFL for $88 billion over Dez Bryant non-catch vs. Packers - CBSSports.com

I think I'm due compensation for mental anguish for being a Texas Ranger/Dallas Maverick/Dallas Cowboy "fan" all these years...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #1203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post

He has a good idea, doomed to fail. Hit the league where it matters to them $$$$. I'd love to see SB ratings fall, I know it won't happen. But it would send the right message

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #1204
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
A little n=1 experiment:

One football, "regulation" but not a game ball (don't need a $100 football...).

Inflated to 13psi at 71F, then set outside on the patio table for 30 min. Outside temp 43F.

Pressure now 11psi.

Admittedly, a SWAG, using a $7 hand pump/gauge, of dubious accuracy/precision.

Numbers is hard, but my rough calculation yielded a theoretical 12.2psi.

I would add that there wasn't much difference in feel between 11 and 13...

Did you put a bunch of balls on one side of the table and a bunch on the other and try to see if at any point all of the balls on one side of the table stayed inflated while the other balls miraculously deflated?
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #1205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Did you put a bunch of balls on one side of the table and a bunch on the other and try to see if at any point all of the balls on one side of the table stayed inflated while the other balls miraculously deflated?

Maybe half of them actually inflated... ;-)

I'm pretty sure there was some intent, but I wonder how common it is for balls to be "just so", depending on the QB. Several former QBs have chimed in, commenting that they like balls a certain way, though Troy Aikman seems adamant that the QB had to know, and that severe punishment is necessary.

Obviously, the Pats are well-hated, so this is one more instance of "cheating". Funny that the refs handled the football the entire first half without noticing, which leads me to believe that the balls were not different enough to attract their attention.

And, as I mentioned, there wasn't much difference in the grip on the ball between 11 and 13, so unless the damned things were near flat, it's hard to see any competitive advantage. I could comfortably grip the ball at 13, and Brady's hands are likely larger than mine, given he's four inched taller.

Be that as it may, intentionally breaking rules, even ones generally ignored with a wink and a nod, damages the integrity of the game...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
We're on to Seattle.............
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #1207

I saw the official SB49 program at my local Safeway for $15.00 Friday. Almost bought it. Then saw that Costco was selling tons of them for $10.50, so picked one up. It's pretty nice.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
We're on to Seattle.............
Seahawks are just now about to leave the VMAC for Arizona, with thousands of fans lining the streets to cheer them on. It'll be all over local TV. Go Hawks!

Edit: Here's the video of last year's trip from the VMAC to Sea-Tac airport:
Old 01-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #1209
Moderator Emeritus

Seahawks are expected to arrive in Phoenix at around 1 pm Sunday and Patriots at around 3 pm Monday. A Super Bowl XLIX hologram type thing already lights up the stadium at night.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #1210

Doug and Team, good luck!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #1211

Just curious, did anyone watch any of the Pro Bowl yesterday?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #1212
Give me a forum ...

Whether it explains the current controversy or not...this post is not an attempted to address this one.

I am sure there are QB's who like the ball soft, and their equipment guys legally inflate the team balls to 12.5 psi, most likely in the locker room where ambient temp is around 70F. When it's cold outside, once the balls acclimate (30 minutes) they are less than 12.5 psi, could be substantially less when the temp differential is large.

I am sure there are QB's who like the ball hard (Rodgers is on record), and their equipment guys legally inflate their team balls to 13.5 psi, again in a locker room. When it's really hot outside, once the balls acclimate they are more than 13.5 psi, though the temp differential on the up side will never be as great as cold weather situations, so the discrepancy won't be as large.

IOW, there have been deflated balls many times over the years, and there have been over inflated balls as well.

There's no ambient temp specified for pre-game psi testing, though the league may believe the 12.5-13.5 range may help mitigate that variable. And I wouldn't be surprised if the league wants QBs to have some latitude with how the ball feels, another reason there's a range of acceptable.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #1213
Give me a forum ...

I think Belichick in his press conference did a good job as a defense attorney . That is, to offer up an alternative line of reasoning. Another possible cause that of who (what) done it.

It will be interesting to see what the NFL says and if they take any action whatsoever after their findings.

About the psi changes. If the psi did change by almost 2 psi, the peculiar outcome is out of 24 footballs, 11 of them, all from the Pats weren't in the proper range.

Unless of course, the Pats followed the rules by having them at the minimum psi, but the Colts over inflated their balls which then the psi dropped to an acceptable level under the temperature conditions. Hmm, the cause for deflategate is either on the refs, temperature, or the Colts
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #1214
Give me a forum ...

The Patriots have pulled off a public relations coup. Watching the national news today on several networks, there was no mention of the Seahawks at all. Lots of talk about inflated footballs, the Pat coach and QB. And that's it. One would think that the Super Bowl will be nothing more than a scrimmage between two strings of the Pat players.

I realize the news media is extremely East coast centric, but they have really shown it this past few days.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #1215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The Patriots have pulled off a public relations coup. Watching the national news today on several networks, there was no mention of the Seahawks at all. Lots of talk about inflated footballs, the Pat coach and QB. And that's it. One would think that the Super Bowl will be nothing more than a scrimmage between two strings of the Pat players.

I realize the news media is extremely East coast centric, but they have really shown it this past few days.
But the TV stations need an irritation meter to show how irritated the Pats will get when asked again and again about ball deflation
Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #1216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
About the psi changes. If the psi did change by almost 2 psi, the peculiar outcome is out of 24 footballs, 11 of them, all from the Pats weren't in the proper range.

Unless of course, the Pats followed the rules by having them at the minimum psi, but the Colts over inflated their balls which then the psi dropped to an acceptable level under the temperature conditions. Hmm, the cause for deflategate is either on the refs, temperature, or the Colts

Quote:
Differences with the balls used by the Colts could easily be explained by different preparation procedures, or even longer waits between preparation and the referee check. Especially if the the Colts QB, Luck, likes higher initial ball pressure — as has been reported.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #1217
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting...and there won't be total agreement as some say the balls can't deflate buy that much during a game.

Deflategate: The Science Behind the New England Patriots Scandal

Definitely, there are variables and the QB's prefer the footballs a certain way.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Very interesting...and there won't be total agreement as some say the balls can't deflate buy that much during a game.

Deflategate: The Science Behind the New England Patriots Scandal

Definitely, there are variables and the QB's prefer the footballs a certain way.
Meanwhile, Warren Sharp argues: 'The New England Patriots Prevention of Fumbles is Nearly Impossible' (suggesting this may have been going on since 2007):
The 2014 Patriots were just the 3rd team in the last 25 years to never have lost a fumble at home! The biggest difference between the Patriots and the other 2 teams who did it was that New England ran between 150 and 200 MORE plays this year than those teams did in the years they had zero home fumbles, making the Patriots stand alone in this unique statistic.
NFL: 2014 Season
Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #1219
Give me a forum ...

NFL: 2014 Season

If you had (or have) a chance to see last night's (Jan. 27) "The Late Late Show" on CBS, hosted by Regis, you will hear David Letterman's suggestion for solving the football air pressure "scandal": use a brick.

He also answers the ubiquitous retirement question, "What will you DO".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #1220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
If you had (or have) a chance to see last night's (Jan. 27) "The Late Late Show" on CBS, hosted by Regis, you will hear David Letterman's suggestion for solving the football air pressure "scandal": use a brick.

He also answers the ubiquitous retirement question, "What will you DO".
Funny how Letterman was questioning the whereabouts about the future host of The Late Late Show.

The latest on the "scandal" is a Patriots locker room attendant is a person of interest who is shown on a video tape taking all the balls into a bathroom and disappeared from the video for about 90 seconds. I think deflategate is turning into "taking a leak gate" .

Personally, I don't think 90 seconds is enough time, I don't think the attendant did anything to the footballs. If there was tampering, that was don't elsewhere. He probably just had to take a leak. and didn't want the footballs out of his possession.

Quote:
The unnamed attendant already has been interviewed by league investigators, according to the report, which emerged Monday afternoon. Fox Sports cited unnamed sources saying the NFL is "trying to determine whether any wrongdoing by this individual occurred" and reported that there is surveillance video showing the attendant taking the footballs from the officials' locker room into another room at Gillette Stadium before bringing them to the field.
Patriots locker room attendant a 'person of interest' in Deflate-Gate saga - Newsday