Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2015, 08:11 AM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
It was very unsettling to see Gronk writhing on the field when his injury occurred. That was worse (in my mind) than the overall game defeat by Denver.
Absolutely, however from stories I found this morning it sounds like the injury is not as bad as it looked during the game.

Was it me or did it seem like the Pats attempted more than typical long pass plays, especially on third and long? I'm more used to them using short pass plays to get a first rather than shooting for the moon, but perhaps it was due to what the defense was giving them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #522
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1, on all counts. They didn't play very well in the second half, other than Gostkowski. The Pats have lost so many players to injury now, it would be a miracle if this is a memorable year in the end.
I think that the fact that the game was so close despite all of the Pat's injuries shows what an extraordinary team they are. The OT could've gone either way. Of course, somebody had to lose.....
Old 11-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #523
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Absolutely, however from stories I found this morning it sounds like the injury is not as bad as it looked during the game.

Was it me or did it seem like the Pats attempted more than typical long pass plays, especially on third and long? I'm more used to them using short pass plays to get a first rather than shooting for the moon, but perhaps it was due to what the defense was giving them.
Yeah, locally they're saying he might even play next week (OMG)

We also thought the long moon shots were unusual....perhaps hoping for an interference call?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #524
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I think that the fact that the game was so close despite all of the Pat's injuries shows what an extraordinary team they are. The OT could've gone either way. Of course, somebody had to lose.....
When the Broncos were up by 3 with about 90 seconds left I was thinking, the Broncos should have tried to take more time off the clock. The Pats are going to win in regulation or the game is going to OT. Brady has done that so many times in the past.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #525
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

That's what happens when you dont have Edelman, Amendola (or Welker from yrs past). Those guys are the only reason those 2 yard passes work every play even though everyone in the stadium knows they are coming.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
When the Broncos were up by 3 with about 90 seconds left I was thinking, the Broncos should have tried to take more time off the clock. The Pats are going to win in regulation or the game is going to OT. Brady has done that so many times in the past.
I was screaming at the TV for Denver to run the ball. They had first and goal from the 7 yd line with about 1:30 left. Then there was the holding call in the end zone and they had first and goal from the 3. There was still about a minute left and they still didnt run. There was no reason to leave Brady more than 20 seconds on the clock. That was horrible play calling.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #527
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I was screaming at the TV for Denver to run the ball. ....
HEY!!! Whose side are you on?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #528
Give me a forum ...

Texans with the 4 game streak - looking for that card...
Old 11-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #529

Quote:
HEY!!! Whose side are you on?
You ask that like you already know the answer
Old 11-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #530
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, at least he wasn't Wally Pipp'ed. It's not like he just got hurt and his replacement was better. Peyton (in hindsight, obviously) should never have come back after the neck injury. Luckily, in a few years everybody will have forgotten about the ignominious end of his career, and will just remember him as a great QB.
I said that before his surgery. Didn't make sense to me at all. I have a similar injury and have discussed options with 3 different neurosurgeons. There's no way I'd put myself at risk like he's done to himself. Half the time I'm afraid to watch the guy take his last ever step.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #531
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tomlin just flat out sucks. That was one of the stupidest times in history to fake a FG in the first quarter of the Pittsburgh / Seattle game. Not too mention the fact that they threw the ball 20 yards down field to a 6'9" 350 pound lineman. Odds are probably 60%+ that he drops it even if hes wide open.
And what about the Bills coaching staff? They failed, just before the 2 minute warning to challenge a call that would have been a completion for a first down, where the receiver "caught" the ball, took three steps with the ball secured, went down with the ball under full control and it only popped out when the ball hit the ground. They called it incomplete. The Bills didn't challenge... and they had to use a challenge later as a desperation ploy, which had no chance of winning, on a 4th down play near the first down marker.

Whoever was in the booth for the Bills watching the replays is a fool, or if that person buzzed down to the head coach to tell him to challenge it, that head coach is a fool for not doing so.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #532
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I said that before his surgery. Didn't make sense to me at all. I have a similar injury and have discussed options with 3 different neurosurgeons. There's no way I'd put myself at risk like he's done to himself. Half the time I'm afraid to watch the guy take his last ever step.
Glad I'm not the only one. After the neck surgery, every time he took a big hit I was afraid he wouldn't get up and become a quadriplegic.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #533

Quote:
+1.

This team showed me more in this loss than the games they won by 3 TDs. With their top 4 offensive players and their top two defensive players out they did not quit and Brady somehow drove down for a tying field goal to send it into overtime. This is a tough team and with the good news on Gronk, Amendola, Hightower and Collins they will be tough to beat in the playoffs.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And what about the Bills coaching staff? They failed, just before the 2 minute warning to challenge a call that would have been a completion for a first down, where the receiver "caught" the ball, took three steps with the ball secured, went down with the ball under full control and it only popped out when the ball hit the ground. They called it incomplete. The Bills didn't challenge... and they had to use a challenge later as a desperation ploy, which had no chance of winning, on a 4th down play near the first down marker.
+1. I'm not a Bills fan and I dislike Rex Ryan but I was upset of the incompetence of this coaching staff.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
+1. I'm not a Bills fan and I dislike Rex Ryan but I was upset of the incompetence of this coaching staff.
That was just sad, and I was hoping Bills would lose! It's one thing get beat but beating yourself is optional.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #536

I feel like a broken record every week...but...
Rex Ryan sucks and
Atlanta lost again! They went from 5-0 to 6-5 and still have to play Carolina twice and a resurgent TB team. I dont know if a team has ever started 5-0 and not made the playoffs but its going to happen this year. Whats worse is they have suffered no major injuries.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #537
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I feel like a broken record every week...but...
Rex Ryan sucks and
Atlanta lost again! They went from 5-0 to 6-5 and still have to play Carolina twice and a resurgent TB team. I dont know if a team has ever started 5-0 and not made the playoffs but its going to happen this year. Whats worse is they have suffered no major injuries.
I believe the Broncos once were 6-0 and didn't make the playoffs.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #538
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It may be fanboy heresy, but the 'undefeated season' seems like more of a curse/distraction/added pressure than it's worth to me. Now we don't have to talk about that...good by me.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #539
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It may be fanboy heresy, but the 'undefeated season' seems like more of a curse/distraction/added pressure than it's worth to me. Now we don't have to talk about that...good by me.
No problem losing while trying. I think that's a lot better than taking a dive like the Colts did under Caldwell.

Such a rare situation to have a legit chance.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #540
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, somebody did. How sweet it was!

Nice to see rookie Osweiler have a bit of success. The rookie status made it a fun game to watch for someone with no dog in the fight.