Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You need to learn to read. I said:

I never said anything about him not missing a season. OTOH, you were just outright wrong where you said:

But I'm glad to see you finally conceded that they (Favre, Manning and Brady) have been very resilient, which is all that I said about Brady to begin with.
I know how to read, thank you. You said his injuries were "fairly minimal". Tearing your ACL and MCL is not minimal. I admitted when I was wrong, perhaps you should do the same instead of insulting me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #642

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Really? I don't think there's anyway to justify putting him higher than 3rd and could be down to 6th in voting. I'm not a Brady fan but as of now, he's the obvious MVP choice. Palmer in second, Russell, Rodgers, and Dalton in 3rd-5th in any order. Newton could end up 2nd if he doesn't throw any more INTs.
You are the same guy who tried to tell me that whoever made the power rankings and had Atlanta at #8 about 5 weeks ago was justified in his opinion because their record was good. They haven't won a game since then. They stink. They were 5-0 because they played 5 terrible teams to start the season. Anyone writing a power ranking column should do more research. If we only care about records we dont need power rankings. We can just look at the standings.

If Carolina wins 15 or 16 games, Newton will win the MVP. You can bet on that. I don't care what his completion percentage is. Hes not the best pure passer but hes having a ridiculous season as an all around QB. He has the exact same Total QBR rating as Brady, but thats not all that figures into it. They are tied for 9th believe it or not.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
The Steelers offense is dominant but the Pats offense with all its weapons is as good if not better. The Steelers are ranked 5th in points scored and the Pats 3rd. But to say the Pats defense isn't great is misleading they're ranked 6th in yards allowed to 23rd for the Steelers. Also the Steelers are not guaranteed to make the playoffs since they're behind the Chiefs and Jets who are currently the two AFC wild card teams.

BTW Vegas' odds makers still have the Pats and the Panthers equally favorite to win the SB with the Seahawks 3rd.
Why are you switching from points to yards when it fits you argument? Pick one and stick with it.
If you want to go by yards which you did when you talked about defense, the Steelers are #2 on offense and NE is #3. The Steelers are also WAY ahead of everyone on offense when Roethlisberger plays. He missed 4 full games and half of 2 other games.

Official rankings when someone says "So and so has the #1 ranked offense" is based on yards.

NE's defense was pretty bad when the season started but has gotten much much better down the stretch.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #644

The only reason the Jets are ahead of the Steelers in the wild card race right now is because they have a 6-4 conference record to Pittsburghs 5-4 record. You cant really compare when they number of games arent equal.

Based on remaining schedule, I will bet anyone willing to take the bet that the Steelers get a wild card. Hell, they might actually win the division if Cincy tanks without Dalton.

Pittsburgh plays Denver, Baltimore and Cleveland
Jets play Dallas, N.E, and Buffalo.

Even if both teams finish with the same record Pittsburgh will get the wild card. They will most like have the same conference record and the next tie breaker is strength of teams beaten and Pittsburgh has a huge advantage there. I dont expect them to finish with the same record anyway. Pittsburgh has a very good chance to win the last 3 and the Jets will probably lose to N.E. and may lose to Buffalo on the road.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #645
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know how to read, thank you. You said his injuries were "fairly minimal". Tearing your ACL and MCL is not minimal. I admitted when I was wrong, perhaps you should do the same instead of insulting me.
In this day and age a knee injury like that is not a big deal... quite common... though it does require a long recovery time so I'll stand by my "fairly minimal" and we can agree to disagree.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:18 AM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Why are you switching from points to yards when it fits you argument? Pick one and stick with it.
If you want to go by yards which you did when you talked about defense, the Steelers are #2 on offense and NE is #3. The Steelers are also WAY ahead of everyone on offense when Roethlisberger plays. He missed 4 full games and half of 2 other games.

Official rankings when someone says "So and so has the #1 ranked offense" is based on yards.

NE's defense was pretty bad when the season started but has gotten much much better down the stretch.
No matter how you slice it it will not change the crux of the argument that they both have potent offenses but the Patriots defense is far better than the Steelers.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #647

Quote:
You mean other than when he missed an entire season with a torn knee.
And they still went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. This is one reason why I can't go all-in with the talk about Brady as the best ever. If you can win 11 games with Matt Cassel, you had a LOT of help.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #648

Quote:
No matter how you slice it it will not change the crux of the argument that they both have potent offenses but the Patriots defense is far better than the Steelers.
Overall I would agree that the Pats defense is better than the Steelers when you break it down and evaluate everything, but in reality when it comes to wins and losses, the only thing that matters is how many points does a team allow. The Pats allow 19.5 pts per game. The Steelers allow 20 pts per game. I dont think 0.5 pt per game is going to make a huge difference.

All you need to do is get in the playoffs and then have a great 3-4 game run to win the SB. Just about anyone would look at a team like Philly at 6-7 and say they have no chance, but a few years ago the Giants were 6-7 and 7 weeks later they were the SB champs because they got hot at the right time and put together and amazing stretch of 6 games.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #649
Give me a forum ...

Yup... that is why we play the games... on any given Sunday anything can happen.

Like the Philly/Pats game... a couple big plays that took less than a minute of clock time made all the difference in the world... but then again you have those grind it out games with no big plays at all... I guess that is why we watch... to see what happens.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #650

Also, lets not forget that the Steelers have played a much tougher schedule than the Pats which explains a lot about why they have given up a lot more yards and a few more points. If NE played the same schedule the Steelers have played Id be willing to bet that they would have given up more points than the Steelers have. In the Steelers first 10 games, they played 6 of the top 10 passing offenses so its no wonder that they gave up more passing yards than a lot of teams did.

The Pats have played 1 team that has at least 10 wins and they lost.
The Steelers have played 4 teams with at least 10 wins and they are 2-2. Steelers have to play a 5th game against a 10 win team. Pats only play 1 all season.

The Pats only play 3 teams all season who currently are above .500
The Steelers play 7 teams all season who currently are above .500

Pats have only play 2 top 10 offenses (Jets and Steelers)
Steelers have played 5 top 10 offenses (Pats, Bengals, Bengals, Seattle, Arizona)

If you dont think any of that makes a difference in a teams final record or their offense and defensive stats then you dont know football. So if you want to be realistic about your team, you really need to look beyond the surface numbers.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #651

Quote:
If you dont think any of that makes a difference in a teams final record or their offense and defensive stats then you dont know football. So if you want to be realistic about your team, you really need to look beyond the surface numbers.
Here we go again..... You're the only one that knows football that's why you predicted the Pats' demise this year with the Baffalo Bills winning the division even before training camp started.

Let's hope your team makes it to the playoffs and come to Foxboro to play the Pats and will see who wins.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #652

Yep I was dead wrong on Buffalo. I blame that on Rex Ryan. He has everything he needs there to win. I also said KC would be really good and Atlanta stunk even after they started 5-0.
Dont worry, Im not saying your Pats aren't great because they are. Im not saying the Steelers will beat the Pats in Foxboro. The Pats will be the favorite if that happens. All I said was that the Pat's stats are inflated because they've played an easy schedule. That's not an opinion. That's a fact. Go look at the win / loss record of their opponents.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #653

Quote:
Dont worry, Im not saying your Pats aren't great because they are. Im not saying the Steelers will beat the Pats in Foxboro. The Pats will be the favorite if that happens. All I said was that the Pat's stats are inflated because they've played an easy schedule. That's not an opinion. That's a fact. Go look at the win / loss record of their opponents.
That's a contradiction. If the Pats stats are inflated then the Steelers with the uninflated stats should be better. No?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #654
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I blame that on Rex Ryan.
Good call...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #655
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....If you dont think any of that makes a difference in a teams final record or their offense and defensive stats then you dont know football. So if you want to be realistic about your team, you really need to look beyond the surface numbers.
Quote:
Here we go again..... You're the only one that knows football that's why you predicted the Pats' demise this year with the Baffalo Bills winning the division even before training camp started......
Quote:
Yep I was dead wrong on Buffalo. I blame that on Rex Ryan. He has everything he needs there to win. ....
Excuses, excuses.... so why should we believe you now?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #656

Quote:
That's a contradiction. If the Pats stats are inflated then the Steelers with the uninflated stats should be better. No?
I said if the Steelers play NE in Foxboro, NE will be the favorite. Playing at home is a massive advantage.

I never said either team is better.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #657
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OMG!!! For goodness sake Corporateburnout, please don't mention inflation around this crowd. Especially at this time of year.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #658

After reading today's football post/opinions on this board, I now know where we can find replacements for Al Michaels or Chris Collinsworth if they need to take a day off.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
After reading today's football post/opinions on this board, I now know where we can find replacements for Al Michaels or Chris Collinsworth if they need to take a day off.

You want me to work part time? UGH! No thanks.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You want me to work part time? UGH! No thanks.
+1 unless it was to replace Chucky, in which case I could rationalize it as a personal sacrifice for the public good.