Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
That's one of the reasons why I refrain from making predictions before the season starts. Rex is an overrated loud mouth that does not back it up consistently on the field.
I've always believed that, but he's never had much talent on his team. Now he does and he still sucks. There's no way a team with as much talent as Buffalo has should've lost at home to the Giants.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I've always believed that, but he's never had much talent on his team. Now he does and he still sucks. There's no way a team with as much talent as Buffalo has should've lost at home to the Giants.
With the talented team he has he should definitely be competing with the Patriots for the division and he may still do so but only if he starts holding his players accountable for their lack of discipline by committing stupid penalties (13 unsportsmanlike in 4 games) instead of empowering them by claiming "I’ll take a team that will fight over a team that won’t, that’ll sit back and take it."
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Ryan brothers are two of the worst coaches in NFL history. I seriously wonder how they still have jobs. I looked up Rob Ryan's defenses once. He's been the Defensive coordinator for Oakland, Cleveland, Dallas and now New Orleans. His defensive rankings are in the bottom half of the league every year...then he gets fired and someone else hires him.
Certainly not a football fan compared to others on this thread, but "yeah, that". Have never been impressed with either.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

I recall a few years ago the Pats staged a last minute comeback and the Saints snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and the camera cut over to a thoroughly disgusted and embarrassed Rob Ryan. Priceless.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #245

Seattle does not look good. It took a bad call by the officials for them to beat the Lions at home.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:29 AM   #246

Quote:
Seattle does not look good. It took a bad call by the officials for them to beat the Lions at home.
They traded a great center for a great TE but then fail to throw the ball to the great TE and cant run like they used to be able to because they no longer have a great center and the great TE cant block. Another great call by Pete Carroll.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Neither team looked very good IMO, but I sure thought the Lions were going to pull it out in the final minutes. Tough break. At least they can claim that they have the unenviable position of having the worse record in the NFL at 0 and 4 .
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, the Lions got jobbed by the refs again? I read about the bad call, but the articles I read didn't have a video link to the actual play .
Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, the Lions got jobbed by the refs again? I read about the bad call, but the articles I read didn't have a video link to the actual play .
It was the wrong call but in my opinion people are making way too big a deal of it. No flag being thrown had no bearing on the result of the play. Refs could call holding on almost every play but they rarely call it if it is on the back side of the play and the holding doesnt give the RB an advantage.

Do we really want flags thrown every single time there's a penalty? The game would take 6 hours.

In this particular play, the Seattle defender batted the ball out of the back of the end zone which is illegal but there was not a Lion player within 6 yards of him and the ball bounced right up into his arms. The Seattle player easily couldve just grabbed the ball with nobody to stop him but he batted out if the end zone instead most likely because he didnt know the rule.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #250
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It was the wrong call but in my opinion people are making way too big a deal of it. No flag being thrown had no bearing on the result of the play. Refs could call holding on almost every play but they rarely call it if it is on the back side of the play and the holding doesnt give the RB an advantage.

Do we really want flags thrown every single time there's a penalty? The game would take 6 hours.

In this particular play, the Seattle defender batted the ball out of the back of the end zone which is illegal but there was not a Lion player within 6 yards of him and the ball bounced right up into his arms. The Seattle player easily couldve just grabbed the ball with nobody to stop him but he batted out if the end zone instead most likely because he didnt know the rule.
And the ref was standing on the end line right behind the Seattle player who batted it out of bounds. The ref blew it. Lions definitely got jobbed. Note, I'm a bears fan so I wasn't exactly pulling for the Lions to win.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
NFL Power Rankings: Week 5
Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #251

NFL Power Rankings: Week 5

An ugly, unconvincing win, but I'll take it. CIN next week is gonna be tough too.
NFL Power Rankings: Week 5 (Top 25)
  1. GB
  2. NE
  3. CIN
  4. DEN
  5. ATL
  6. ARI
  7. CAR
  8. SEA
  9. MYJ
  10. BUF
  11. MIN
  12. STL
  13. PIT
  14. IND
  15. NYG
  16. SD
  17. KC
  18. DAL
  19. OAK
  20. WAS
  21. BAL
  22. PHI
  23. TEN
  24. DET
  25. JAX
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #252

Denver's offense is anemic. They are ranked 26th in the league. I dont know how they could be the 4th best team in the league even though the defense is really good. Also don't believe for a second that the Jets are the 9th best team. I might move Oakland up a bit also. They have good young players at the skill offensive skill positions (hard to believe that came out of my mouth)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It's my understanding that a penalty would have allowed the Lions to retain possession, which may very well have changed the outcome.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
It's my understanding that a penalty would have allowed the Lions to retain possession, which may very well have changed the outcome.
That's correct. What I'm saying is that there are all kinds of penalties that aren't called because the illegal act itself that could've been penalized didn't affect the play. A lot of times a running back makes a long run but the only reason he was able to do it was because an offensive lineman held the defensive lineman that would've tackled the running back. A flag is thrown and the long run is nullified.

There are lots of times when an offensive lineman holds a defensive lineman but the running back went the other way and it had no effect on the play. Sometimes they throw a flag and sometimes they dont.

In this case, if the guy hadn't batted the ball out of bounds he almost certainly would've just grabbed the ball and it would've been Seattle's ball anyway. There was no Lion that had any chance to recover the fumble so the illegal act of batting the ball didn't change anything. So, yes, a flag could've been thrown but like I said earlier if you watch every play closely a flag can be thrown on almost every play. Someone is always holding someone.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Denver's offense is anemic. They are ranked 26th in the league. I dont know how they could be the 4th best team in the league even though the defense is really good. Also don't believe for a second that the Jets are the 9th best team. I might move Oakland up a bit also. They have good young players at the skill offensive skill positions (hard to believe that came out of my mouth)
Denver is probably the worst of the 6 undefeated teams. I'd rank them 6th. Oakland lost to the Bears, they should be ranked 32nd
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I cringed when reading about how the Bears miss Cutler with Claussen starting while Cutler is out. True, Claussen is not any good. But the Bears aren't any good with Cutler either. I'm very tempted to not even watch any of the game on Sunday since the Bears are a total yawn. At least they already started backing up the truck trading away Allen and Bostic.
You missed a very entertaining game.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #257

News flash!!!

Cowboys LB - Sean Lee is hurt!
Old 10-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You missed a very entertaining game.
I actually watched the game. The diehard Bears fan in me won out. When Cutler threw the interception, I screamed, "Here we #@!* go again!". But after the winning field goal, I said, "The season is not over yet...well, not officially." .
Old 10-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

No doubt we could rerun every play in every game and find lots of penalties that were not called.

The reality is that if winning a game means having a perfect last 2 minutes, the team has a problem and it's not the refs. Championship teams find a way to win all game long, and don't count on last second miracle plays.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

In this case, if the guy hadn't batted the ball out of bounds he almost certainly would've just grabbed the ball and it would've been Seattle's ball anyway. There was no Lion that had any chance to recover the fumble so the illegal act of batting the ball didn't change anything. So, yes, a flag could've been thrown but like I said earlier if you watch every play closely a flag can be thrown on almost every play. Someone is always holding someone.
Finally did see the replay of that play. The refs sure did blow the call if you think of the play similar to if a ball is fumbled then batted out of bounds the team with the last possession keeps the ball. Seems like an obvious call unlike the Dez Bryant catch or no catch during the playoffs last year.