Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I was hoping that he would screw up the kick like Crosby did against the Lions today. But the Evil Empire always has clutch kickers, and they kick me in the gut while they are kicking the football.

What irritates me is that Brady will be made the hero for driving (against a soft defense) into long FG position on the last possession. The deification of Brady by the sports media will continue....
I was ecstatic when that ball went through the uprights.

We lose Dion Lewis last week for the season, we lose 3 starters on the offensive line, our best linebacker Collins is out with an illness for the second week in a row and we lose our number one receiver Edelman in the first quarter but we continue to win because we have Brady and Belichick the best tandem ever.

Go Pats.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 04:48 AM   #442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Peyton Manning is embarrassing himself. He sucks so bad it's hard to fathom. He led the NFL in INTs before today and then threw 4 more today. He broke the all time passing record. Time to ride off into the sunset.
I am reminded of Johnny U and Brett Favre...but I hope I'm wrong for Peyton's sake. It would not surprise me if Peyton turns out to be a better coach than player, why not start now?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:01 AM   #443
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Yes it was (a lot of luck), especially after Brady threw that late goal line interception. Lucky they have Gostkowski to pull Brady's A** out of the fire.

Even so, it was a great game.
Quote:
What irritates me is that Brady will be made the hero for driving (against a soft defense) into long FG position on the last possession. The deification of Brady by the sports media will continue....
Brady had quite a few bad throws, and the Pats were pitiful in the 2nd quarter. Again, they were very fortunate to win that one, I don't see any Brady deification happening outside New England (like any biased hometown crowd). Gostkowski won't have to buy a drink anytime soon though, awesome.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #444

Judging from Sunday's games, I see the Bears having no problem beating Denver next week.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #445
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Judging from Sunday's games, I see the Bears having no problem beating Denver next week.
Who would have thunk that Cutler and the Bears actually look good. With Langford, Matt Forte could be the next Wally Pipp.

I think against Denver, the question is which Peyton will show up, the battered one or the one that cheats father time.

Update: Good chance Manning may not even play against the Bears. He battling plantar fasciitis.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I am reminded of Johnny U and Brett Favre...but I hope I'm wrong for Peyton's sake. It would not surprise me if Peyton turns out to be a better coach than player, why not start now?
Guys like Manning just about never become coaches. They made way too much money during their careers to be interested. Its normally the back up QBs, and other position players (TEs, LBs) that aren't mega rich when they retire.

I'm a little too young to remember Johnny U, but I wouldn't say Favre embarrassed himself on the way out. He played fairly well to the end but did definitely stay too long.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #447
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Guys like Manning just about never become coaches. They made way too much money during their careers to be interested. Its normally the back up QBs, and other position players (TEs, LBs) that aren't mega rich when they retire.

I'm a little too young to remember Johnny U, but I wouldn't say Favre embarrassed himself on the way out. He played fairly well to the end but did definitely stay too long.

Favre had arguably his best season ever the year before he retired, and then got begged and bribed for an extra season he wasn't quite prepared for. Got beat to a pulp from bad OLine. His last game he played he wasn't even supposed to play and dressed out at last second played and led Vikings to opening TD score drive. Then a few series later got decked on the frozen college field, knocked out career over.
I have a very unique prospective of Johnny U. He was never a Colt to me. My first memories of NFL was him being a Charger that one year.
That pitiful half season rates up there with Willie Mays stumbling in the outfield and Ali fighting Holmes.
Manning is falling victim to the mind is willing, but the body parts just aren't listening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Favre was ready to call it career after he got roughed up in that playoff game against the Saints. The game he had that bad ankle sprain and gutted the game out but had that costly interception near the end.

For Manning, I wonder if next year might Elway ask him to consider being a backup. Gotta give Manning credit for being the good soldier since Elway got rid of a bunch of the coaches and the offense is no longer Manning's system.

I remember watching on TV Johnny U and Bart Starr when I was a kid and they defined what is a 2 minute comeback.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #449

I cant imagine Manning ever being a backup. Not in a million years. Why would he? He's done it all already. If I was Elway I would trade for Brees in the off season. New Orleans is terrible and Brees is their bargaining chip to start rebuilding. Unless Osweiler looks really good in practice and they believe he is for real, but with Denver's defense and WR's, I wouldnt wait around for Osweiler to get some experience. Denver is ready to win now. Not 3 years from now.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #450
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I cant imagine Manning ever being a backup. Not in a million years. Why would he? He's done it all already. If I was Elway I would trade for Brees in the off season. New Orleans is terrible and Brees is their bargaining chip to start rebuilding. Unless Osweiler looks really good in practice and they believe he is for real, but with Denver's defense and WR's, I wouldnt wait around for Osweiler to get some experience. Denver is ready to win now. Not 3 years from now.

Plus, we all know Payton likes his money. Ego issues aside, backup quarterback equal backup QB pay....Not gonna happen! Reading between the lines of various articles, I imagine he has never had any intentions of playing beyond this year. He is just too beat up. He had a few issues he already took into the season that he was just trying to overcome one more year.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #451

Whether its because of age or injury (or most likely both), it doesnt matter. The fact is that Manning is terrible. If his name wasn't Manning he wouldve been benched 5 games ago. Hes 31st out of 32 listed QBs. He leads the NFL in INTS. Hes 26th in yards per attempt because his arm strength is gone. I always liked Manning. Hes got a big ego but hes always been a class act....but its over.
I hated how Marino stayed too long, but this is just pathetic. I really dislike Brady and the Pats but I still hope Brady doesnt stay past the point that he is detrimental to the team. As a serious football fan, it just makes me sad.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #452
Give me a forum ...

I know PM wanted another SB ring, but it's not gonna happen. Take the ring and the records, and leave with dignity, and while still upright!

Brady still performs at a high level, but I hope he retires "on top", as it were.

Haven't been paying much attention, but what happened to GB/Rodgers?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #453
Give me a forum ...

Well it is just released he has a torn planter fascia in left foot. He already had numb finger tips, in addition to rib problems. The old body is breaking down.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #454
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Bears are only 1 win away from my season prediction - 5 wins.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I know PM wanted another SB ring, but it's not gonna happen. Take the ring and the records, and leave with dignity, and while still upright!

Brady still performs at a high level, but I hope he retires "on top", as it were.

Haven't been paying much attention, but what happened to GB/Rodgers?
The ESPN analysts I listened to said that GBs WR's cant beat man to man coverage and once everyone saw Denver beat GB that way, everyone is playing man to man on them. Losing to Denver and Carolina was understandable, but if Detroit's horrific defense can stop them, they have big problems. Detroit hadnt beat GB in GB since the early 90's. Detroit's GM played for the Lions the last time Detroit beat GB in Lambeau.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #456
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought with his love of and knowledge of the game, along with his Dad's coaching example, he might want to coach. But I read a couple articles on the outlook for Peyton as a coach, and other than maybe Vols QB coach, all the pundits seem to agree with you.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I thought with his love of and knowledge of the game, along with his Dad's coaching example, he might want to coach. But I read a couple articles on the outlook for Peyton as a coach, and other than maybe Vols QB coach, all the pundits seem to agree with you.
I definitely see the possibility of him being a top color commentator just like Troy Aikman.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #458
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I was ecstatic when that ball went through the uprights.

We lose Dion Lewis last week for the season, we lose 3 starters on the offensive line, our best linebacker Collins is out with an illness for the second week in a row and we lose our number one receiver Edelman in the first quarter but we continue to win because we have Brady and Belichick the best tandem ever.

Go Pats.
Pat's have the best Coach, the best Quarterback and the best Kicker in the league, perhaps of all time. (I say as I picked myself up off the floor after watching that ending last night.)

But I need them to lose at least one game during the regular season before entering the playoffs. 2007 was an agony with each Sunday becoming increasingly anxiety provoking. Too much pressure.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #459
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have no use for the '72 Dolphins partying every time there are no more unbeatens.

I want them to see it happen while most of them are still alive.
They'd best hurry then. That was '72, most of those guys are in or pushing their 70s. Earl Morrall is already dead. Anyway, compared to what they were doing in '72, I wouldn't call what they do now "partying". Maybe celebrating.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
The Bears are only 1 win away from my season prediction - 5 wins.
If they only win one more game this season, I think they have a shot at taking down the Packers on Thanksgiving. The Bears ball controlled much of the first game which is a good strategy. The Packers have lost 3 in a row and the Bears won 2 in a row.

But then again, habit is that the Packers seem to get well after playing the Bears, plus, remember Cutler saves his worse games for the Packers.