Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

True, "real possibilities" may have been too strong and I think the likelihood is probably 2% or less but it would be fun to see it happen again.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it wouldve happened again but the Colts decided to bench Manning the last 2 games to rest him for the playoffs....then they lost in the playoffs anyway. That was one of the stupidest football decisions in a long time.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #363
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
That was one of the stupidest football decisions in a long time.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #364

LOL...I said ONE of the stupidest. We all know what THE stupidest decision was.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LOL...I said ONE of the stupidest. We all know what THE stupidest decision was.

Not the significance of the Super Bowl game, but the 1978 "Miracle at the Meadowlands" was the stupidest decision of all time. They were rolling the credits on screen as the game "was over"....And then it wasnt...

http://youtu.be/xlmUw2zcc8Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No way Denver is going undefeated. The offense is too impotent.

GB, Pats and Carolina each seem to be real possibilities to me.
Quote:
True, "real possibilities" may have been too strong and I think the likelihood is probably 2% or less but it would be fun to see it happen again.
I hope GB and Carolina go undefeated, though they play each other Nov 8th so can't happen.

I can't relive the Patriots 2007-08 19-1 season ending again - much too painful.

Going to work the next morning was really hard to take. Most people tried to be diplomatic, but they couldn't do it without grinning, and I couldn't blame them...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #367

Quote:
Seriously doubt it will happen but it would be great to see, again. IMO, if someone did it "these days", (win all regular and post season games and SB) I think they would have to be given the undefeated pro football crown since they would need to win 2 more games than Miami did in 72 to accomplish the feat.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Seriously doubt it will happen but it would be great to see, again. IMO, if someone did it "these days", (win all regular and post season games and SB) I think they would have to be given the undefeated pro football crown since they would need to win 2 more games than Miami did in 72 to accomplish the feat.
I get sick of theose guys on the '72 Dolphins always talking it up and celebrating when there are no undefeateds left. I want someone to do it while many of them are still alive to see it, but please, Lord, do NOT let it be the Brady-Belichick Patriots. Pretty please?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
, but please, Lord, do NOT let it be the Brady-Belichick Patriots. Pretty please?
+1, but it could happen the way they are playing.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #370

This is not a Patriot hater post, I promise.

I've watched a good portion of most of their games and they dont look all that unbeatable to me. The defense is avg. The offense seems to be unstoppable based on the fact that nobody has stopped them ...but its like they run 4 plays over and over and I cant understand why teams cant stop that. It must just be the execution is flawless. Brady throws less than 5 yards almost all the time and then mixes in 4-5 throws to Gronk 15 yards down field, but nobody can stop it. Hes just too accurate I guess. I will say that Dion Lewis has made a huge impact.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #371
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is not a Patriot hater post, I promise.

I've watched a good portion of most of their games and they dont look all that unbeatable to me. The defense is avg. The offense seems to be unstoppable based on the fact that nobody has stopped them ...but its like they run 4 plays over and over and I cant understand why teams cant stop that. It must just be the execution is flawless. Brady throws less than 5 yards almost all the time and then mixes in 4-5 throws to Gronk 15 yards down field, but nobody can stop it. Hes just too accurate I guess. I will say that Dion Lewis has made a huge impact.
This may surprise you, but they certainly don't look unbeatable to me either, and I'm a Pats fan. They've looked great is some games, not so much in other games. They were lucky to beat the Steelers in game one. Their defense runs hot and cold, and they throw too often in some games instead of mixing it up (not sure how they get away with it frankly) - I'm surprised Brady doesn't get picked more when they call pass after pass, with the tiny 'windows' Brady throws into sometimes. And if something happens to Edelman and/or Gronk...

I know the Pats secret weapon like most Pats fans, but we can't tell you, and you don't hear the talking heads mention it very often either. Nothing that anyone could do to stop it anyway though...

Old 10-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #372

As a Pats fan I hope they don't go undefeated. I'll take a 14-2 regular season record and an another SB ring. The undefeated season in 2007 took so much out of them physically and mentally that after dominating in the regular season they were not as dominant in the playoffs and lost the SB. I see them possibly losing in Denver and at the Jets.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #373

I think the PATS look better than GB. They seem unstoppable on offense with the second most yards of any team so far this year--GB is 23rd in offense. Both teams have inconsistent defenses. The season isn't even half over but it seems like NE has to be the favorite to win it all right now.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think the PATS look better than GB. They seem unstoppable on offense with the second most yards of any team so far this year--GB is 23rd in offense. Both teams have inconsistent defenses. The season isn't even half over but it seems like NE has to be the favorite to win it all right now.
Even though I'm a Pats and Brady fan, if I had to choose between Brady and Rodgers, I'd take Rodgers. But QB's aren't the whole story, so I hope you're right.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Even though I'm a Pats and Brady fan, if I had to choose between Brady and Rodgers, I'd take Rodgers. But QB's aren't the whole story, so I hope you're right.
Up until a couple years ago i'd take Manning over any other quarterback but now I would also take Rodgers. Rodgers and Brady are the best two and are very equal except that Rodgers can run quite well if needed and Brady can't.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #376

If it was for one game its a toss up between Brady and Rodgers. I'd probably lean towards Rodgers just because of mobility. If its from now on, obviously you have to take Rodgers.

Manning was great but now hes terrible. It hurts to watch such a great player not know when its time to retire. Hes ranked 31st in QB rating.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #377

Quote:
If it was for one game its a toss up between Brady and Rodgers. I'd probably lean towards Rodgers just because of mobility. If its from now on, obviously you have to take Rodgers.

Manning was great but now hes terrible. It hurts to watch such a great player not know when its time to retire. Hes ranked 31st in QB rating.
In Manning's defense, he had one of the best seasons of any quarterback ever just 2 years ago and he wasn't bad last year. How was he or anyone else supposed to know he would drop off so much so quickly. If he continues the rest of the season like he's started then I would agree he should not come back for another season.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Even at Rodgers age, Brady wasn't as versatile. When he's on, fortunately often (but not always) for Pats fans, Brady is as good a passer as I've ever seen IMO. We need someone to come along with Manning's football brain/reading defenses, Brady's passing & drive and Rodgers versatility - but now I'm talking nonsense (again).

Old 10-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #379

Maybe I'm biased but for one game I'll take Brady. Let's not forget that in last year's super bowl against Seattle who had the best defense in the league he went 14-16 with 2 TDs in the fourth quarter and brought the team back from a 10 point deficit for the first time ever in SB history. Last week with the Pats down 20-16 in the fourth quarter against the Jets who has the number one defense in the league this year he went 13-15 with a 150 yards and two TDs in the fourth quarter.

BTW so far this year Brady has better stats than Rodgers.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #380
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it wouldve happened again but the Colts decided to bench Manning the last 2 games to rest him for the playoffs....then they lost in the playoffs anyway. That was one of the stupidest football decisions in a long time.
I remember watching that game. Reading the expressions of the Colts' players were "You gotta be kidding!" then didn't the very next play the backup fumbled the ball for a TD return?