Join Early Retirement Today

NFL: 2015 Season
Old 01-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #841
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Lewis obviously doesnt know the rules. Burficts hit to Antonio Brown's head was dirty and malicious. He was defenseless with his arms in the air trying to catch the ball. Burfict will probably get suspended for the first game of next year on top of a fine for that hit.

Shazier's hit on Bernard which also knocked him out was totally legal. Bernard was running the ball and both players ducked their heads when they collided. Helmet to helmet contact is stupid but legal on a runner.

I agree with what you have said, but I bet fully Lewis knows the rules... Most coaches have trained themselves not to be candid or emotional after a game. And publicly calling out players through media is usually frowned upon "inside the circle" no matter how obvious it may be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #842
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Can't believe what Cincinnati did to themselves.
Or the Texans.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #843
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A few weeks ago when the Steelers and Bengals played there were $140,000 in fines handed out to players on both sides. The teams clearly dont like each other and Im not saying the Steelers are innocent because they can get rowdy also, but the Bengals (mainly 2 or 3 players) have chips on their shoulders. In that game Burfict had 3 separate persoanl fouls called on him including one where he intentionally dove at Roethlisbergers knees. Half of that $140,000 in fines went just to Burfict. He was so out of control that before this game there was a story that he promised his teammates that he would keep his composure. You dont do that unless you are constantly losing your composure. Then he obviously did it over and over again this time.

Hes also the one who tackled LeVeon Bell and ripped his knee to shreds in mid season. Although it was a legal tackle, apparently afterwards, he and other Bengals were clapping and celebrating.
I was surprised when it was mentioned at the start of the game that the same head referee was officiating last night's game as for the game a few weeks earlier. That seems like a bad idea on several levels to me.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #844
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lewis obviously doesnt know the rules. Burficts hit to Antonio Brown's head was dirty and malicious. He was defenseless with his arms in the air trying to catch the ball. Burfict will probably get suspended for the first game of next year on top of a fine for that hit.

Shazier's hit on Bernard which also knocked him out was totally legal. Bernard was running the ball and both players ducked their heads when they collided. Helmet to helmet contact is stupid but legal on a runner.
Fortunately, the hit on Brown's head was more a glancing blow than direct or Brown could have been paralyzed.

The most gruesome football injury I ever saw on TV was former Bears wide receiver Johnny Knox going to recover a fumble but end up braking his back. Legal hit but just gruesome. I have no interest in watching any replays of that.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #845
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Or the Texans.

I feel sorry for Texans fans especially since Texans won me a grand on covering 8.5 season win total...Brian Hoyer, my land....He made Ryan Lindleys playoff performance last year for the Big Red look like a MVP performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #846
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow.

He's sure to have nightmares tonight.

Seahawks sure get lucky at times.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #847
Recycles dryer sheets

Nooooo....
Old 01-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #848
Give me a forum ...

Not a good weekend to be a Cinncinnati or Vikings fan...snatching defeat from the jaws of vistory, ouch. The Texans weren't ever in it. So much for home field advantage, 0-3 so far...

[Update, 0-4. The visiting underdogs won every game, has that ever happened before?]

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not a good weekend to be a Cinncinnati or Vikings fan...snatching defeat from the jaws of vistory, ouch. The Texans weren't ever in it. So much for home field advantage, 0-3 so far...
Lucky for me the Packers won or I would have been 0 for 4 for the weekend. I'll be glad when the US markets open in the morning. I seem to do a lot better at picking winners and making money there.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #850
Give me a forum ...

What happened to the Vikings? They can't win in their own Freezer Bowl? Not so good.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:46 AM   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
What happened to the Vikings? They can't win in their own Freezer Bowl? Not so good.
I had no dog in the hunt in that game, but that was one of the luckiest wins I have *ever* seen. Seattle had no business winning that game. Their entire game was three plays: the missed FG, the broken play off of a bad snap, and the Peterson fumble. That's it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #852

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I had no dog in the hunt in that game, but that was one of the luckiest wins I have *ever* seen. Seattle had no business winning that game. Their entire game was three plays: the missed FG, the broken play off of a bad snap, and the Peterson fumble. That's it.
+1.
I also don't really root for/against either team. I guess the old maxim, "better lucky than good" still applies. The Seahawks were lucky yesterday.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #853

Quote:
It was also the most boring playoff game Ive ever seen. I know it was mostly due to the bone chilling cold, but jeez. Before the game Russell Wilson said the cold wouldnt be a factor. Come on, Man!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #854

Quote:
Seattle had no business winning that game. Their entire game was three plays: the missed FG, the broken play off of a bad snap, and the Peterson fumble. That's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
+1.
I guess the old maxim, "better lucky than good" still applies. The Seahawks were lucky yesterday.
+1
Old 01-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #855

OK, now we've reached an all time low. Rex Ryan hired his brother Rob Ryan to coach the Bills defense. Here is Rob Ryans resume:

Defensive Coordinator
Oakland 2004-2008
2004...30th in defense
2005...27th in defense
2006...3rd in defense (18th in points allowed)
2007...22nd in defense
2008...27th in defense...got fired

Cleveland Defensive Coordinator
2009...31st in defense
2010...22nd in defense...got fired

Dallas Defensive Coordinator
2011...14th in defense
2012...19th in defense (24th in points allowed)...fired

New Orleans Defensive Coordinator
2013...4th in defense (up from dead last the previous year)
2014...31st in defense (yep...I knew last year was an anomaly)...fired

Honestly you cant get much worse than this guy. 11 years as a D coordinator and 7 of them ranked 22nd or worse. Lets not forget that Rex Ryan already took the Bills defense from 4th to 19th in one year. Check back next year. I bet they both get fired within 2 years.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #856
Give me a forum ...

Given the Bill's defense was 19th this season, I would think Rob would fit in nicely.... in fact last season was probably a good head start for him on dragging them to the bottom of the standings in defense.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #857

Quote:
OK, now we've reached an all time low. Rex Ryan hired his brother Rob Ryan to coach the Bills defense. Here is Rob Ryans resume:

Defensive Coordinator
Oakland 2004-2008
2004...30th in defense
2005...27th in defense
2006...3rd in defense (18th in points allowed)
2007...22nd in defense
2008...27th in defense...got fired

Cleveland Defensive Coordinator
2009...31st in defense
2010...22nd in defense...got fired

Dallas Defensive Coordinator
2011...14th in defense
2012...19th in defense (24th in points allowed)...fired

New Orleans Defensive Coordinator
2013...4th in defense (up from dead last the previous year)
2014...31st in defense (yep...I knew last year was an anomaly)...fired

Honestly you cant get much worse than this guy. 11 years as a D coordinator and 7 of them ranked 22nd or worse. Lets not forget that Rex Ryan already took the Bills defense from 4th to 19th in one year. Check back next year. I bet they both get fired within 2 years.
Clearly, the stats are not good. But, getting fired in the NFL is probably not very meaningful. I watched the profile of Bruce Arians' career on "A Football Life", and he was fired at least six times. This is the same guy who's been named AP NFL Coach of the Year two of the last three years. But, he also has a 34-14 record in his latest job as Cardinals Head Coach so, there ya go. And, he seems like a pretty cool guy. I can see why he's able to get the best out of his players.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #858

You're right. Guys get fired all the time in the NFL, but a lot of the time it has to do with personality or a new coach coming in and wanting a friend of his, someone hes worked with before or someone with a more similar philosophy. When you get fired over and over because of your terrible results, its a different thing altogether. Arians has has good results most of his career and I was not happy when Pittsburgh didnt re-sign him as their offensive coordinator when his contract expired (he wasn't fired). Pittsburgh wanted Todd Haley whose father was a long time Steeler scout and Haley was good friends with the Rooneys.

The good news is that now the Ryans can only screw up 1 team instead of 2.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #859

Quote:
The good news is that now the Ryans can only screw up 1 team instead of 2.
+1

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #860
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OTOH, Minnesota never managed to score one touchdown. As I said, Not So Good for the Vikings. The Seahawk defense must have been doing something right.

Neither team looked like a Super Bowl winner.