NFL: 2015 Season

I did find this on funtrivia.com when googling the question of dual champions in same city

Here's by state:

2004 - New England Patriots & Boston Red Sox
2003 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers & Florida Marlins
1989 - San Francisco 49'ers & Oakland A's

The only other city wins for the Superbowl and World Series were Pittsburgh in 1979, and then the NY Jets and NY Mets in 1969.

I did find this on funtrivia.com when googling the question of dual champions in same city

Here's by state:

The only other city wins for the Superbowl and World Series were Pittsburgh in 1979, and then the NY Jets and NY Mets in 1969.

NY has an unfair advantage due to having multiple teams in each sport so if we dont count them in the same City Champs, that leaves Pittsburgh and Boston as the only dual City Football/Baseball Champs. I know the Patriots dont play in Boston, but close enough. Lots of teams dont play in the actual big city they represent. Tampa Bay is nowhere near the Florida (Miami) Marlins so definitely not the same city. SF and Oakland are very close but they also both have their own teams in both sports so I dont think you can count them in same city champs either.

If you include basketball, there may be some more. I know the Mavericks won the NBA Championship the same year the Texas Rangers were 1 strike away from winning the WS, so they were close. Im sure there are others.

Here's by state:

I'll give you 1989, because even though Oakland and San Francisco are not the same city, they are in the same metro area/media market (just as I'd include something like an LA team and baseball's Angels, from Anaheim even if they have "Los Angeles" in the name). So if we say "same metro area" instead of same city, I think 1989 qualifies. (The San Jose Sharks would also qualify if they ever win a Stanley Cup.)

But Tampa and Miami are not. I'm sure many Floridians celebrated both, but I'm sure that there is some degree of Tampa-Miami rivalry such as you might see with Boston/NY or SF/LA (though not to the same degree).

Last edited:
Last season Buffalo had the #2 defense in the league and led the league in sacks with 54. Rex Ryan comes in and installs his own defense. They are now 20th in defense and 31st in sacks with 20.

A report has just come out that the Bills will cut DE Mario Williams when the season ends. He is their best pass rusher by far but hasnt transitioned well to Rex's new defense. Maybe because it SUCKS and Mario Williams doesnt know how to play in a horrible system? Rex should cut himself. What a moron.

Im not a Bills fan. Just a football fan who cant figure out why the Ryans keep getting jobs. I couldve taken that job and sipped coffee all day long and Im pretty sure the defense wouldve been better.

utrecht my friend, I don't agree with you often but I do agree with you on this.... Rex Ryan is a horrible coach and has screwed up every team he has coached.

Didn't think it warranted a new thread but has anyone else been disappointed by this year's bowl games? Holy blowouts, Batman!

The only one I saw was CSU vs Nevada and it was good.

At the end of the CSU-NV game, the TV announcers said something like 'it is great to have a competitive game, most of the big games are going blowouts' or something to that effect. It caught my attention, and I clearly remember it. My question is if the announcers who are up on all the teams could expect a bunch of blowouts, couldn't the selection committee also? Or are the other criteria for bowl games of attendance, politics, etc more dominant than selecting teams that are evenly matched?

You may not take the bet but you will be rooting for the Bills. Wouldn't you?

You said you bet I would be rooting for the Bills. I said I wouldn't take the bet because obviously I will be rooting for the Bills.

I really hate that the Steelers will probably be 10-6 and Houston and Washington will be 8-8 or 7-9 and win their divisions. I know thats the way the ball bounces, but its been happening too much in the last few years. Maybe the NFL should follow the NBA and go to Conference records for playoff seeding. Teams still play their own division teams more often, but the final seeding is determined who has the best records in the Conference.

I really hate that the Steelers will probably be 10-6 and Houston and Washington will be 8-8 or 7-9 and win their divisions.

And to make things worse the 8-8 or 7-9 division winner will get home field advantage over the 10-6 wild card team.

At the very least the NFL should give the home field advantage to the team with the better record.

Last edited:
You said you bet I would be rooting for the Bills. I said I wouldn't take the bet because obviously I will be rooting for the Bills.

I really hate that the Steelers will probably be 10-6 and Houston and Washington will be 8-8 or 7-9 and win their divisions. I know thats the way the ball bounces, but its been happening too much in the last few years. Maybe the NFL should follow the NBA and go to Conference records for playoff seeding. Teams still play their own division teams more often, but the final seeding is determined who has the best records in the Conference.

And to make things worse the 8-8 or 7-9 division winner will get home field advantage over the 10-6 wild card team.

At the very least the NFL should give the home field advantage to the team with the better record.

Sorry guys.... but the rules are the rules....

Win your own division and there will be no whining.... :cool:

Also, I do not think there will be any home filed advantage with the Texans....

As an aside, I remember back when Pittsburgh was winning Super Bowls.... the Oilers were one of the better teams but did not get any advantage.... because they did not win their division....

Just looked it up... they were 11-5 and got a wild card slot in 79.... but, all the teams in the playoffs had good records

Of course the rules are the rules. I'm saying its time to change the rules. This will probably be the 3rd time in the past 5 years where a team below .500 won their division. Times change. Rules need to also. Of course Im bringing up now because it affects my team, but I felt the same way last year when Carolina won their division at 7-8-1 and a year or two before that when the Rams won at 7-9.

Of course the rules are the rules. I'm saying its time to change the rules. This will probably be the 3rd time in the past 5 years where a team below .500 won their division. Times change. Rules need to also. Of course Im bringing up now because it affects my team, but I felt the same way last year when Carolina won their division at 7-8-1 and a year or two before that when the Rams won at 7-9.

Seattle did it not the Rams. The reason I know is the Rams (my local team) lost to Seattle and Clipboard Jesus last game of that season. And yes the rules do change. During Miami's perfect season they had to go on the road to beat Pittsburgh in playoffs to get to SuperBowl. No reward for the best record back then.
Oddly enough teams with losing records entering playoffs have won their last 2 first round playoff games. I personally don't have a problem with it. A division is supposed to mean something. But, I wouldn't be bothered if divisions were eliminated either. But......It isn't going to change though if you think about it. NFL is all about MONEY and viewership. Just think how many games this week would have zero viewing and spectator interest if it was changed.
Yes, good teams will not be in....But they are not eliminated prior to kickoff this week. Texans/Jags, Colts/Titans game would have no interest prior to kickoff.. If Giants and Eagles had won last week, you and I both know that the sub .500 Eagles/Giants game would have been moved to primetime and billed as "win and you are in, lose and you go home". And it would have drawn big ratings...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Added meaningless thought... Those greedy NFL owners will talk about the injustice, but wont change it....In fact if anything they would use it as an excuse to add additional wildcard teams to the party while still keeping the division champs invitation intact.

Added meaningless thought... in fact if anything they would use it as an excuse to add additional wildcard teams to the party while still keeping the division champs invitation intact.

As per meaningless thoughts: Any chance they make that change and add those additional wildcards in the upcoming week? It would kind of be like a Hail Mary for the Steelers.

Another thing that needs to change but wont due to money. The kickoff. Its the most useless play in football. A complete waste of time. The vast majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and nothing happens. When the ball does get returned its almost always within a few yards of the 20 anyway. They moved the extra point back (which used to be the most boring play in football) to add some excitement to the game since nobody ever missed and now more teams go for 2 points, but they will never eliminate the most boring play in football because there is a commercial before a kickoff and then another one after the kickoff.

Another thing that needs to change but wont due to money. The kickoff. Its the most useless play in football. A complete waste of time. The vast majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and nothing happens. When the ball does get returned its almost always within a few yards of the 20 anyway. They moved the extra point back (which used to be the most boring play in football) to add some excitement to the game since nobody ever missed and now more teams go for 2 points, but they will never eliminate the most boring play in football because there is a commercial before a kickoff and then another one after the kickoff.

I remember recently somebody on TV proposing move kickoff back to 30yd line and the introduction to the forward pass on the kickoff as a safety measure. Now that would definitely put the slam on the violent downfield clashes as the defenses would have to slow down and cover areas to respect downfield pass.

I would like to publicly thank the Texans for overcoming a 2-5 start to cover my 8.5 over season win bet winning today and getting to 9-7. Thats a $1000 more added to my stash!

I would like to publicly thank the Texans for overcoming a 2-5 start to cover my 8.5 over season win bet winning today and getting to 9-7. Thats a $1000 more added to my stash!

Let's give Bill O'Brien credit. To do it with a QB carousel is good coaching.

This moron helped put your team in the playoffs.

The Jets went from 4-12 to 10-6 as soon as Rex left
The Bills went from 9-7 to 8-8 as soon as Rex got there and their defense went from #4 overall to #20.

Hes still a moron, but luckily the Bills did help the Steelers out.

Back
Top Bottom