Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #761
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I will not take that bet.
You may not take the bet but you will be rooting for the Bills. Wouldn't you?
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
You may not take the bet but you will be rooting for the Bills. Wouldn't you?
You said you bet I would be rooting for the Bills. I said I wouldn't take the bet because obviously I will be rooting for the Bills.

I really hate that the Steelers will probably be 10-6 and Houston and Washington will be 8-8 or 7-9 and win their divisions. I know thats the way the ball bounces, but its been happening too much in the last few years. Maybe the NFL should follow the NBA and go to Conference records for playoff seeding. Teams still play their own division teams more often, but the final seeding is determined who has the best records in the Conference.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #763

Quote:
I really hate that the Steelers will probably be 10-6 and Houston and Washington will be 8-8 or 7-9 and win their divisions.
And to make things worse the 8-8 or 7-9 division winner will get home field advantage over the 10-6 wild card team.

At the very least the NFL should give the home field advantage to the team with the better record.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #764
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You said you bet I would be rooting for the Bills. I said I wouldn't take the bet because obviously I will be rooting for the Bills.

I really hate that the Steelers will probably be 10-6 and Houston and Washington will be 8-8 or 7-9 and win their divisions. I know thats the way the ball bounces, but its been happening too much in the last few years. Maybe the NFL should follow the NBA and go to Conference records for playoff seeding. Teams still play their own division teams more often, but the final seeding is determined who has the best records in the Conference.
Quote:
And to make things worse the 8-8 or 7-9 division winner will get home field advantage over the 10-6 wild card team.

At the very least the NFL should give the home field advantage to the team with the better record.

Sorry guys.... but the rules are the rules....

Win your own division and there will be no whining....

Also, I do not think there will be any home filed advantage with the Texans....

As an aside, I remember back when Pittsburgh was winning Super Bowls.... the Oilers were one of the better teams but did not get any advantage.... because they did not win their division....

Just looked it up... they were 11-5 and got a wild card slot in 79.... but, all the teams in the playoffs had good records
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #765

Of course the rules are the rules. I'm saying its time to change the rules. This will probably be the 3rd time in the past 5 years where a team below .500 won their division. Times change. Rules need to also. Of course Im bringing up now because it affects my team, but I felt the same way last year when Carolina won their division at 7-8-1 and a year or two before that when the Rams won at 7-9.
NFL: 2015 Season
Old 01-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #766
Give me a forum ...

NFL: 2015 Season

Quote:
Of course the rules are the rules. I'm saying its time to change the rules. This will probably be the 3rd time in the past 5 years where a team below .500 won their division. Times change. Rules need to also. Of course Im bringing up now because it affects my team, but I felt the same way last year when Carolina won their division at 7-8-1 and a year or two before that when the Rams won at 7-9.

Seattle did it not the Rams. The reason I know is the Rams (my local team) lost to Seattle and Clipboard Jesus last game of that season. And yes the rules do change. During Miami's perfect season they had to go on the road to beat Pittsburgh in playoffs to get to SuperBowl. No reward for the best record back then.
Oddly enough teams with losing records entering playoffs have won their last 2 first round playoff games. I personally don't have a problem with it. A division is supposed to mean something. But, I wouldn't be bothered if divisions were eliminated either. But......It isn't going to change though if you think about it. NFL is all about MONEY and viewership. Just think how many games this week would have zero viewing and spectator interest if it was changed.
Yes, good teams will not be in....But they are not eliminated prior to kickoff this week. Texans/Jags, Colts/Titans game would have no interest prior to kickoff.. If Giants and Eagles had won last week, you and I both know that the sub .500 Eagles/Giants game would have been moved to primetime and billed as "win and you are in, lose and you go home". And it would have drawn big ratings...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #767
Give me a forum ...

Added meaningless thought... Those greedy NFL owners will talk about the injustice, but wont change it....In fact if anything they would use it as an excuse to add additional wildcard teams to the party while still keeping the division champs invitation intact.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Added meaningless thought... in fact if anything they would use it as an excuse to add additional wildcard teams to the party while still keeping the division champs invitation intact.

As per meaningless thoughts: Any chance they make that change and add those additional wildcards in the upcoming week? It would kind of be like a Hail Mary for the Steelers.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:16 AM   #769

Another thing that needs to change but wont due to money. The kickoff. Its the most useless play in football. A complete waste of time. The vast majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and nothing happens. When the ball does get returned its almost always within a few yards of the 20 anyway. They moved the extra point back (which used to be the most boring play in football) to add some excitement to the game since nobody ever missed and now more teams go for 2 points, but they will never eliminate the most boring play in football because there is a commercial before a kickoff and then another one after the kickoff.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #770
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another thing that needs to change but wont due to money. The kickoff. Its the most useless play in football. A complete waste of time. The vast majority of kickoffs are touchbacks and nothing happens. When the ball does get returned its almost always within a few yards of the 20 anyway. They moved the extra point back (which used to be the most boring play in football) to add some excitement to the game since nobody ever missed and now more teams go for 2 points, but they will never eliminate the most boring play in football because there is a commercial before a kickoff and then another one after the kickoff.

I remember recently somebody on TV proposing move kickoff back to 30yd line and the introduction to the forward pass on the kickoff as a safety measure. Now that would definitely put the slam on the violent downfield clashes as the defenses would have to slow down and cover areas to respect downfield pass.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #771
Give me a forum ...

I would like to publicly thank the Texans for overcoming a 2-5 start to cover my 8.5 over season win bet winning today and getting to 9-7. Thats a $1000 more added to my stash!

Old 01-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #772

Quote:
Rex should cut himself. What a moron.
This moron helped put your team in the playoffs.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #773

Quote:
I would like to publicly thank the Texans for overcoming a 2-5 start to cover my 8.5 over season win bet winning today and getting to 9-7. Thats a $1000 more added to my stash!

Let's give Bill O'Brien credit. To do it with a QB carousel is good coaching.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #774

Quote:
The Jets went from 4-12 to 10-6 as soon as Rex left
The Bills went from 9-7 to 8-8 as soon as Rex got there and their defense went from #4 overall to #20.

Hes still a moron, but luckily the Bills did help the Steelers out.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #775

Quote:
Moron? Rex Ryan should be voted Coach of the Year (so says a Steelers fan).
Old 01-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #776

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Moron? Rex Ryan should be voted Coach of the Year (so says a Steelers fan).
It was another Steelers fan that called him a moron. Not me
Old 01-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #777

Quote:
The Jets went from 4-12 to 10-6 as soon as Rex left
The Bills went from 9-7 to 8-8 as soon as Rex got there and their defense went from #4 overall to #20.

Hes still a moron, but luckily the Bills did help the Steelers out.
Not a Rex fan myself but let's give him a couple of years before we crucify him.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #778

Quote:
It was another Steelers fan that called him a moron. Not me
I see that now, but, gee, I'm sort of giddy with the Steelers making the playoffs. I have a feeling that the euphoria will not be reactivated once the play-offs start.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #779
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Let's give Bill O'Brien credit. To do it with a QB carousel is good coaching.

He and his coaches deserve credit for the incredible defensive turnaround during bye week...unbelievable... But his moronic handling of inserting Mallet as starter at halftime of first game and then declaring him starter was one of the worst coaching decisions of the year...Credit does go to him for manning up and acknowledging it though.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #780
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It's always nice to know where some of my money is going. Actually, I'm about even for the year (again) but I sure didn't expect the Texans to get this far. Good game today and a pretty fair defensive effort, especially with JJ.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote