Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #1461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Favre's incident was an off the field issue. That's applws and oranges when compared to an issue that compromises the integrity of the game of football.
I agree completely. Even the Ray Rice situation isn't as severe as Brady's as far as football is concerned. Rice should be prosecuted and hopefully convicted for what he did but it has nothing to do with football. I don't think a player should be fined or suspended for off the field things. Any time he misses for court/jail should be unpaid but that's as far as it should go. What Brady(Pats) did was similar to taking PEDs. It was cheating and gave them an unfair advantage. The penalty for that has to be severe so it doesn't happen again.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #1462
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
...DW is not a Supermodel.
Sorry to hear about the wife.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #1463
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You missed the point. The rumor, that Blount would not deny, is that his walking off the field without permission was orchestrated so he could get his release and that he had already worked out a contract with NE in advance.
Respectfully, I really do think you're now entering the realm of conspiracy theorists. It dampens the rest of your well-thought-out comments.

Jus' sayin'

I mean, there was the rumor that Carroll didn't want Lynch to have a hand in the winning touchdown because he'd be MVP and his personal character might taint the NFL (more than it already is).

But that's rubbish as well. (Isn't it?)
Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #1464

The rumor about Lynch is ridiculous. Blount was specifically asked during a press conference about the whole thing and he shrugged his shoulders, chuckled and said something like "you'll never know" or "I'm not gonna answer that". I cant remember his exact words but if you saw the interview, you wouldve been convinced that its either true or Blount wanted people to think it was true to make it look like he outsmarted everyone. Either way, he definitely didnt deny it.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #1465

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Goodell is going to personally sit in and decide on the appeal by Brady. Let's see, between saving Brady's or Goodell's own reputation, my bet is Goodell will look out for his own skin.

If after the appeal, Brady escapes unscathed his new nickname should be Houdini.
I think you're correct. He wants to rule on the appeal because he can't afford another decision overturned by an independent arbitrator. I know that the CBA gives him the authority to hear the appeal but if he feels strongly about the evidence presented in the Wells report he should have recused himself as demanded by the NFLPA.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #1466
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I do not think that this will keep him out of the HOF..... someone said that he might not get in with the first vote (which he would have without this)... but he should get in on the second....

Heck, I think Pete Rose should be in the HOF.... he WAS one of the best baseball players of all time... and his 'crime' was not related to his play... yes, it was when he was a coach... but still....

I agree Texas. Rose's candidacy was for playing, certainly not coaching. If he had never coached or coached after he was elected into Hall he would be there. And we would need a separate thread for all the transgressions past baseball HOF's have committed. Of course he was a pr!ck, refused to acknowledge anything, lied, stonewalled, etc. So my tear hanky is completely dry and unsoiled over the matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #1467
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I agree Texas. Rose's candidacy was for playing, certainly not coaching. If he had never coached or coached after he was elected into Hall he would be there. And we would need a separate thread for all the transgressions past baseball HOF's have committed. Of course he was a pr!ck, refused to acknowledge anything, lied, stonewalled, etc. So my tear hanky is completely dry and unsoiled over the matter.

+1, I really enjoyed watching him play, but he definitely was no choirboy.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #1468

Quote:
...Blount was specifically asked during a press conference about the whole thing and he shrugged his shoulders, chuckled and said something like "you'll never know" or "I'm not gonna answer that". I cant remember his exact words but if you saw the interview, you wouldve been convinced that its either true or Blount wanted people to think it was true to make it look like he outsmarted everyone. Either way, he definitely didnt deny it.
I wasn't convinced that the rumor was true or that Blount wanted people to think it was true. He wasn't under any obligation to admit or deny. I think he just wanted to playfully jerk the press around (which he succeeded in doing).
Old 05-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #1469
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The reason people hate the Pats and keep "jaw flapping" is because they keep cheating. How many times do they have to be fined , penalized and have people suspended before the Patriot fanboys just admit it to themselves?

The Steelers didn't want Blount anymore anyway. Hes been a trouble maker since college where he was suspended more than once and he was a trouble maker for the Steelers also. I'm sure the Steelers dont care about what he did at all. They wanted him gone. The point is that there is a rule against what The Pats and Blount allegedly did but the Pats dont care about rules. I personally watched the press conference where Blount was asked about agreeing to sign with NE before walking out on the Steelers and he looked guilty as hell. Just like Brady did when he was asked if he lied and he said "I dont think so".
It's still not clear to me whether or not you're a Patriots fan? Could you tell us again, I hear the 100th time's a charm...and then give it a rest maybe.

You do realize you're not likely to change anyone's mind, and we surely know we're not going to convince you otherwise. We can live with that, can you?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #1470
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Could you tell us again, I hear the 100th time's a charm...and then give it a rest maybe.

Well, it does help answer that never-ending retirement question: "What will you DO all day?"

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #1471
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Well, it does help answer that never-ending retirement question: "What will you DO all day?"
Well if one needs some entertainment and a laugh, this thread is for you
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #1472
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Well if one needs some entertainment and a laugh, this thread is for you

True. My Mom told us they eventually turn into butter.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #1473

Quote:
It's still not clear to me whether or not you're a Patriots fan? Could you tell us again, I hear the 100th time's a charm...and then give it a rest maybe.

You do realize you're not likely to change anyone's mind, and we surely know we're not going to convince you otherwise. We can live with that, can you?
You're under no obligation to read anything I write.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #1474
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You're under no obligation to read anything I write.
Pretty hard to avoid after 99 posts with the same POV...
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #1475
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

Yea, that is kinda my point... they do not put you in the HOF for being a nice guy... they put you in for being a great player with great stats...

I could care less if he lied, beat his wife, etc. etc... nobody has said anything about him cheating on the field... he is not one of the PED takers that will go into the hall without much questions... heck, I bet A Rod will get in at some point and time... he took drugs for years... lied about it and is still playing... which is the bigger 'crime'....

I am not crying over it either... I just think some of the double standards out there are laughable....

And back to topic.... Brady will get in... like others have said, his mistake is very small.... and should not sully his career (much)....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #1476

A-Rod's taking PEDs and lying about it is pretty much the same thing that Rafael Palmeiro and Roger Clemons did and it doesn't look like they are getting into the HOF because of it. Of course neither of them came back and played afterwards so A-Rod may be different.

I don't think there's any way this will keep Brady out of the HOF and I don't believe it should.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:10 PM   #1477

Quote:
Pretty hard to avoid after 99 posts with the same POV...
I have the uncomfortable feeling that you are not really Midpack. The Midpack that I recall would have included a four-color graph with the above post.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #1478
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A-Rod's taking PEDs and lying about it is pretty much the same thing that Rafael Palmeiro and Roger Clemons did and it doesn't look like they are getting into the HOF because of it. Of course neither of them came back and played afterwards so A-Rod may be different.

I don't think there's any way this will keep Brady out of the HOF and I don't believe it should.

Did not know Palmeiro's stats... probably should be in but looks like he never will make it.. his stats are good, but not 'the best'... I just looked at the 2014 HOF voting and see a good number of hitters that have better stats that did not get in....

Clemons might still make it... his stats are much better compared with the competition.... but, I can see him getting in as 2014 was only his second year on the ballot... still have many years to get there...

But looking at these two maybe A Rod will not be voted in.... I did see McQuire and Sosa way down the voting list...

2015 BBWAA Hall of Fame Ballot | Baseball Hall of Fame
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yea, that is kinda my point... they do not put you in the HOF for being a nice guy... they put you in for being a great player with great stats.......
Football HOF. Baseball HOF. Don't get me started on the Boxing HOF (or the "integrity" today of boxing--which once, in the early 20th century, competed only with baseball as America's favorite sport). Lots of "not-so-nice" guys get inducted there. Heck, they can't even agree on what is the official boxing HOF.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #1480
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I have the uncomfortable feeling that you are not really Midpack. The Midpack that I recall would have included a four-color graph with the above post.
It is hard to create a four-color graph of 99 posts that have the same POV, but if anyone can do it, I'm betting on Midpack! That is, unless betting on Midpack would jepoardize being named to the early-retirement.org HOF.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote